Joss Stone - where did it go wrong?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
She is rarely mentioned these days which is a shame.

She has such a powerful soulful voice and some of her recent albums like Colour me free and soul sessions 2 were impressive.

She seems to mainly focus on touring these days and is not too concerned with album sales.

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely at the infamous Brits when she had the strange accen t. People seemed to go off her then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Surely at the infamous Brits when she had the strange accen t. People seemed to go off her then.

This. And the Flake debacle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's true but accents are contagious - she had spent several years in the USA so it was natural she was going to develop an American accent.

Nowadays, however, she has reverted back to her UK accent.

See the second half of this clip from 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C-00InTQp0
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne of Cleeves suited her...dodgy accent and all.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    She doesn't come across as very likeable to be honest. Which doesn't mean that she isn't nice it may be a projection problem. But that Brits was absolutely cringe worthy - plus she then went onto compound the cringe worthiness the next morning on the Moyles Show, which I'm sure her people were relying on to limit the damage caused. Massively backfired. And it wasn't just the phony accent that jarred, it was her whole demeanour that night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Anne of Cleeves suited her...dodgy accent and all.

Anna von Kleve, bitte :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont like using the word 'fake'.... but in this case it fits.

she has a very soulful voice, but shes a middle class white girl from the countryside, so doesnt have the background to convey true soul. plus, success went to her head.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it ever go 'right'?:confused:
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this performance by her
  • TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I know she may have made a few mistakes but I just don't understand how she can be ignored. How can we ignore such great talent? She has an absolutely fantastic voice and her live performances are incredible. Shes got such a smokey soulful voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1eCVH07OU

Fell In Love With a Boy live from New York last year.

How fantastic does Joss, her band and her backing singers sound?

I don't want to sound like I'm on a massive rant but I don't understand how we can support all these one hit wonders and not dig a little deeper into the music scene and not support singers like Joss?

Forget about her personality if you don't like it (I personally think shes great!) and just appreciate her music and how great she is live. :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brits all there is too it that accent that speech and the media backlash meaning Joss was over and done with see ya don't come back Joss and take that purple hair with you :D . Which is a shame as she has a fantastic voice and some truly great albums America has embraced her however so i'm sure she's not to bothered.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I've never liked her voice. It always sounds like she's trying too hard and it's not pleasant to listen to IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just done the remake of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds with Gary Barlow etc.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She gets a lot of flak but she has a great voice, yet the UK music industry would rather promote Cheryl Cole. The US has a legion of great solo female singers, here in the UK only pretty boys and vacant girls get a look in it seems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she has no one to blame but herself that Brits incident i know spend enough time somewhere else you normally pick up little things accents , habits etc.. but that was either badly acted or she was off her face that time
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont like using the word 'fake'.... but in this case it fits.

she has a very soulful voice, but shes a middle class white girl from the countryside, so doesnt have the background to convey true soul. plus, success went to her head.

So you have to be black, poor and born in a city to sing the way she does:rolleyes:

She's only 25, still very young with lots of time to 'mature'.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened at the Brits? I don't remember.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Why do people always mention her accent and her personality. If being likeable was key to being a successful star, 90% of the people ruling the charts would be looking for a day job.

It's all about radio snubbing her after she chose to ignore her label and do her own thing for her 4th album. Everything was alright up until her third album, but then she started calling the shots and mainstream stopped caring. She still makes amazing music though, so I couldn't care less about her sales tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Why do people always mention her accent and her personality. If being likeable was key to being a successful star, 90% of the people ruling the charts would be looking for a day job.

It's all about radio snubbing her after she chose to ignore her label and do her own thing for her 4th album. Everything was alright up until her third album, but then she started calling the shots and mainstream stopped caring. She still makes amazing music though, so I couldn't care less about her sales tbh.

Well summed up; I totally agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »

This, especially re: likeability. Many acts past & present have been unlikeable but still sell loads of records.
    Perhaps her ex-label blackballed her in the industry when she decided to do things herself, making things difficult for her.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    So you have to be black, poor and born in a city to sing the way she does:rolleyes:

It does help when you're talking about soul music.
    The point about soul is you gotta be real and that's the one thing Joss Stone is not!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also going on Chris Moyles and complaining how "hard" it was to do what she did. Saw an interview with her last year and she'd completely changed (grown up i suspect..). Came across as really nice and personable.

And her last album was terrific
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcusgv wrote: »
    It does help when you're talking about soul music.
    The point about soul is you gotta be real and that's the one thing Joss Stone is not!

If you had never seen her or knew much of her backround and just heard her voice would you then still hold the same opinion.

Also with Joss people talk of the new wave of female singers in the UK with advent of Adele doing so well but way back in 04 joss had cracked America and was making waves there and it seems to have been all but forgotten like a media whitewash.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

She's only 25, still very young with lots of time to 'mature'.

...to sing soul believably, you have to know wtf you are on about. it derived directly from blues, a style steeped in suffering, depression, emotion.

no, you dont have to be a poor, black, american to understand how to sing soul, but it helps! joss stone might have the sound of a soul singer, but she hasnt the deep seated emotion, how can she? shes a wealthy middle class white girl from the countryside! the chances of her being able to connect to the pain, the emotion, are remote.... and this has been proven by her lack of any material in recent years.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...to sing soul believably, you have to know wtf you are on about. it derived directly from blues, a style steeped in suffering, depression, emotion.

no, you dont have to be a poor, black, american to understand how to sing soul, but it helps! joss stone might have the sound of a soul singer, but she hasnt the deep seated emotion, how can she? shes a wealthy middle class white girl from the countryside! the chances of her being able to connect to the pain, the emotion, are remote.... and this has been proven by her lack of any material in recent years.

People in the countryside probably go through pain and anguish too I'd imagine.

It ain't all about living in the "projects"...