Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 Years A Slave

Difficult to rate films like this as they are such difficult viewing. It's wonderfully made, the acting by everyone is top notch but my word it makes you want to avert your eyes it's so upsetting. "Roots" for a new generation....

7/10
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the first one too. I think Rowan Atkinson is very funny but I guess the first one was more original. Plus, I missed Bough from the second movie too
    ^^ Completely agree with what you put. I missed Bough too :( their chemistry in the first one was hilarious and sadly missed in the sequel.

From what I understand, Ben Miller was approached for the sequel, but he could have done Johnny English, in the freezing cold and damp English weather, or spent the entire Summer in the Caribbean doing "Death In Paradise"...Hmmmm.....I wonder which one I would have chosen. :D

I liked "Reborn," because Johnny English grew up a little. To credibly remain an active part of the Secret Service, he would have to have become skilled in other things, rather than just bumbling about and winning by sheer luck. I wonder if there is a second sequel in the offing.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R. I. P. D. 7/10

Now, I liked this movie (always been a fan of Jeff bridges), but thankfully I read the reviews AFTER I watched it.

Yes, it was somewhat derivative of MIB and a little Ghostbusters-esque (let's face it, it was a movie about ghosts and it would have been inevitable to have compared the two), but I think they struck the balance quite well. I was shocked to see that it didn't do as well in the US as I believe it deserved. Ryan Reynolds is finding it hard to live down the other flop of the Green Lantern (another panned movie that I think didn't deserve most of its criticisms) and Kevin Bacon put in an adequate, if a little over the top, performance (personally I don't think he has done anything halfway decent since Mystic River and Hollow Man, but that's my opinion).

But, the star of the picture was Jeff Bridges. It was a pleasure to see him work to his strengths of deep characterisation and watch him immerse himself into the role of Roycephus Pulsipher, as well as showing us that he had a feminine side as well. ;)

In fact, I might even up my score to a 7.5/10, as we don't hear him sing enough in his movies. :)
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue Jasmine - 7/10

Easy to see why Cate Blanchett won the Oscar for this, she was just great.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    so was he digitally enhanced. :confused::o
    Disappointingly, no! :p
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exchange (Hahithalfut) (2011) 7/10
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locke - Probably the most tense film I've seen all year, though I am a sucker for these high concept movies with just one character in one location.

9/10
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cat Girl [1957]. Director: Alfred Shaughnessy

6/10

British Cat People rip-off has some effective scare scenes.

She Couldn't Say No (aka Beautiful but Dangerous)[1954]. Director: Lloyd Bacon

5/10

Small town romance with Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons wasted.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNOWPIERCER - 7half/10
    interesting little curio this one ..... then the polar bear eat them :D
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locke - Probably the most tense film I've seen all year, though I am a sucker for these high concept movies with just one character in one location.

9/10

Brilliant movie and a 9/10 from me too. It wasn't the last one I watched though.

Guardians of the Galaxy

9/10

A really fun movie that you must see. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OCULUS - 7/10
    unusual one this, not quite sure what to make of it, a very low key horror ..... that takes a quite a bit of concentration on, and is a bit of a mess when you view it.

but there's certainly something underneath it all
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigon (1987)

Excellent thriller set in 1968 occupied Saigon with Willem Dafoe & Gregory Hynes as two detectives searching for a serial killer with high military connections. Shame they didn't continue making these films, as Hynes & Dafoe have superb chemistry together, one of the best bromances I've seen on screen.

8/10

No Country For Old Men

Second viewing after a couple of years and I enjoyed it as much as the first time. Chigur is such an extraordinary villain, the film really drops in quality whenever he's not on screen.

8/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Begin Again - 8/10

Loved it. great feel good story that isnt as predictable as people wnat it to be.
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rambo
    good for a popcorn couple of hours 7/10
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lady Eve (1941)

Loved it! Stanwyck and Fonda were excellent.

9/10
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She Couldn't Say No (aka Beautiful but Dangerous)[1954]. Director: Lloyd Bacon

5/10

Small town romance with Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons wasted.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Watched it about 6 months ago and was so disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    locke 2014 - 1/10

a movie of a guy in a car driving and talking on the phone for 2 hours nothing else hapens nothing, worst idea for a movie ever
    after 10 minutes your hoping he crashes but alas no.
    worst film so far unwatchable
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Guardians Of The Galaxy

4.5/5
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Hide and seek, De Niro and Dakota Fanning..7/10 Some good jumpy bits. Dvd comes with alternate endings. Only saw it once shortly after release. Remembered a bit, but was still a good watch. Can't complain secondhand for a quid!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    First Blood

Sly Stallone finds another icon in this famous and still serviceable actioner, caught intriguingly between 70s pessimism and 80s bang for buck. A social reject chased by torch-wielding locals before a showdown with his creator - the Frankenstein parallels are uncanny. He even stitches himself back together at one point. 7.5/10

Stir of Echoes

Kevin Bacon gets the spooks in this quietely effective supernatural thriller. Sadly got a bit lost amidst all the palaver around the overblown Sixth Sense I understand. Shame. Our Kev draws the short straw again eh. Doh! 7/10

Snowpiercer

Visually arresting Euro fantasy, but the lump-hammer obviousness of the politics really starts to grind. 6/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHARKNADO 2 THE SECOND ONE ..... get ready ..... 8/10!!!
    the madness returns, and it was bloody good actually!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Knight Rider the movie (from 2000 I think) with the Hoff - it was amazing. We loved it.
    9/10
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankenstein 1931

I not really sure what make of it , I actually think it aged really well , as it was PG , I did not expect to be scary or creepy for these days.

I really liked that movie did not take long to get going and the movie flowed really well from start to end.

Also there one creepy scene also crazy too , I am talking one of the most famous science ,, which have spoofed for donkey's years , the ITS ALIVE scene .

The acting. For that Scene was really good and I did find some parts of the movie little funny .

I going to give it 7 out of 10 really good movie

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

I actually think enjoyed this sequel more then the first movie , or I say about the same really .
    I liked how they recapped what happened in the first movie, while this story was being told to someone.

I liked how the movie did not take long to get going and as we found out , the two people you we thought were dead we're actually alive .

I liked some parts of the movie were funny, with the old lady , screaming , it was silly , funny and a bit annoying all at the same time.

I really enjoyed the blind man science . We're Franky learns how to speak.

I was little disappointed that the movie ended far to seen after the bride was made , that the bad thing I can say about this movie .

I am giving this movie 8 out of 10
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,163
    Forum Member
    Oliver (1968) - 9/10
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To The Wonder - Interesting how Terrence Malick's films have become increasingly more abstract over the years. This film however borders on being completely incoherent. The beautiful cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki saves it though.

5/10

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A pleasant step up from the first film, so much so that I'm genuinely looking forward to the final two films. Kinda regret not seeing this at the cinema since I thought the first Hunger Games was passable at best (which I did see on the big screen). That transition to IMAX has to be the best transition I've ever seen.

7/10
This discussion has been closed.