Should my Viewing Card look like this (Burnt!)?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
Forum Member
I've posted about my overheating Amstrad in another thread.. but I just wondered if it was normal for a Sky viewing card to look like this?

It's VERY hot on that darkest spot...

Wonder if it's normal (I blummin hope not!)

K

Comments

• AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kipster wrote: »
    I've posted about my overheating Amstrad in another thread.. but I just wondered if it was normal for a Sky viewing card to look like this?

K
    My mate's Pace did the same thing. No idea about my Sammy.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Never had my card out before but just checked and mine has a slight yellowish spot there but nothing like yours. Mines a pace box.
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Um No! Would be the obvious answer there.

I would get it looked at as a house fire isn't funny!
  • KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I agree a house fire is not funny and if I was you I would switch it off and get SKY around ASAP.

It is better to be safe than sorry.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Talk about panicking :D

This is an EXTREMELY common sight on Sky cards, it's perfectly normal and no cause at all for any concern.

In fact, of the tiny number of faulty Sky cards I've ever come across, none were burnt in that way.

If the OP does want to get it changed (and the new one will probably rapidly go the same anyway) he should be aware that as soon as he rings the old card will be completely killed off - so he'll have no Sky until the new card arrives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Just rang Sky - bloke sounded very concerned that the viewing card was browned, and it was kicking out so much heat.

So free engineer visit on Monday afternoon, he told me it was probably best to keep it switched off until then so 'no damage could occur to your property' - yikes.

K
    Forum Member
    Just rang Sky - bloke sounded very concerned that the viewing card was browned, and it was kicking out so much heat.

So free engineer visit on Monday afternoon, he told me it was probably best to keep it switched off until then so 'no damage could occur to your property' - yikes.

Feel free, if you don't want any Sky TV until an installer (not an engineer) has been round - and if he decides it's a problem (bearing in mind he has no technical training or ability) then it will take another few days until a replacement card arrives.

Like I said, this is normal and EXTREMELY common.
    Forum Member
    Well it's not just the card is browned.. the box is getting very warm, very very very warm considering the fact it's not got anything else around it. The pictures are pixelating and sound is popping when it's this hot, when left off overnight it works fine. So the box obviously is playing up, just wondered if the card being this way was a symptom.
    Forum Member
    Feel free, if you don't want any Sky TV until an installer (not an engineer) has been round - and if he decides it's a problem (bearing in mind he has no technical training or ability) then it will take another few days until a replacement card arrives.

LOL - I do know what you mean - the box is obviously wonky (see my last post). I'm not gonna cut my nose off to spite my face - I'll leave the box on to watch telly, and turn it off overnight / unattended. The card is working fine, as I say, just wondered if the browning was normal!

K
    Forum Member
    Well it's not just the card is browned.. the box is getting very warm, very very very warm considering the fact it's not got anything else around it. The pictures are pixelating and sound is popping when it's this hot, when left off overnight it works fine. So the box obviously is playing up, just wondered if the card being this way was a symptom.

If the box is acting up, then it's probable the installer will replace the box (it's all he can do) - the heat is probably normal (they do run hot), and the box most likely just requires a few capacitors replacing. On the Amstrads though they are on the main board (near the tuners), difficult to get to, and hard to source replacements small enough.
    Forum Member
    Yeah - I'm not overly bothered about getting a new box TBH, most of my recent recordings have fouled up, so there's nothing on there I'm bothered about. I know that the Amstrad's run hot (probably because the fan is well away from the hot stuff!). If they'd have forced me to pay for the visit I might have refused and had a little test myself (I'm no stranger to a soldering iron!). But I'm happy with the result!

K
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Why can't the installer look at the box, agree that yes! it shouldn't get that hot and replace the box?

That way if (which is most likely) it's the hot box burning the card and not the other way around, if the card is still functioning OK it can be safely put back in the new/refurbished cool replacement box.

The card can then be paired with the new box and bob is your teapot.

Well that is the sensible solution, so not much chance of that happening.
    Forum Member
    Why can't the installer look at the box, agree that yes! it shouldn't get that hot and replace the box?

That way if (which is most likely) it's the hot box burning the card and not the other way around, if the card is still functioning OK it can be safely put back in the new/refurbished cool replacement box.

Well yeah - that's what I guess will happen (hopeso!), as I say I didn't know if the card should look like that, Nigel seems to think it's probably normal. But the box is definitely hotter than it's been before, and I'm having troubles with the picture and sound breaking up when it's so hot, so obviously something is amiss with it! :)
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

K
    Is it just me getting a page of HTML code when I click on that link?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Request has expired</Message>
    <RequestId>8536AE2DC985FCAF</RequestId>
    <Expires>2010-10-29T12:41:16Z</Expires>
    <HostId>7koaTjo5u4/OJ+hlrX7YNd9f5xkKySj71fJjcMssZhLBW1J8UaLssOmDbajIjPFv</HostId>
    <ServerTime>2010-10-29T14:10:44Z</ServerTime>
    </Error>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »

Same here...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and here..
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had one liake that, made the mistake of ringing Sky as i was 'concerned' CS said that it is 'normal' for the card to go like that, but if I was worried they would send a new one, to which I said OK...... 5 mins later no Sky! ranf back and they said as soon as the new one is ordered, bang! off goes the old one, new one arrived in 3 or 4 days tho, and it's went the same colour, didn't tell 'em again tho :D
    Forum Member

It's what he'll do - it's all he can do - but from the sound of the problems (ignoring the overheated card) it sounds like the box is failing anyway.

To be honest, there's a VERY high chance that will happen - it's the only option an installer has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Request has expired</Message>
    <RequestId>8536AE2DC985FCAF</RequestId>
    <Expires>2010-10-29T12:41:16Z</Expires>
    <HostId>7koaTjo5u4/OJ+hlrX7YNd9f5xkKySj71fJjcMssZhLBW1J8UaLssOmDbajIjPFv</HostId>
    <ServerTime>2010-10-29T14:10:44Z</ServerTime>
    </Error>

Fantastic, the OP has dumped his sky card details, package "Sky World", LOL :eek::D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Hmm - flippin Twitpic! The image is here now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    bearing in mind he has no technical training or ability

clearly Nigel knows each and every installer personally and has a thorough understanding of each installers prior training, qualifications, technical knowledge and experience
    Forum Member
    stevie_r wrote: »
    clearly Nigel knows each and every installer personally and has a thorough understanding of each installers prior training, qualifications, technical knowledge and experience

Clearly Nigel understands what odds are :D

Assuming there's even a single Sky installer out there who's a capable electronics engineer, he wouldn't be allowed to do anything different to the other installers anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my card is the same and i have a pace HD box but never noticed it when i had the blue card ?
  • kenedinkenedin Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had this installer/engineer argie bargie for long enough, and I think just about everybody understands the difference. Ordinary folk who have visits from Sky aren't really interested in the niceties of language, they just want their digibox working. If your car breaks down, you want the AA to come out. Whether you call him an engineer, mechanic, repairman, roadside helper or whatever is neither here nor there. It's help you need, not an argument about his job title.
    Forum Member
    kenedin wrote: »
    We've had this installer/engineer argie bargie for long enough, and I think just about everybody understands the difference. Ordinary folk who have visits from Sky aren't really interested in the niceties of language, they just want their digibox working. If your car breaks down, you want the AA to come out. Whether you call him an engineer, mechanic, repairman, roadside helper or whatever is neither here nor there. It's help you need, not an argument about his job title.

So you have no problem going to visit your doctor, and been examined and treated by the receptionist, calling herself a doctor?.