Apollo 18

2»

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    I was going to go and watch it this week but I'm glad I came here and saw your comments first. You have saved me £6 :)

...but I'm going to see it tonight and make my own mind up (I'll report back tomorrow).
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    l did get to see this film last night and l was pleasantly surprised after all the bad reviews. Whilst it'll never win an Oscar, it's certainly not a stonking turkey either. l've made a few comments below but as they indicate what some of the plot is about, l've put them behind a spoiler.
    You do have to suspend disbelief, e.g. about ive creatures on the surface of the Moon, but the lunar scenes were done OK and they got the bit right about the Soviet lunar lander only having space for one cosmonaut. The plot device about the Soviets might have been influenced by the novel Ascent by Jed Mercurio: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/mar/10/featuresreviews.guardianreview6

Overall, the film was original, had a tense atmosphere and was passable entertainment. It was certainly better than the prime lemon that was the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still but not up there with the 2009 film Moon.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    l did get to see this film last night and l was pleasantly surprised after all the bad reviews. Whilst it'll never win an Oscar, it's certainly not a stonking turkey either. l've made a few comments below but as they indicate what some of the plot is about, l've put them behind a spoiler.
    You do have to suspend disbelief, e.g. about ive creatures on the surface of the Moon, but the lunar scenes were done OK and they got the bit right about the Soviet lunar lander only having space for one cosmonaut. The plot device about the Soviets might have been influenced by the novel Ascent by Jed Mercurio: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/mar/10/featuresreviews.guardianreview6

Overall, the film was original, had a tense atmosphere and was passable entertainment. It was certainly better than the prime lemon that was the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still but not up there with the 2009 film Moon.

You're in the same camp as me.

I've said pretty much the same thing; it isn't a classic & I'll never watch it again, but I don't think it was quite as bad as so many have said it was.

I've seen much worse films than this; many of which have had far greater budgets & hype than this.
  • Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere near as bas as what some are saying....not great but enjoyable.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting movie.

Just got it on blu ray.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picked this up for peanuts on DVD. Thought it was brilliant - Easily the best of the “found footage” movies I’ve seen with Cloverfield having the edge only in terms of production values. I daresay it helps if you’re a fan of The Outer Limits (original), Ray Bradbury etc. I’m genuinely shocked at all the hostility for this from others.