Firefox 25 Update

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Done absolutely nothing in performance, Firefox has truly problem in performance... It eats CPU & GPU resources like mad in everything you do. Even when you download a file, CPU and HDD activity are unnecessarily intense.

Already version 26 is out on beta 1.

Comments

• scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Done absolutely nothing in performance, Firefox has truly problem in performance... It eats CPU & GPU resources like mad in everything you do. Even when you download a file, CPU and HDD activity are unnecessarily intense.

If you're not happy with it, have you tired another browser? Perhaps the awesome Chrome, or even Internet Explorer 10?

:) Mark
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Firefox have not been great for a while now, Version 4 where it went haywire, started doing ti in version 3 mind you, but Version 4 was the worse and never improved since. even with faster machines firefox seems to get slower and slower.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Firefox have not been great for a while now, Version 4 where it went haywire, started doing ti in version 3 mind you, but Version 4 was the worse and never improved since. even with faster machines firefox seems to get slower and slower.

I don't think that is particularly true of the newest versions. Of course a lot will depend on your machine so everyone will have different results.
    I think some people have serious issues when they are getting frustrated by fractions of seconds when using their PC. ;)
    I used Chrome until it went all weird on me after one particular update. Went back to FF and haven't had any issues since.
    I haven't a particular loyalty to a browser so will use whatever feels comfortable...right now it's FF, next year....Who knows?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i'm on 26.0b1

i'm not able to discern any difference.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    browser.yandex.com
    The fastest browser I have found by far
    It loads quickly & page rendering is fast
    Use Chrome extensions if you wish
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I don't think that is particularly true of the newest versions. Of course a lot will depend on your machine so everyone will have different results.
    I think some people have serious issues when they are getting frustrated by fractions of seconds when using their PC. ;)
    I used Chrome until it went all weird on me after one particular update. Went back to FF and haven't had any issues since.
    I haven't a particular loyalty to a browser so will use whatever feels comfortable...right now it's FF, next year....Who knows?

it is not so much in use, while that do matter to a certain extent, you are not going to notice the difference in speed for say the BBC news site displaying on firefox than in chrome. The problem with Firefox is the amount of time it takes to startup and as far as i know they have still not sorted out the memory leak.

There are other things about firefox I am not fond of, I think they are just adding too much to it now.

Chrome itself I don't use, I do use a chrome clone, chromium onlinux and coolNova on windows. Ok I know that Chromium is not a clone as such, but I think it is the closest in linux.

The problem with browsers now is we don't have a lot of choice, You either use Chrome, firefox or Internet Explorer if you use windows, even less choice in Linux.

i know that there are others, but they all uses the rendering engine from one of the main browsers, even Opera now is based on chrome.

i know of one browser I will not be using and that is Internet Explorer.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main problem I'm having with Firefox, is that the first time I use it after turning my laptop on, is that Flash and Silverlight plugins keep hanging.

Once they start working again, they are OK till I next turn the computer off and back on again.
    Forum Member
    The main problem I'm having with Firefox, is that the first time I use it after turning my laptop on, is that Flash and Silverlight plugins keep hanging.

Once they start working again, they are OK till I next turn the computer off and back on again.

Wouldn't that be an individual problem? Obviously it's not affecting everyone so is it Mozilla's fault or not?....Answers on a postcard...;)
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash plug-ins keep periodically crashing my Firefox browsing sessions. Tried re-installs of both.

The CPU use is also nothing short of horrendous.

I'm almost ready to try another browser, but I like FF too much.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't that be an individual problem? Obviously it's not affecting everyone so is it Mozilla's fault or not?....Answers on a postcard...;)

I didn't say it was or wasn't, just pointing out that is a problem I've been having.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The problem with Firefox is the amount of time it takes to startup and as far as i know they have still not sorted out the memory leak.

Umm... unless you're having stability issues, which would be a serious issue, why would starting up a browser that takes a few seconds longer than another browser be such a major problem? I start up my browser, use it for the full session, then close it before shutting down the computer. Are there people who still believe that computers can't multi-task and have to turn on and shut down their programs between uses within a computer session? We're back to the eighties and early nineties?

As for memory, I have to say that I don't seem to be suffering this with Firefox on Linux. I have 1Gb RAM on this ancient machine (over ten-years-old), yet Firefox plays nicely (it has for a long time). Still, we all have different machines, different needs, different set-ups, etc, so my experience doesn't trump yours. However, it also means that the problem isn't universal.
    There are other things about firefox I am not fond of, I think they are just adding too much to it now.

I sort of sympathise with this. I wish they'd fix some of the long-standing bugs rather than add more of them. Still, some of the additions I like, and suspect that other changes are liked by others. Maybe they need to have officially supported extensions for some of the new additions.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have found another problem with FF25 when you try and post a comment on Facebook or Twitter it is blocking you from doing that. It didn't do this when I used FF24 only after I updated to FF25. It is also very slow FF25 it basically brought my machine to a crawl.

I think this is the last version I will be using of Firefox and have moved over to Chrome where I am very happy with the speed I have gained from using chrome. I am also using the same extensions in Chrome that were in my FF25, so it could have been them.
    Forum Member
    I've just posted on Twitter with Firefox 25 and had no problems. Maybe it's an extension issue? Try Help>Restart with Add-ons Disabled to see if it works without extensions (don't worry, the change isn't permanent). If it does work, then play hunt the problem extension.
    Forum Member
    i have found another problem with FF25 when you try and post a comment on Facebook or Twitter it is blocking you from doing that. It didn't do this when I used FF24 only after I updated to FF25. It is also very slow FF25 it basically brought my machine to a crawl.

I think this is the last version I will be using of Firefox and have moved over to Chrome where I am very happy with the speed I have gained from using chrome. I am also using the same extensions in Chrome that were in my FF25, so it could have been them.

Using 25 here, no problems. Wouldn't it be better to find out what is causing the problem? If it was FF alone then it would be happening to everyone..Bringing your whole machine to a crawl would be serious....
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using 25 here, no problems. Wouldn't it be better to find out what is causing the problem? If it was FF alone then it would be happening to everyone..Bringing your whole machine to a crawl would be serious....

Before getting rid of FF25 I got rid of all my extensions so it was a bog standed FF25 with nothing added and the problem was still there. It just started to make machine crawl when the browser was open and that was the only program running. As soon as i uninstalled FF25 installed Chrome it was like day and night. My machine is so much faster and I have installed the same extensions that I used on FF25 in Chrome and not a single problem with it.
    Forum Member
    Before getting rid of FF25 I got rid of all my extensions so it was a bog standed FF25 with nothing added and the problem was still there. It just started to make machine crawl when the browser was open and that was the only program running. As soon as i uninstalled FF25 installed Chrome it was like day and night. My machine is so much faster and I have installed the same extensions that I used on FF25 in Chrome and not a single problem with it.

Strange, It just doesn't make any sense really. Logically, if it was a general FF fault alone it would be universal........I would have done the same as you though, had it happened on my machine.....:)
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    I've just posted on Twitter with Firefox 25 and had no problems. Maybe it's an extension issue? Try Help>Restart with Add-ons Disabled to see if it works without extensions (don't worry, the change isn't permanent). If it does work, then play hunt the problem extension.
    was an extension issue causing the trouble for me, after enabling flash & javascript that 25 blocks (& that must annoy many) I eventually found problem was 'do not track me' addon -- can now post to twitter/facebook
    Forum Member

Another problem could have been a corrupted profile, especially if you've had one for a long time. You could always try to make a fresh profile and try again. Mind you, I suspect you're happy with whatever you're now using, which in the end of the day is what's important.
    barky99 wrote: »
    was an extension issue causing the trouble for me, after enabling flash & javascript that 25 blocks (& that must annoy many) I eventually found problem was 'do not track me' addon -- can now post to twitter/facebook

Yeah, it's always worth trying to eliminate extension issues as being the problem before deciding it's the browser's fault. Extension authors aren't always as rigorous as the browser's developers, or their extensions get hardly updated or abandoned. As you probably know, you don't need to uninstall the extensions to do this, because Firefox allows you to restart the browser with extensions disabled.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started using Chrome after Firefox 3 came out, no idea what Firefox is like now, but if one browser is too slow try others :P
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried updating and says up to date on 25.0?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

that's the latest version.
    Forum Member

Then you have the latest. You probably have it on automatic updates and it got updated before you tried manually.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I updated manually just earlier I must of been on 24 for ages :)
    Forum Member
    I updated manually just earlier I must of been on 24 for ages :)

Well, all of 6 weeks....;)
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Umm... unless you're having stability issues, which would be a serious issue, why would starting up a browser that takes a few seconds longer than another browser be such a major problem?

I've always wondered this too. Though these days I notice no difference between Firefox and other browsers.
    I start up my browser, use it for the full session, then close it before shutting down the computer.

That's my normal usage pattern too. At work I leave the PC on with apps running for days. I may restart the browser(s) from time to time depending on context (I do web dev).
    As for memory, I have to say that I don't seem to be suffering this with Firefox on Linux. I have 1Gb RAM on this ancient machine (over ten-years-old), yet Firefox plays nicely (it has for a long time). Still, we all have different machines, different needs, different set-ups, etc, so my experience doesn't trump yours. However, it also means that the problem isn't universal.

No problem here either. But then, from hanging out in the various browser forums, I've noticed that for every browser there are users who experience these problems and users who don't. But those unlucky enough to experience them write as though their experience is universal.