PS3 speakers

dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,084
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone got any suggestions for speakers for a PS3?

I don't have a TV at the mo, but my computer monitot has a HDMI input so i assume i can plug the PS3 into that? But the monitor has no speakers and the PS3 doesn't seem to have a sound jack port to plug my speakers for my computer into.

So anyone else tried this and, if so, what speakers did you get?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ps3 will fit your monitor via hdmi

there is also an optcal output for sound
    so any speakers with optical input will be fine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you got a scart connector for the PS3 if so you can use the red and white jacks to connect to a stereo amp or whatever, you'll have to change the sound output in the PS3 to multi-out (i think) hope thats helpfull.
  • dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to answer my own question, and in case anyone else has a similar query, I ended up buying this for £13:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009CRN810/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works perfectly. Plug one end into the HDMI port on the PS3, then a normal VGA cable to the computer monitor and it's got a sound jack port to plug into normal bog-standard computer speakers.

Set it up today and works without a problem. Only issue is that it's a bit of a faff having to reach around the back of the PC to unplug the speakers each time I want to use the PS3 - I'll probably just go and buy a cheap 2nd pair of speakers for the PS3.

It's slightly ironic that I originally bought this computer monitor because it had both a VGA and a HDMI sockets with the idea being that I plug the computer into the VGA and the PS3 into the HDMI but it's ended up the other way now.
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you've got a solution and I don't know your budget/space etc, but have you considered getting an Amp with HDMI and separate speakers - would save the cable fiddling and give you better sound.

If you get the right one now you could then use it when you get a new TV.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    dronkula wrote: »
    Just to answer my own question, and in case anyone else has a similar query, I ended up buying this for £13:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009CRN810/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works perfectly. Plug one end into the HDMI port on the PS3, then a normal VGA cable to the computer monitor and it's got a sound jack port to plug into normal bog-standard computer speakers.

Set it up today and works without a problem. Only issue is that it's a bit of a faff having to reach around the back of the PC to unplug the speakers each time I want to use the PS3 - I'll probably just go and buy a cheap 2nd pair of speakers for the PS3.

It's slightly ironic that I originally bought this computer monitor because it had both a VGA and a HDMI sockets with the idea being that I plug the computer into the VGA and the PS3 into the HDMI but it's ended up the other way now.

You know someone already mentioned that you could have just bought some standard AV cables and plug that into your PS3 just for Sound, and it would have been cheaper than that AND you would still get to use HDMI. :p

edit: You wouldn't even have to buy them! They come with the PS3! :D
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah people don't know that the PS3 can have 2 sound outputs.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Though when you select multi-out the PS3 will down-convert Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to standard DD and DTS for all the digital sound outs, including HDMI. This is only a problem when playing Bluray movies and you've got and AV amp with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD sound capability as I don't know of any games that use TrueHD or DTS-HD.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I use my HC sound system!