Stuart Hall admits 14 sexual assaults...

Comments

• finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the inevitable compensation claims start rolling in. Lol.
  • jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Not sure how money will make things better?

Always a bit wary of people suing for things like this. I don't mean after being raped or the cases of very young victims, but I guess what is defined as being the minor end of sexual assault such as having your boobs groped.

I'm not being uncaring at all. I had a driving instructor when I was just 17 who was really creepy. At the reversing bays (quite secluded, no one around), he put his hand up my skirt, and put his arm round me and got far too close to my chest when attempting to explain something.

It was scary at the time, as I was stuck in a car with him on my own. As soon as I was dropped off home, I immediately reported him (nothing got done) and changed instructor. It freaked me out as I was quite shy at that time, and he was in his 40's. I took ages to learn to drive after that as I was always seeing him in his car and it used to put me off, as he'd deliberately stare at me.

But would I sue years later? Nah, he was a dirty old man and totally out of order, but money isn't going to change anything, especially as it happened 25 years ago.

nowt to do with money, but do you think you were the only one he did this to? if you reported it , you might have stopped this happening to someone else. it was sexual assault; no more no less.
  • Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Here's one for fans of 'It's A Knockout':

When the judge sentences Stuart Hall do you think he'll use his Joker?
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like he's handed over the family home to his wife in order to stop claimants going after it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319212/BBC-predator-Stuart-Halls-2million-home-handed-wife-protect-fortune.html

Ain't gonna work, sunshine. Did your solicitors not tell you what a fraudulent conveyance was, Stuart?
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    Quite, it really is disgusting.

Celebrities are still treated too differently from everyone else in terms of the law. Whoever you are, celeb, royal, politician, or pauper, the justice system needs to be the same or what's the point?

Don't be so sure he will even go to prison. He pleaded guilty. Might just be a suspended sentence.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    If he had been 40 I can understand him being playing the percentages and pleading for a reduced sentence but this is a 83 year old with a heart condition and I don't see him surviving even a reduced sentence. If he was truly devoid of conscience then he would have taken his chances at trial because even a 1% chance of success is better than nothing.

Sometimes people plead guilty on some charges so not all things come to light.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    jonm01 wrote: »
    Don't be so sure he will even go to prison. He pleaded guilty. Might just be a suspended sentence.

Isn't it a rule that if you plead guilty you automatically get a reduced sentence?
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules4stu wrote: »
    nowt to do with money, but do you think you were the only one he did this to? if you reported it , you might have stopped this happening to someone else. it was sexual assault; no more no less.

Read my post again - I said I did.

Nothing got done. I even met up with another person he did it to, and she got ignored as well.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Isn't it a rule that if you plead guilty you automatically get a reduced sentence?

I'm not sure it's automatic, but it is what usually happens.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Looks like he's handed over the family home to his wife in order to stop claimants going after it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319212/BBC-predator-Stuart-Halls-2million-home-handed-wife-protect-fortune.html

Ain't gonna work, sunshine. Did your solicitors not tell you what a fraudulent conveyance was, Stuart?

What a thoroughly disgusting scallywag. Zero signs of remorse, simply a case of self-pity that he's been caught, and ensuring his life of luxury. Words fail me.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonm01 wrote: »

What sort of sentence would these offences normally bring?

If this was a 40 year old nobody from Oswestry?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,814
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »

By coincidence in 2009....
    The former chief executive of Owen Oyston's publishing companies has been awarded almost a quarter of a million pounds by an employment tribunal after winning his case for unfair dismissal.

However, Peter Bourhill, the former 49-year-old chief executive of Ridings Publishing, publishers of the glossy Lancashire magazine and Yorkshire Ridings, may not receive any of the money as the company was wound up just days before the tribunal hearing.

Oh look...
    Bourhill said that when he was asked late last year to take a large cut in salary, much more than other directors at the company,including (well known actor)* and TV personality Stuart Hall, he refused.

*Best not to say who.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,814
    Forum Member
    What sort of sentence would these offences normally bring?

If this was a 40 year old nobody from Oswestry?

Not sure of the details of what he's pleaded guilty to but here's a starting point from the CPS guidelines...
    Type/nature of activity: Contact between part of offender's body (other than the genitalia) with part of the victim's body (other than the genitalia)

Starting points: 26 weeks custody if the victim is under 13
    Sentencing ranges: 4 weeks - 18 months custody

Starting points: Community order if the victim is aged 13 or over
    Sentencing ranges: An appropriate non-custodial sentence
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if his wife DID accept, couldn't she be done under POCA as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    And if his wife DID accept, couldn't she be done under POCA as well?

Doubt one could could really say that the house represents POC. That said, it would still be a fraudulent conveyance in civil proceedings if a transfer of property was made to protect assets subsequent to becoming aware of potential civil liability. That's pretty basic stuff, so surely his solicitors would have advised him accordingly?
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daily mail implied that the transfer of property was water tight so victims get zero.
    His family inc wife are standing near him.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could get 10 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daily mail implied that the transfer of property was water tight so victims get zero.

They're wrong. It does mean that the process of obtaining damages is more long-winded, however.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not defending his actions in any way but his family are not responsible for his crimes. I don't see why they should suffer because of something he, and he alone, did.

He's had a long and very successful career so presumably has assets other than the family home which can be taken into account should he be sued by the victims.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why after 40+ years are people suddenly calling themselves victims. What are the real victims of today going to do when they realise their cases have even less chance of being heard quickly than they might have before the SHOP-A-CELEB culture.

Now slapping a woman's bum makes you a sex offender. First you had rape, then statuatory rape which should not even be used in the same category. If mental and visual rape ever become law, most of us are done for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This comment is not aimed at rape or child victims.

The way things are going, they may as well just arrest the whole of the 1970's and 60's.

It's what went on then, as un-PC as it may have been, there was more real life 'carry on' style things went on than not
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think his son needs to shut up and sit down. It's all fine and well to show loyalty but to do it so publicly 2 days after his father has admitted 14 counts of sexual abuse is showing him to be as arrogant and as callously careless of people's feelings as his father.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could get 10 years.

I don't think he will be jailed for that long..
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Why after 40+ years are people suddenly calling themselves victims. What are the real victims of today going to do when they realise their cases have even less chance of being heard quickly than they might have before the SHOP-A-CELEB culture.

Now slapping a woman's bum makes you a sex offender. First you had rape, then statuatory rape which should not even be used in the same category. If mental and visual rape ever become law, most of us are done for.

If slapping a woman's bum is classed as sexual assault then I have to go to the police and report quite a few men then....
    I believe someone kissing you is classed as sexual assault .. I'm honestly confused at what should be classed as a sexual assault....