Rap

postitpostit Posts: 23,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First of all let me admit that I'm very old.

For the sake of my grandchildren I have tried to listen to this. Now bear in mind my age, I'm used to melodies and songs that one can sing along to.....however, I've found that I have had to turn off various tracks because of the sewer language. Particularly Kanye West.

It seems to me, a decrepit oldie, that rap consists of barely rhymic foul mouthed lyrics to a beat of sorts.

I would love someone to recommend some rap that I could safely play to satisfy my grandchildren and not assault my senses.

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insist on playing the worst that you can find, then with any luck you'll make it seem so un-hip that they'll turn their backs on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 21 but I don't get it either

To me it sounds like blokes talking over a catchy beat. The words seem to be irrelevant.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    The dance-pop stuff with rapping like Pitbull, Flo Rida, LMFAO, Black Eyed Peas (I Gotta Feeling), etc. is probably the type of thing that would appeal to grandparents the most. Some adult contemporary stations played Pitbull - Give Me Everything and I Gotta Feeling, for example. I think that type of music is usually awful though, but I do like other genres with rapping/MCing like grime, hip hop, UK garage, dubstep, bassline, etc. But the Pitbull/Flo Rida sort of stuff seems to be the only thing that adults have a chance of liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tupac - Keep Ya Head Up is a nice song about respecting women. :)

The only kid-friendly rapper I can think of is maybe Chipmunk ('Look For Me') and maybe Iyaz ('Solo', 'Replay', 'So Big')
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's made by morons for morons.

Note: I'm only talking about mainstream rap, there are some poetic rappers on the underground I do believe with a message other than race, money, guns & women.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's made by morons for morons.

Note: I'm only talking about mainstream rap, there are some poetic rappers on the underground I do believe with a message other than race, money, guns & women.

The major labels keep any artist that tells stories or has a positive/political message underground..corporate BS.They just like to promote negativity.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »

I would love someone to recommend some rap that I could safely play to satisfy my grandchildren and not assault my senses.

If it's purely to satisfy your grandchildren, find out what they like and play that. If it's for your own benefit maybe try something by The Roots - How I Got Over is a great album of articulate hip-hop with live instruments and some interesting samples. The album by John Legend and the Roots - Wake Up! - is a good mix of straight-ahead soul and thoughtful rap.

But I wouldn't expect grandchildren to like it.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have said before that I think Rap music could be used to open a generations eyes to issues that affect them, in a protest song kind of way, but that would never get airplay
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I'm surprised the OP singled out Kanye West for criticism. Some of his work is superb, eg Lost In The World with Bon Iver on vocals. Or how about the incredible orchestral version of Heard Em Say? Again, maybe not for the grandchildren but outstanding music.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    First of all let me admit that I'm very old.

For the sake of my grandchildren I have tried to listen to this. Now bear in mind my age, I'm used to melodies and songs that one can sing along to.....however, I've found that I have had to turn off various tracks because of the sewer language. Particularly Kanye West.

It seems to me, a decrepit oldie, that rap consists of barely rhymic foul mouthed lyrics to a beat of sorts.

Macklemore is amazing, you should check out Same Love, Wings and Thrift Shop aswell as the rest of his "The Heist" album. Also check out Childish Gambino - Heartbeat.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Macklemore is amazing, you should check out Same Love, Wings and Thrift Shop aswell as the rest of his "The Heist" album. Also check out Childish Gambino - Heartbeat.

I love Heartbeat!

Childish Gambino had a song a few years ago that I really liked. Really introspective and it was talking about the sorts of people that become popular/unpopular, and the reasons why. I never was able to find the song again, but I was surprised to hear such a specific and honest song.

Another Childish Gambino song I like at the moment is the Relations remix by Kenna. I can't pin-point what genre it is, sounds a bit like R&B, house, funk. But it's catchy as hell! I wish that song was more popular so I could hear it in clubs and parties.

Yeah, I think Macklemore is someone that would appeal to older people as well. Same Love even got played on Heart FM, and that station usually avoids rapping at all costs!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince - parents just don't understand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI

young mc - principles office
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7fs2979Y4

salt n pepa - shake your thang
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9JLyEp3rc

de la soul - eye know
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me5uEsbX9eU

fat boys - wipeout/the twist