WIndows 7 not reconnecting NAS Drive at Startup

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tried a few solutions but no luck.

Tried this one ..
start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok. Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

which actually worked the first time i rebooted, but hasn't worked since. if anyone has any clues i'd be grateful :)

It's a 2TB Seagate GoFlex drive, for the record. If i click on it when the PC is booted, it connects just fine.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using the Seagate Dashboard software with your NAS or mapping the drives manually in Windows?

I've got a Go Flex drive and occasionally the Dashboard software throws a wobbly and doesn't do it's stuff properly at boot time. Though usually if I open Dashboard and click on the connect button it goes off and finds the drive and all the drive mappings in Computer start working again.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mapping the drive manually. Tried the dashboard software but it just seemed like far too much bloat for what I actually wanted to use the drive for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen this Microsoft fix put forward as a solution to the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

Not tried it myself as I don't get a failure to connect more than 1 time in 100 boots so not really much hassle for me (maybe because I do use Dashboard? :) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try that when I get home, thanks. I don't use accounts on this machine though as it's just me so I use the admin account as standard. but I'll give it a go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need multiple accounts to have UAC enabled. There is only me on my laptop but UAC is running on it. If you've ever got that pop-up message telling you some program or other wants to do unspeakable things to your hard drive and asks for permission to continue then UAC is probably running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then my UAC is definitely off then
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I've come across this before and it seems to be the case that the networking components hadn't fully activated by the time the drive mapping is being attempted. You would end up with the red crosses on the existing mappings and a bubble saying not all drives could be connected. It was tricky to recreate the problem as it didn't seem to be consistent but I ended up using the bellow as a workaround which seems to have sorted the user in my case.
    timeout /t 5
    net use /delete z: /y
    net use /delete x: /y
    net use z: \\server\share
    net use x: \\server\share2

The first line counts down based on seconds prior to continuing the rest. 5 is probably overkill to be honest unless its a slow machine but whatever. The delete lines suppress any errors about the drive already existing.

This was in a workgroup environment where the drives were being added by a batch file in the all users startup folder.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with NAS drives not being connected when I run SyncToy to create a backup.

Solved it by using a batch file to start Synctoy but first run Explorer to kick Win7 into recognising the NAS drive (x)

Batch file is ....

rem Open explorer, minimised, and reconnect the network drive x:

start /min explorer x:\

rem Change to SyncToy directory and run SyncToy

cd c:\program files\synctoy 2.1

start synctoy.exe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice, thanks. I'll have a go with both methods to see which one works the best :)
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    My W8 machine invariably reports that it is unable to connect to my NAS on startup. The reason appears to be that my NAS is rather lazy and is always asleep. However, if I manually click on one of the NAS shares this is enough to wake it up. I have also found that the NAS often wakes automatically within a few minutes of booting into Windows.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    My W8 machine invariably reports that it is unable to connect to my NAS on startup. The reason appears to be that my NAS is rather lazy and is always asleep. However, if I manually click on one of the NAS shares this is enough to wake it up. I have also found that the NAS often wakes automatically within a few minutes of booting into Windows.

To fix that, you can schedule a login task to run a batch file just writing to z:\tmp.txt or what ever you have.