Forums on your mobile: a call for testers!

Comments

• Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am using it full time now, but the McDonalds full page ad has been shown to me 5 times in the last 10 minutes, a bit OTT, and I've already had breakfast anyway!!
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The desktop view really isn't designed to be used on a mobile device. If you do wish to use it rather than a mobile skin I'd recommend logging in via the mobile skin first, then switching to the desktop view again.

Is it just the page change arrows which aren't working on the Kindle? Although we hadn't intended for tablet users to use the skin, that should be an easy fix.

the kindle fire may be an android tablet but the ereader only only versions are not ! amazon themseves call the web browser on these "experimental", ie somewhat non standard and not 100% consistent or reliable. i certainly wouldnt expect a kindle keyboard to be considered a "target device" for DS. but leaving the older styleid=51 available will allow these particular devices to be used with no problems so please .......

........ testing the new mobile skin is very difficult since javascript causes the k.k browser to hang for long periods and sometimes crash ...... this particular problem with javascript seems to be only on DS and i assume is something to do with passing through all those revenue generating adservers but i could easily be wrong .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... rambling on and on mode ...... anyone with a kindle keyboard or even earlier k2 should generally be ok. the big problem is login which doesnt work on desktop site since the changes a few weeks back. the login window doesnt display properly. but styleid 51 works just fine for login and then one can change to desktop if preferred. im not on facebook so havent tried that login method.

i assume this login problem also applies later version kindle ereaders (not including fire tablets) which have the same browser although it connects to web via wi fi only, due to amazon's 3G usage restrictions on these devices.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just testing on my N8, I really dislike such large text, prefer the desktop version, but I always do for most sites when using my phone.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It crashed my phone when clicking change to desktop, so will stick with the desktop version, as like seeing everything on one screen in smaller letters. There wasn't much difference in speed for me
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    The new version of the mobile web even looks great on the Nintendo 3DSxl web browser I'm using. I really like it, a great improvement. =)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (endless rambling cont. )...... im on the 2012 skin now on my desktop with javascript off and the control (thread navigation) buttons working fine! puzzlin !
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it :) works well on my iphone
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why oh why is there still no search function. Its such a basic but necessary tool, can I ask why it hasnt been included please ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    (endless rambling cont. )...... im on the 2012 skin now on my desktop with javascript off and the control (thread navigation) buttons working fine! puzzlin !

We actually use very little javascript on this skin compared to the regular desktop version, and even with it the load times are still quicker than the previous mobile skin.

We did however make the page arrows directly clickable, as you've since discovered, which should help a bit. I would recommend leaving Javascript turned off while browsing though if it causes issues with the inbuilt browser.
    pete137 wrote: »
    Why oh why is there still no search function. Its such a basic but necessary tool, can I ask why it hasnt been included please ?

Oh, that's a new one! I can't recall anyone mentioning that before. The mobile skin has been developed to strip as much away as possible, maintaining reasonable forum functions, so people can use it on the move. Would you often be searching on a mobile?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I don't like it, but then I hate the current one and only use desktop on my phone. I won't be using it, I started off with desktop, didn't even know there was an alternative for ages and I'm used to it now.

Users should be aware that clicking on the highlight in the opening post, leaves you on the new site and you then have to log-in to desktop again. Annoying!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a lot better than trying to access the forum on my phone before, which wouldn't let me log in.

It's a bit of a pain that you can't go straight to the last new post of a thread though.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks good.

Few things:

- Text in reply box on iPhone very small

- No arrows to jump to first new post

- No bold titles for updated threads

- No route to main DS site

Two less essential:

- No indication of Thread Starter in forum view

- A retina display ready logo for iPhone would be awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the look and it's easier to navigate, especially moving to the next page. Easier on the eye and I like being able to see the post times and dates.

Would it be possible to have the page choice at the top too? I might end up with RSI in my thumb scrolling to the bottom to get to the page of the thread I want. 😃

Would also be good to go to the most recent part of the thread.

Also agree on a search option if possible.

I'm using an iPhone 4.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, that's a new one! I can't recall anyone mentioning that before. The mobile skin has been developed to strip as much away as possible, maintaining reasonable forum functions, so people can use it on the move. Would you often be searching on a mobile?

Thankyou for your reply. Yes I only access the forums these days through my Iphone, I hardly ever feel the need to use my laptop, so a search function would be a massive help to me, and Im sure many others. For example in the Movies or TV forum - you watch a film / program and want to talk about it. As it stands, a mobile user cant realy add to an older thread as they wouldnt be able to find it (unless its on the first few pages). It limits my use of the forums as I cant search for topics I want to contribute to.
  • KollKoll Posts: 3,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the that the forum list is bigger and easier to navigate. A bit disappointing that threads just look the same as the desktop version once you click a specific forum though.

I also don't like the lack of a search function. For me it's an almost vital part of a forum. Part of the reason I like TapaTalk so much is not only are forums well displayed and easy to navigate but it also has a search function that works just as well as if you were on a computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... just to say, having logged in ....... you can always get main site with:

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/?styleid=49

of course, on a typical mobile phone the desktop layout might be unreadable .......
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    We're currently in the process of developing a new mobile friendly version of the Digital Spy forums, building on feedback from our previous effort.

You can access the mobile skin by selecting 'Mobile Forums 2012' from the drop down menu on the purple bar towards the bottom of the page or by clicking here.

As we're getting close to a general release, we'd like to invite your feedback on the skin. Feel free to post this below.
    I'm using my Blackberry now and the mobile version is ok.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same bug with the old mobile skin, pasting a URL into a post will result in said URL being posted as plain text, not as a clickable link as happens on the desktop skin.

Still no sign of the jump to last unread post arrow, sadly. :(
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ill keep to the desktop site although much better than before
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Nokia X6 - not the biggest screen in the world but looks good and is easy to use.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annnd... An option to take you to the last post read in a thread, like before.

This :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Koll wrote: »
    I like the that the forum list is bigger and easier to navigate. A bit disappointing that threads just look the same as the desktop version once you click a specific forum though.

I also don't like the lack of a search function. For me it's an almost vital part of a forum. Part of the reason I like TapaTalk so much is not only are forums well displayed and easy to navigate but it also has a search function that works just as well as if you were on a computer.

Can you expand on the bolded part? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

We'll also discuss a search feature for a future revision.
    Same bug with the old mobile skin, pasting a URL into a post will result in said URL being posted as plain text, not as a clickable link as happens on the desktop skin.

Still no sign of the jump to last unread post arrow, sadly. :(

The URL thing is actually because of the simplified text box. The desktop version has an editor which detects what content you're entering whereas the mobile does not (to save on loading times, complexity on a small screen).

Try wrapping your link in[noparse] and [/noparse] after pasting :).
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggy88 wrote: »
    Really like it although would be good to have unread threads to be bold and a button to go to last page.

This is a must, and.also would be good to have page numbers at the start of.the thread, near the top as currently have to go to page one and then scroll down... It's too faffy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We actually use very little javascript on this skin compared to the regular desktop version, and even with it the load times are still quicker than the previous mobile skin.

We did however make the page arrows directly clickable, as you've since discovered, which should help a bit. I would recommend leaving Javascript turned off while browsing though if it causes issues with the inbuilt browser.

no criticism implied. im just giving kindle facts as far as known. hopefully some use. you Da WebMan who gotta make skins compatible with as many devices as possible ........

..... k3 is kinda a mobile phone with (monochrome) screen more like tablet sized. runs linux but entirely hidden from user. special "experimental"browser. weird combo. the kindle fire tablets run Android and presumably have a more standard browser ........

...... on the kindle ebook readers DS works best with styleid 51. the new skin is "usable" but harder to use. I accept the layout and functions are great for mobie phone size screen and buttons. kindle3 has larger display and also works fine on desktop site - after login - but with javascript OFF ! with it on the browser tends to hang long intervals, presumably because parsing much more stuff ......

if only the new skin were available then kindle bookreaders browser access would still be possible but much more difficult ....... but i would think only a small number of peopl access DS on these ...
This discussion has been closed.