Vin Diesel to play Kojak

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.. Seriously ..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec/18/vin-diesel-kojak-remake
He may not be Greek, but he is bald: that's presumably the logic behind Universal Picture's decision to reboot Kojak for the big screen with Vin Diesel in the title role. Diesel, the dulcet-toned slaphead who takes the lead in the Fast and Furious series, is currently one of the studio's top commodities, so building a new vehicle for him before the tyres on the Fast franchise get as bald as their star looks a smart manoeuvre.

The phrase "Oh dear god" immediately sprang to mind ..

Comments

• MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    So we will have a possible new franchise - "Kojak - Furious and Fast for Revenge"

I guess we could have ended up with Bruce Willis

or

Patrick Stewart.

Actually I like the idea of Patrick Stewart, switching the lolly pop for Earl Grey Hot
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    So we will have a possible new franchise - "Kojak - Furious and Fast for Revenge"

Or "Kojak - Furious and Fast for Revenge in the Pitch Black"
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not convinced...all the news reports date from December of last year, and as of yet no sign of Diesel being signed nor indeed of the movie even announced as going into production.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't work with Ving Rhames & it certainly won't work with Vin Diesel.

TBH, I can't imagine anybody around today pulling off the Kojak role.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is remade, it will have to be done as a new version set in the present day. Which will immidiately hak off alot of fans of the original.

But you certainly cannot have a bald guy walking around sucking lollipops saying 'Who loves ya baby?'. It may have worked in the 70's but it would look laughable now.

But Kojak did often have some very good storylines, despite the gimmicky premise (The pilot show The Marcus Nelson Murders is an excellent feature length episode, based on a true story).

And if it's done right, the Kojak character, an actor with the right presence and ability, a good script, good dialogue...it could work.

But then again...the idea of a non-nonsense, tough talking detective is not exactly new and has been done many times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Paul Walker doing Hitman too, noooooo I love these guys but just stick to what you're good at haha.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Paul Walker doing Hitman too, noooooo I love these guys but just stick to what you're good at haha.

I'd heard that was being remade but Paul Walker ?

I know the original wasn't that great, but Timothy Olyphant was a good choice for the title role.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't work with Ving Rhames & it certainly won't work with Vin Diesel.

TBH, I can't imagine anybody around today pulling off the Kojak role.

Only Telly Savals and he is not here,the wit in the show was as good as the plots and dry one liners only savalas could do.

"coochy coo" "who loves ya baby":D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ Agreed.

Don't recall much in the way of squealing tyres and squad cars rolling over in the finely scripted original.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you were going just off looks then there is a Greek/Italian American chef called Michael Symon who has the look and a maniacal laugh.

I wonder if he has considered acting :p

http://cf2.foodista.com/sites/default/files/styles/featured/public/field/image/michael%20symon_1.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=michael+symon&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-F4vUbGUDoTK0AWBlYGYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CIoBEIke&biw=1133&bih=682
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually - I can see that.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. Seriously ..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec/18/vin-diesel-kojak-remake

The phrase "Oh dear god" immediately sprang to mind ..

I don't actually mind the Fast and Furious franchise but like you on reading your thread title my first thought was 'Oh My'.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am waiting for the Frank Cannon remake - see who gets that gig.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about Michael Chiklis as Kojak??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chiklis
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am waiting for the Frank Cannon remake - see who gets that gig.

Johnny Vegas with the monkey as the sidekick.:D
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Kojak did often have some very good storylines, despite the gimmicky premise (The pilot show The Marcus Nelson Murders is an excellent feature length episode, based on a true story).

And if it's done right, the Kojak character, an actor with the right presence and ability, a good script, good dialogue...it could work.
    The Marcus Nelson Murders is a terrific TV movie, pretty brutal for the time, too...

I actually wouldn't mind seeing VD (unfortunate initials!) as Kojak, though he'd have to find a sense of humour from somewhere first... and I don't think it was a gimmicky show as such, it was a fairly standard procedural that revolved entirely around the charisma of the lead actor and a few cute personality quirks, so if you get the right lead actor, it could definitely work...

PS Amazed to see "Crocker" in TV's House Of Lies a few weeks ago - took me ages to recognise him!