Quentin Tarantino:2015 films are to safe and boring.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quentin Tarantino says Kill Bill was the last kick ass movie and the one I made.He hates the why Hollywood has became hand and hand with media,and putting out bullshit like Magic Mike and Looking to Fox News for good reviews.At Comic Con he says modren films have became to safe and boring bland scripts that have been,done and over again.Plus films don't focus on reality like what happening in American right now,too afraid to push the envelope,in case it offend people and the critics.Plus I hate digital I like when movies were classic 9mm made they will never be disposable.

Does anyone agree with him.

Comments

• Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A link to the story/report/video etc might be useful.

I found this one-

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/11/comic-con-2015-quentin-tarantino-schools-comic-con

Plenty of info on Hateful Eight and the 70mm film process etc, but cannot see any comments re state of Hollywood, Magic Mike etc.

He's saying pretty much what most people would say about Hollywood these days, regarding the churning out of mindless blockbuster fodder.

But yet interesting, original films still manage to get released, like Whiplash, Birdman, Nightcrawler etc, to name but 3 in the last year alone. I don't think its as bad as you make out.

And I really don't get the notion of returning to 70mm film presentation...why? Digital/IMAX/4K etc film presentation is excellent, both on the big screen and small. And it has enabled many older films to be preserved and restored to their former glory in a digital format. Film deteriorates and will eventually rot after so many years, so why would you champion a return to that format?

Secondly. how many cinemas does he think even have the capability to show film reels these days...and 70mm at that? The vast majority converted to digital years ago. So who is going to show these 70mm presentations?

If you want to have a select number of screens built for this purpose to showcase this type of presentation, fine. But if you want to release a new film and have it seen by as many people as possible, then it needs to be exhibited digitally.

I'm pretty sure in reality Tarantino will probably just strike a small number of 70mm prints for roadshow exhibitions to make a point, but the film will be available for normal screenings everywhere also, ie digitally.

Frankly, the financial and technical logistics in insisting that exhibitors around the world return to old-fashioned film reels are just not remotely feasible.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's right tho - 70mm is just fantastic , what we're watching now is just video .
  • giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Does he know what Mad Max: Fury Road is?
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    70 mm is nice - as digital can't match it - yet; however, very few cinemas can show it nowadays.

I suppose that he's right that Hollywood doesn't do the interesting films, but the Indie companies are the ones who do them nowadays.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need the next big Tarantino flick to save.us
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the man who directed inglorious bastards and jackie brown is talking about films being boring:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the man who directed inglorious bastards and jackie brown is talking about films being boring:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I love those movies!
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry ted, me and you do tend to disagree from time to time:)

I really loved Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs and True Romance(yes I know he only scripted but it's him through and through)

but was not keen on either of them JB and IG

have not yet seen Death Proof, or Django Unchained

though everyone keeps telling me to see Django
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarantino's 'film rules, digital suks!' rants have become more tedious as the years have gone on. No doubt that 70mm is a fantastic format, the best there is even. But digital cinematography has come a long way. Some of the best shot films of recent years were digital (Drive, Prometheus, Skyfall, Gone Girl). If he wants to throw his toys out of his pram and move to television, I'd be glad (though if you loved film this much, why would you move to the world of TV...). His films have become predictable themselves so he can talk.

One could try and be a bit more diplomatic about the whole film v digital debate like Scorsese has been, Spielberg and even Nolan (and equally staunch supporter of celluloid).
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still great, well thought out films that take risks out there. You just need to look beyond the populist stuff and beyond Hollywood, and even America.

Popular films have always been like this, the majority of it is "safe", cookie cutter stuff that will appeal to the widest audience possible, for maximum returns, with the occasional exception coming out every now and then.

If Hollywood tried to churn out unique, higher risk, complicated films all the time then the chances are that most people wouldn't entertain them, let alone buy them.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then he should make Kill Bill Vol. 3, darn it! :p
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comparison with TV is interesting. Where are the film equivalents of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or even something like Banshee which is pure pulp fiction for the small screen? TV shows nowadays ask their audience to commit to them in ways that films rarely do.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    So - QT is "the saviour of modern cinema"? :D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Blimey. Drumming up PR for The Hateful Eight nice and early, eh, Quentin?
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The comparison with TV is interesting. Where are the film equivalents of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or even something like Banshee which is pure pulp fiction for the small screen? TV shows nowadays ask their audience to commit to them in ways that films rarely do.
    The comparison to TV is also rife with discrepencies. The likes of Breaking Bad* etc have to hook you in for a season's worth of episodes, so it's a slightly different kettle of fish. A film - even one heavily franchise connected - has to do its thing in two hours. You're right to highlight audience commitment as the issue - especially these days - but they're two very different sorts.

*And here we have television that doesn't live up to the hype.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tarantino's 'film rules, digital suks!' rants have become more tedious as the years have gone on. No doubt that 70mm is a fantastic format, the best there is even. But digital cinematography has come a long way. Some of the best shot films of recent years were digital (Drive, Prometheus, Skyfall, Gone Girl). If he wants to throw his toys out of his pram and move to television, I'd be glad (though if you loved film this much, why would you move to the world of TV...). His films have become predictable themselves so he can talk.

One could try and be a bit more diplomatic about the whole film v digital debate like Scorsese has been, Spielberg and even Nolan (and equally staunch supporter of celluloid).

PMSL you don't like Quentin do you? :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered if Quentin is a cool name in America , 'cos I can't help thinking that if he'd grown up here in the 70s his life may have been rather different !
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    PMSL you don't like Quentin do you? :D

I think he's a talented film-maker but he has more often than not come off as really obnoxious in interviews. He seems to think the entire industry is against him. Film is having a tough time of course but digital cinematography has come into its own in the last few years. So saying things like 'digital is the death of cinema' is kind of silly when so many of the best looking movies of recent years were digital.

But with regards to his own filmography, I think he's made some really good movies. But there's only so many bloody Tarantino shootouts I can sit through now. I can already see how The Hateful Eight will pan out :D