Watching A Film Only Once?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was talking to someone about Schindlers List the other day and they said 'i watched it once and i never could again,it was an amazing powerful film but once is enough' and while i do understand this view point that some films you only need to see once i can also see why watching again could sometimes be a good idea.

I have seen schindlers list about 4 times, the last one was last week and all 3 other times when it gets to the bit at the end when Schindler breaksdown and the jewish woman picks up his jacket and begins to undo the buttons i swear every single time i wondered why she was doing it! it was only this most recent time i finally realised that Schindler is wearing the jacket when he climbs in the car so it means the jewish woman took the jacket and undid the buttons so they could put his jacket on him. it was an act of kindness because he was in such an emotional state And its taken me 4 viewings to realise it!

So that tells me that you can still pick up on things you missed the first time with any film, even after numerous rewatchs.

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there are some films I have watched and would never watch again. And I mean films I have enjoyed, but don't see the point or have the desire to watch again.

Most recent example I can think of is Senna.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty much like it with most films. Some films I will watch over and over again, usually with a year or 2 between watches. Mainly BTTF and Poltergiest 1 & 2, I don't count 3 as having existed. :D

I'm the same with TV shows, onc I know whats happend I don't bother with them again unless I really like them, the one I watch over and over is Sliders and Babylon 5.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand your friend's point with Schindler's List. I've only seen it once as well. Its a fantastically made film, but it is also very emotionally draining. Its good to have seen it at least once, but its also kinda not something I want to put myself through regularly!
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone about Schindlers List the other day and they said 'i watched it once and i never could again,it was an amazing powerful film but once is enough' and while i do understand this view point that some films you only need to see once i can also see why watching again could sometimes be a good idea.

I have seen schindlers list about 4 times, the last one was last week and all 3 other times when it gets to the bit at the end when Schindler breaksdown and the jewish woman picks up his jacket and begins to undo the buttons i swear every single time i wondered why she was doing it! it was only this most recent time i finally realised that Schindler is wearing the jacket when he climbs in the car so it means the jewish woman took the jacket and undid the buttons so they could put his jacket on him. it was an act of kindness because he was in such an emotional state And its taken me 4 viewings to realise it!

So that tells me that you can still pick up on things you missed the first time with any film, even after numerous rewatchs.

I've never seen Schindler's List.

Thanks for spoiling it.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for spoiling it.

To be fair, the film did come out in 1993. People can't be expected to assume that they can't talk about a film that is that old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for spoiling it.

the film is about 3 hours long and came out in 1993. i post a brief description of ONE scene in the film and i get attacked for 'spoiling' it

do get a life dear!!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'm like that with the vast majority of films, but some just have to be re-watched. Inception was even better the second time, and the second time I watched The Shawshank Redemption it felt like I was watching it from a different perspective altogether.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I find I tend to watch most of these oscar winning type films only once. The likes of Gandhi for instance. Really brilliant film but I have never seen it again. Same with The English Patient, Chariots Of Fire, Unforgiven, Crash and Dances With Wolves. All best picture winners that I have only seen once. As for Schindlers List I once watched the first hour but never got round to finishing it off.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Films Like Blair Witch, Grave Encounters can only be watched once, I watched grave Encounters with my mate the other week and they never saw it and it did not have the same effect on me.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irreversible is an extremely powerful and well made film , but I have no desire to watch it again , the rape scene is just too upsetting .
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Schindler's List twice at the cinema. I went by myself for the first viewing, then with some friends for the second. I have it on DVD, and it's a film that always comes up fresh.

There are numerous films that I've only seen once, and will never watch (endure) again.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever buy DVDs of films, as once I've seen them I rarely want to see them again. The only exception I can think of isn't actually a feature film as such, but Dancing Queen, starring Rik Mayall and Helena Bonham Carter. I never seem to tire of watching that and might have seen it about fifty times.

I bought Senna for my dad, thinking he might like it. I put it on and I think he made a real effort to keep watching it, but it was dull beyond belief. All the drivers featured seemed to have had a personality bypass and it was without doubt the dullest thing I have ever tried to watch of any genre. I'm sure that if they forced it upon inmates of Guantanamo Bay, they would have been begging to be waterboarded instead.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't watch Lincoln a second time; great movie but I did find it a hard work.

I can't watch The Ring again, it scared the ever living **** out of me :D

I've never watched The Usual Suspects again since I first saw it. Fantastic film, great twist - but once you know the twist I see no point in a re-watch.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only watched 'Control' once and will never watch it again. I've never been left so depressed by a film in my life. I genuinely didn't know what to do with myself afterwards. I loved the film and was completely engrossed, but just so, so drained afterwards.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I couldn't watch Lincoln a second time; great movie but I did find it a hard work.

I've never watched The Usual Suspects again since I first saw it. Fantastic film, great twist - but once you know the twist I see no point in a re-watch.

I think films like The Usual Suspects are great for multiple viewings. You pick up on things second and third time around that you won't have when you first watched it. You can really appreciate the subtleties then.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Films Like Blair Witch, Grave Encounters can only be watched once, I watched grave Encounters with my mate the other week and they never saw it and it did not have the same effect on me.

But that's because they are terrible films, surely?

BW - The most tediously boring film I've ever seen.

GE - Anything written and directed by anyone calling themselves The Vicious Brothers should be and should have been, dismissed out of hand by the studio at the start.
    "Who are you?"
    "We're The Vicious Brothers."
    [sound of door slamming]
    muggins14 wrote: »

Agree on Lincoln. I like historical stuff but it was more of a chore than informative entertainment.

Usual Suspects is one I could watch again and again. Probably seen it 10 times so far, even though I know what's coming. Excellent film.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the flipside a movie like Memento pretty much demands more than one viewing. Would agree with Schlinders List though, seen it once, great film, couldn't watch it again much like Passion of the Christ.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think films like The Usual Suspects are great for multiple viewings. You pick up on things second and third time around that you won't have when you first watched it. You can really appreciate the subtleties then.

I was like this with Hot Fuzz. There is so much in there that gets missed on the first viewing.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for spoiling it.

Neither have I, so I just didn't read his post once he got to plot details, pretty straightforward really.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually agree with you, and have watched The Sixth Sense and many other films with a twist many times; for some reason I can't sit through The Usual Suspects again, fantastic though it is. It's probably me, not the film :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I'm a film buff, but I also dislike a lot of films, so there's many films I only plan to watch once, just to see it. It helps that I'm a member of lovefilm, so I only ever buy films if I really liked the film well enough to watch it again. And there's loads of films I'm glad to only watch once.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 15 minutes of Apocalypto once. Never again!
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Pulp Fiction at the cinema, loved it, would recommend it as a 'must watch' but have never ever wanted to sit through it again.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I watched 15 minutes of Apocalypto once. Never again!

Stunning film, you missed out
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched GARAGE only the once. Irish Movie with Pat Shortt.. won all kinds of awards and deservedly so... but Dear God.. it was so depressing especially the end.. I could never put it on again !