Has Christopher Eccleston ever commented on David Tennants performance?

Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know he likes Matt Smith but I wonder what he may have thought about maybe catching his successors performance, especially in 'The Christmas Invasion' in his clothes!! That must have been weird if he saw that!

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too bothered what he thinks of Tennant's performance. Every actor has their own interpretation of the character that is necessarily different from their predecessors. Eccleston's not even a Doctor Who fan anyway and never was - he did it because he wanted to work with RTD. He was clear about that from day one.

I'm more interested in who he couldn't get on with that forced him to leave. Now that is really interesting. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered what he thinks of Tennant's performance.

That's nice. But the OP clearly is, hence the thread. What a pointless reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    That's nice. But the OP clearly is, hence the thread. What a pointless reply.

OK, here's a better reply. Why would Eccleston give a crap about his successor's performance then if he's not even that big a fan of the show? And what is your brilliant, enlightening contribution to the thread then?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure he commented about enjoying Matts performance in roles outside of the show, not in Doctor Who itself, though I could be wrong, I don't think he actually watches Doctor Who.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because our worlds revolve around Doctor Who why should Ecclestones. It was a job he did and did brilliantly for a writer he had immense respect for. I doubt he has even sat through a full episode and why should he? And why should he care what Tennant does? Some people like gossip and others speaking out of turn. But Ecclestone has class in abundance as does RTD who apart from lavishing praise on the talent has made sure he never became the ex-spouse at the wedding by constantly weighing in on the Moffat era.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too bothered what he thinks of Tennant's performance. Every actor has their own interpretation of the character that is necessarily different from their predecessors. Eccleston's not even a Doctor Who fan anyway and never was - he did it because he wanted to work with RTD. He was clear about that from day one.

I'm more interested in who he couldn't get on with that forced him to leave. Now that is really interesting. ;)
    It is rumoured to be a director that he didn't get on with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why should he care what Tennant does?

Oh, what a pointless reply, as Lulz77 would say. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only joking there, BTW. I agree entirely with everything you say in your post. Eccleston's opinion, if he even has one, on Tennant, Matt Smith, even bloody William Hartnell etc. is pretty irrelevant. What matters is what the audience think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    It is rumoured to be a director that he didn't get on with.

From what Eccleston has said, it was more than just one person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, here's a better reply. Why would Eccleston give a crap about his successor's performance then if he's not even that big a fan of the show? And what is your brilliant, enlightening contribution to the thread then?

The OP asked a question and your response was "I'm not bothered. This is what I want to know.."

You don't see how that's pointless? It's like someone starting a thread asking when Doctor Who is back and you putting "I'm not bothered. I want to know when is Take Me Out back?"

And in answer to your question, I didnt have an answer for the OP so I didn't reply, rather than dismissing their question and asking my own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure he commented about enjoying Matts performance in roles outside of the show, not in Doctor Who itself, though I could be wrong, I don't think he actually watches Doctor Who.

This is exactly what he said, in the same interview when asked about if he was returning for the 50th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »

And in answer to your question, I didnt have an answer for the OP so I didn't reply, rather than dismissing their question and asking my own.

Well that's really fascinating. Thanks. Sounds like you're not bothered either. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly what he said, in the same interview when asked about if he was returning for the 50th.

Indeed. It's here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/christopher-eccleston/23641/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-on-the-50th-anniversary

From what I've seen, I don't think Eccleston could care less about Doctor Who if he tried. He looks really sick of being asked about it to me. I reckon he just wishes it would go away.

But I do seriously wonder what people expect someone like Eccleston to say when he's asked about other actors taking a part that he decided to leave. Even if he did watch it and didn't like them, is he really likely to say it and risk looking critical of a fellow actor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. It's here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/christopher-eccleston/23641/doctor-who-christopher-eccleston-on-the-50th-anniversary

From what I've seen, I don't think Eccleston could care less about Doctor Who if he tried. He looks really sick of being asked about it to me. I reckon he just wishes it would go away.

But I do seriously wonder what people expect someone like Eccleston to say when he's asked about other actors taking a part that he decided to leave. Even if he did watch it and didn't like them, is he really likely to say it and risk looking critical of a fellow actor?

Sometimes an actor takes a job on a show like Doctor Who, and realises it's something they'll have to embrace forever. Sometimes an actor takes the same gig, and it's just that - a paid gig - and feels bemused by the attention that comes afterwards. It's just about how you see the role and what it means to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes an actor takes a job on a show like Doctor Who, and realises it's something they'll have to embrace forever. Sometimes an actor takes the same gig, and it's just that - a paid gig - and feels bemused by the attention that comes afterwards. It's just about how you see the role and what it means to you.

Absolutely. It's just hard to believe that a very intelligent guy like Eccleston didn't realise what he was letting himself in for when he took the part. I'm sure the cult status of the show and the obsession of the fans has put off many great actors from taking the part over the years.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably hasn't watched the show since he left. You can understand it, in a way, it would feel weird to see someone else become the character you've basically been forced to leave behind. It will also have been hard for David Tennant to watch Matt Smith take the reins, I'm guessing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably hasn't watched the show since he left. You can understand it, in a way, it would feel weird to see someone else become the character you've basically been forced to leave behind. It will also have been hard for David Tennant to watch Matt Smith take the reins, I'm guessing.

I'm pretty sure Tennant said he still watches, but he always was a fan, first and foremost. :)
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh....ok as I seemed to have ignited something which wasn't my intention. I suppose this being a Doctor Who forum I could've kept that element out of the question and just enquire about the actors crossing paths. Just with the 50th approaching and all that, it's true he didn't directly reference Matt with DW but why else would he have been asked about him? I just wanted to know because DT has always extended praise to CE and I've not read anything from CE vice-versa. Eccleston is also one of my favourite actors so it's not just Who orientated.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I'm not even sure Tennant and Ecclestone even met. The 9th/10th Doctor regeneration was filmed in such a way as it didn't look like Chris was there for the critical moment.

Unlike 10/11 where there are pictures of the two on set together, filming the regeneration scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CE is reputed to be a somewhat focussed and professional performer which makes him something of a delight for directors to work with - turns in high quality work quickly.

I suspect that CE got quite impatient and frustrated with the amount of queeny production infighting taking place, as numerous DW fanboys verbally slap each other silly about trivial matters ("No, the Doctor should hold his screwdriver with two fingers and a thumb, he would never use three!").

It's been alluded to that he didn't get on with another member of the onscreen 'talent' due to their lack of professionalism; the same person that did something incredibly inappropriate on location for another production which resulted in a formal complaint by an individual not involved in the production and would have resulted in the 'talent's' immediate dismissal by any other organisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'm not even sure Tennant and Ecclestone even met. The 9th/10th Doctor regeneration was filmed in such a way as it didn't look like Chris was there for the critical moment.

Unlike 10/11 where there are pictures of the two on set together, filming the regeneration scene.

There was two months between filming Eccleston's side, and Tennants (Feb/Apr '05).

While CE and DT have worked together before (Jude), the closest link anywhere else one can find between them is that both are close friends with David Morrisey. Doesn't mean that much though.

Whatever the reasons for Eccleston's departure, he's maintained a reasonable silence on the matter, and that should be applauded. And if he's now willing to come back, then yah, let's all be happy for that, because he was ...fantastic.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Euros Lyn was supposed to have been one of them.

I'm pretty sure Tennant said he still watches, but he always was a fan, first and foremost. :)

Yes, he commented on Matt's performance in 2010. :)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. It's just hard to believe that a very intelligent guy like Eccleston didn't realise what he was letting himself in for when he took the part. I'm sure the cult status of the show and the obsession of the fans has put off many great actors from taking the part over the years.
    Quite. Christopher Eccleston would have had to be pretty naive not to be well aware that if he took the part of the Doctor it would follow him for the rest of his life, letalone the rest of his career!
    :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the production of Who will be much smoother now than when BBC Wales first took it on in 2004. The most solid thing we know about him leaving the show was that he said he would do a second series if certain conditions for the cast and crew were met, and, when the BBC couldn't promise that, he left.
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Keith Boak Eccleston had a major falling out with, over Boak treating extras and crew badly. Boak has never directed there since.

David Tennant mentioned in an interview that he and Eccleston had had the same accent coach, when he was doing his American pilot a couple of years ago, and that they had some tea together. I got the impression it was the first time they'd met since Jude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:As Catherine tate said as Lauren , Am I boovved , whaat a strange thread ax