Mel & Kim - they had The X Factor

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
Forum Member
My deluxe edition of FLM came today - but I'm a little disappointed they haven't used the original album versions of Showing Out, Respectable and FLM - they've replaced them with the single edits (the Showing Out 7" edit is dreadful). Looks like I'll be keeping my original FLM CD. Cherry Pop usually put the 7" versions at the end and keep the album as it was. The rest is wonderful though - AWESOME CD booklet with a LOT of Kim comments.

Who else thinks the girls would've had much more success in the 90's had Mel not sadly died....they were magic to watch

Comments

• sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I can't decide between buying this or their "Best Of" CD. I love Respectable and "That's The Way It Is". I think Mel & Kim were great and it's a real shame Mel died so young.

I've bought other Cherry Pop CD's by Sonia and Big Fun. They're great.
  • x_hayes_xx_hayes_x Posts: 6,285
    Forum Member
    I love 'Respectable'...it's one of my favourite songs! <3:):D
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Stock Aitken & Waterman. Far better than the rubbish Cowell and his companions churn out. Mel & Kim were great. Who knows what they would have gone onto do had Mel not died so prematurely.

Any way, Respectable is one of my all time favourite tracks. So ahead of its time. A great pop/dance crossover track with balls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sej17 wrote: »
    I can't decide between buying this or their "Best Of" CD. I love Respectable and "That's The Way It Is". I think Mel & Kim were great and it's a real shame Mel died so young.

Having got both cds...(the original FLM release), I would go for The Best Of...myself.

Sonia's re-release is fantastic.

I didn't/haven't bought the Big Fun re-release because I wasn't sure whether it would be worth it as I have the original.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Who else thinks the girls would've had much more success in the 90's had Mel not sadly died....they were magic to watch

i dont think theyd have any more success. they were a one trick pony, ok i quite like some of their material, 'showin out' was my fav, but that sound was exhausted by 90. people were fed up of s/a/w (even the fans...hence they faded).
    miles19740 wrote: »
    I love Stock Aitken & Waterman. Far better than the rubbish Cowell and his companions churn out. .

change the record miles.... :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel & Kim certainly were better than the rest of the dross that SAW churned out.

Sonia, Big Fun, Reynolds Girls, Rick &^%$ Astley, Kylie etc were the death of music as far as I'm concerned, I believed it then & I still believe it now !!

The fact that SAW believed that they were the new Motown was an insult to Berry Gordy & the fantastic, real musicians on Motown's rosta
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    Mel & Kim certainly were better than the rest of the dross that SAW churned out.

Sonia, Big Fun, Reynolds Girls, Rick &^%$ Astley, Kylie etc were the death of music as far as I'm concerned, I believed it then & I still believe it now !!

The fact that SAW believed that they were the new Motown was an insult to Berry Gordy & the fantastic, real musicians on Motown's rosta

spot on! ;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spot on! ;):)

and you know what mushymanrob?, I felt soo much better after that little rant too !!

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sej17 wrote: »

Great song. But think they where very much of there time.

SAW where on the slide by 1990/1991 so I dont think they would have made it that far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Mel Died???!????

When did this happen?? :confused:
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrissywp wrote: »
    Mel Died???!????

When did this happen?? :confused:

1990, she had cancer, but died from an infection she picked up and couldn't fight off because of the chemotherapy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    aww man that sucks :(

That's put a downer on my day
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Great song. But think they where very much of there time.

SAW where on the slide by 1990/1991 so I dont think they would have made it that far.

They left PWL and wrote (along with Craig from Bros) what became Kim's solo album. Don't Worry, G.L.A.D. (the sequel to F.L.M!!) and Mama would've been the 5th, 6th and 7th Mel & Kim singles. I think they would've made more after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wrong...Mel & Kim, Rick, Kylie, Reynolds Girls, Bananarama, Dead or Alive, Princess and Lonnie Gordon were the best of SAW.

I will not have you slaggin' off the third most successful songwriters and producers of all time.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's impossible to get the brilliant 7" version of Showing Out these days, unless you happen to have the original disc or else an old compilation album from the time knocking about (it was on Now 8 IIRC). The album version just drags on and on, whilst the single version used on compilations etc nowadays is a totally pointlessly remixed piece of shit that literally just sounds cut into random bits and reassmbled in no kind of order whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong...Mel & Kim, Rick, Kylie, Reynolds Girls, Bananarama, Dead or Alive, Princess and Lonnie Gordon were the best of SAW.

I will not have you slaggin' off the third most successful songwriters and producers of all time.

kylies best material was after she left s/a/w

and weve done this before...theyt are NOT the third most successful songwriters of all time, that statistic is based on 'weeks in chart' and bares no relationship to quality, nor even of sales. anyone can mass produce dross for kids then claim to be successful. NO awards, NO merit, NO respect ... for a team that supposedly spent so long in the charts thats a damning indictment of the poor quality of their material.

ps...you are the only one ive ever known that chamipons the reynolds girls, even amongst s/a/w fans....they were a complete joke.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    x_hayes_x wrote: »
    I love 'Respectable'...it's one of my favourite songs! <3:):D

I love that song too :D
    Forum Member
    I love that song too :D

Woo lol! :):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Tay, tay, tay, tay, ta, ta, ta..."
    Forum Member
    "Tay, tay, tay, tay, ta, ta, ta..."

Lol! :):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    They left PWL and wrote (along with Craig from Bros) what became Kim's solo album. Don't Worry, G.L.A.D. (the sequel to F.L.M!!) and Mama would've been the 5th, 6th and 7th Mel & Kim singles. I think they would've made more after that.

..but surely if they/she was that good kim would still be a household name with or without her sister. so no, i dont think they had the x factor and their career lasted as long as it was going too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but after the first two there is a huge drop-off!

You may note that I'd didn't "slag off" Dead or Alive or Princess whom I bought think were excellent.

Bananarama career was relaunched by SAW, they had huge success prior to that.

I can't stand their post '86 output, bassless, formulaic tripe.

I can't add anymore than mushymanrob, summed up perfectly

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but after the first two there is a huge drop-off!

You may note that I'd didn't "slag off" Dead or Alive or Princess whom I bought think were excellent.

Bananarama career was relaunched by SAW, they had huge success prior to that.

I can't stand their post '86 output, bassless, formulaic tripe.

I can't add anymore than mushymanrob, summed up perfectly

:)

Wrong...SAW's best stuff was with Princess, Dead or Alive, Bananarama, Rick, Mel and Kim, Lonnie Gordon, Sybil and Kylie.

SAW did re-launch Bananarama...their most successful and best years to date. Nothing prior to the SAW period dented the charts...and when they left SAW...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong...SAW's best stuff was with Princess, Dead or Alive, Bananarama, Rick, Mel and Kim, Lonnie Gordon, Sybil and Kylie.

SAW did re-launch Bananarama...their most successful and best years to date. Nothing prior to the SAW period dented the charts...and when they left SAW...

Have you been drinking??

You are seriously suggesting that NOTHING Bananrama did prior to SAW dented the charts?

T'ain't What You Do (It's the Way That You Do It) # 4
    Really Sayin' Somethin' #5
    Shy Boy # 4
    Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye # 5
    Cruel Summer # 8
    Robert DeNiro's Waiting # 3
    Rough Justice #23

Their pre-SAW chart positions are higher across the board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

they AGREED about princess, d or a, mel n kim...

WHAT?.... "nothing (bananarama did) dented the charts?" :D

miles yet again you are showing your complete ignorance over music... they had 6 top ten hits prior to s/a/w, with s/a/w they had 4!!!!!