BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I like Guinness, he does come across as right snob in such interviews.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    Beyond a reasonable doubt
    Sealed Cargo
    I've seen the first one, can't remember it exactly but it would have come to me while watching it.
    I don't think I've seen Sealed Cargo.

Hey ho Alec Guinness is on, IIRC he was once spotted in the West End in the 40's by another actor hiding in a shop doorway, a fan wanted to press his flesh and it scared him witless.

Edit: Tony Bilbo that's a name I haven't thought of for years.

Thanks for that :) I've seen Beyond a Reasonable Doubt as well, but would've watched it again if I'd known it was going to be on. 7.10am is a little out of the way on the schedule! I could've set the Sky box though. Sealed Cargo is one I haven't seen.

Recorded the Alec Guinness TP as I've been out so I'll watch it at my leisure. I must admit I haven't seen that many of his films really, but I'm keen to give them a go.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that :) I've seen Beyond a Reasonable Doubt as well, but would've watched it again if I'd known it was going to be on. 7.10am is a little out of the way on the schedule! I could've set the Sky box though. Sealed Cargo is one I haven't seen.

Recorded the Alec Guinness TP as I've been out so I'll watch it at my leisure. I must admit I haven't seen that many of his films really, but I'm keen to give them a go.

Guinness's later work in TV, Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy and Smiley's People, was among his best, excellent productions.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Good interview with Guinness by Parkinson

I'll second that, shame they were against the clock, I could have listened to more.
    His working methods seemed interesting, the Polio story was particularly affecting.
    Seems like Parkie primed him before the interview, backstage, appears to have worked well there.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Guinness's later work in TV, Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy and Smiley's People, was among his best, excellent productions.

I think I should try and buy TTSS on dvd as I've heard how good it is. I was only about three or four years old when it was on tv and I don't know if it's been repeated much, BBC4 may have shown it again a little while back iirc but I didn't see it. Is Smiley's People up to the same standard?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Smiley's People up to the same standard?

It's not quite the classic TTSS is and it does have Beryl Reid in it which is something of a hurdle for older viewers to overcome but the two work well as a pair.

If you like it I would highly recommend Radio 4's Simon Russell Beale Smiley adaptations which are available in a handsome boxset.
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It's not quite the classic TTSS is and it does have Beryl Reid in it which is something of a hurdle for older viewers to overcome but the two work well as a pair.

If you like it I would highly recommend Radio 4's Simon Russell Beale Smiley adaptations which are available in a handsome boxset.

Thanks for the info :)

By the way, what did you mean about Beryl Reid? I've only seen her in a couple of films: Killing of Sister George, The Beast in the Cellar and she was Adrian Mole's gran :D Was she that bad an actress?
    Forum Member
    Bumpity Bump it's back again at 13:50 today.
    Seems to have been extended, yet again 6, 12, now 18 episodes, and taken off the Iplayer far too quickly, considering the program is hidden away.
    BBC, f's their own product yet again.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvq9k/episodes/guide
    Followed by Duel in the Sun, which going on previous form isn't going to be his best work/vehicle.
    Forum Member
    Bumpity Bump it's back again at 13:50 today.
    Seems to have been extended, yet again 6, 12, now 18 episodes, and taken off the Iplayer far too quickly, considering the program is hidden away.
    BBC, f's their own product yet again.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pvq9k/episodes/guide
    Followed by Duel in the Sun, which going on previous form isn't going to be his best work/vehicle.

Glad I noticed this was on when I was looking through the listings yesterday! Gregory was a lovely man, modest with a lovely sense of humour.

Once again we're playing a guessing game as to when the next episode will be on. It's not on the listings for next Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gregory Peck - One of those actors like Richard Widmark, Jimmy Stewart and Robert Shaw (amongst selected others) who are compelling whatever the quality of the material they happen to be in.
    Forum Member
    Rather late bump, just spotted it, remembered it's Saturday and BBC2 might have something worth watching, James Mason today at 12:45.

Sometimes I wonder why they're bothering at all, not trailed, goes missing, series expands and contracts almost weekly.
    linky
    Followed by Hotel Reserve
    An atmospheric thriller based in the south of France prior to the outbreak of World War II. While on holiday at the Hotel Reserve, an Austrian medical student is wrongly charged with espionage by the French police. Threatened with deportation, he is forced to embark on a search for the real spy among the hotel guests. Based on a novel by Eric Ambler.

Don't know if it's any good though.
    Watched him the other day in The Reckless Moment 1949, which wasn't 'bad' wasn't 'good' either.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He seems a very bitter man.
    Forum Member
    Back again at 15:35 with Charlton Heston, preceded by El Cid.

Ah the BBC, they keep hiding it and moving it around, it's a game of cat n mouse.
    As I said in an earlier post, I wonder why they're bothering, they don't trail it, don't make the most of it as a series and it's removed from the Iplayer quicksmart.
    Forum Member
    Back again at 15:35 with Charlton Heston, preceded by El Cid.

Ah the BBC, they keep hiding it and moving it around, it's a game of cat n mouse.
    As I said in an earlier post, I wonder why they're bothering, they don't trail it, don't make the most of it as a series and it's removed from the Iplayer quicksmart.

Ah it was down as the David Niven one on the sky planner a few days back. I'll have to check that. I could listen to Niven tell his stories all day :)
    Forum Member
    Rather late bump, just spotted it, remembered it's Saturday and BBC2 might have something worth watching, James Mason today at 12:45.

Sometimes I wonder why they're bothering at all, not trailed, goes missing, series expands and contracts almost weekly.
    linky
    Followed by Hotel Reserve
    An atmospheric thriller based in the south of France prior to the outbreak of World War II. While on holiday at the Hotel Reserve, an Austrian medical student is wrongly charged with espionage by the French police. Threatened with deportation, he is forced to embark on a search for the real spy among the hotel guests. Based on a novel by Eric Ambler.

Don't know if it's any good though.
    Watched him the other day in The Reckless Moment 1949, which wasn't 'bad' wasn't 'good' either.

I downloaded the Mason one on my phone to watch another time but I've lost my download! I had at least three weeks left to watch it so it shouldn't have disappeared. You're meant to have 30 days to watch downloads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah it was down as the David Niven one on the sky planner a few days back. I'll have to check that. I could listen to Niven tell his stories all day :)

David Nivens Talking Pictures is on tomorrow at 3.25pm.
    Forum Member
    David Nivens Talking Pictures is on tomorrow at 3.25pm.

Hello :) Funny you say that, I just checked a few mins ago and noticed that! They're repeating them all week. John Wayne is weds, James Stewart thurs, John Mills is fri and Bette Davis next Monday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello :) Funny you say that, I just checked a few mins ago and noticed that! They're repeating them all week. John Wayne is weds, James Stewart thurs, John Mills is fri and Bette Davis next Monday.

Hi. :) I missed Bette Davis last time. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing hers. Jimmy Stewarts is very moving.
    Forum Member

What the bloody hell is going on at the BBC.
    Cheers for the heads up, I'll get my downloading program to sort these out for me.
    Haven't watched Heston yet.
    Forum Member
    Hi. :) I missed Bette Davis last time. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing hers. Jimmy Stewarts is very moving.

The Bette Davis one is good. I saw the James Stewart one, it was moving. I did have a tear in my eye, I must admit.
    Forum Member
    What the bloody hell is going on at the BBC.
    Cheers for the heads up, I'll get my downloading program to sort these out for me.
    Haven't watched Heston yet.

They're all over the place! I'm sure there's still one yet to be aired but who knows anymore?! I'll have to iplayer the Heston one, I've not seen it before, also John Wayne. I don't suppose I'll get to see the James Mason one though.
    Forum Member
    They're all over the place! I'm sure there's still one yet to be aired but who knows anymore?! I'll have to iplayer the Heston one, I've not seen it before, also John Wayne. I don't suppose I'll get to see the James Mason one though.

3 more, it's 18 episodes now.
    Just opened the episode page and realised I've been trying to keep track of this unruly beast since January 5th with Bette Davis.
    It was in 6 parts back then.
    Bette's odd 'cockney sparra' accent from the film following her program has stayed with me though, thoroughly unpleasant character she played too.
    Forum Member
    3 more, it's 18 episodes now.
    Just opened the episode page and realised I've been trying to keep track of this unruly beast since January 5th with Bette Davis.
    It was in 6 parts back then.
    Bette's odd 'cockney sparra' accent from the film following her program has stayed with me though, thoroughly unpleasant character she played too.

They've cancelled the James Stewart one which was meant to be on today (unless it was shown earlier today). It's now a Daily Politics Special. They've got the James Stewart film 'Magic Town' on now, but without the accompanying episode of 'Talking Pictures'.

The John Mills TP is still down for tomorrow and Davis for Monday. Tony Curtis Tuesday, Dirk Bogarde Weds.

In the opening credits I've noticed Peter Ustinov, amongst one or two other faces. As you said, we've got 3 more to come. I hope we get to see these and the Beeb aren't just teasing us! Ustinov should be a good one. He was always good at telling stories, funny voices and little anecdotes, rather like David Niven. If you've ever seen An Audience with Peter Ustinov you'll know what I mean :)
    Forum Member
    Ahh, I missed Jimmy Stewart the first time round.
    I deleted John Wayne last time, think I'll keep it now, (into my Talk collection) he's a more interesting and brighter chap than the impression I've had of him for all these years.

I wonder if Tony Bilbow is still alive, he always gave a good interview.
    Ustinov, as you say another well known and reliable raconteur, always good value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heston one was excellent. Much more of an amusing raconteur than I thought he would be. Isn`t it odd how broadcasters manage to find time to shoehorn in some reference to his (yes, deeply unpleasant) later-life views on gun control (or lack thereof) but seemingly cannot spare time to mention the campaigning he did for civil rights? There`s plenty of footage of him on marches and such but the frequency with which that stuff is forsaken in favour of a shot of him toting a rifle makes one suspect Michael Moore is called in to edit any and all docos on Charlton Heston!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/charlton-heston-as-you-wont-remember-him-805398.html