Clara and River

MissyQMissyQ Posts: 317
Forum Member
I have not read much about the new series of Dr Who. A thought occurred to me... Could Clara be River in the before times?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it, in the prequel we see her as a young girl with a mother
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be if there is no River then there must be a Clara, if there is no Clara then there must be a River? Could it be something to do with River taking the Doctor's place in the library?:confused:
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Could it be if there is no River then there must be a Clara, if there is no Clara then there must be a River? Could it be something to do with River taking the Doctor's place in the library?:confused:

Now I've been thinking about this for a few days.

Don't open this if you want to go into the final completely unspoiled, it's just speculation but it does include actual important factors from the episode.
    Considering The Whispermen are the monsters in the final, with a possible connection to The Trickster/Pantheon Of Discord, Clara could well be a result of whatever they are trying to achieve. In the latest trailer they're standing in front of River's gravestone, so their mission definitely involves her in some way. Obviously this sort of thing would only happen if they posses the same abilities as the trickster.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Nope.

Clara and River are two different characters and to be honest, this theory has been debunked in what we've seen and heard of Clara so far, including the latest prequel we had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Nope.

Clara and River are two different characters and to be honest, this theory has been debunked in what we've seen and heard of Clara so far, including the latest prequel we had.

I think they're two different characters but I do think it's possible that something might happen in the final that causes whatever has happen to Clara, and considering what prop we see in the final, it might have something to do with River.
    Forum Member
    I really hope not to be honest. The only connection that Clara and River should have should be them travelling with the 11th Doctor.

Anything else seems unneccesary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I really hope not to be honest. The only connection that Clara and River should have should be them travelling with the 11th Doctor.

Anything else seems unneccesary

I know exactly what you mean, I don't want them to be linked either.

Although I can see it happening like this...
    they give doctor a choice, a choice between Clara or something to do with River, possibly her being saved from the library.

But I'd rather that not happen and Steven give us something brilliant instead.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing the two meet.Wonder if he will mention he is married or tell Clara anything about River before that. Not long to wait now before 7.2 starts.Hope the 50th year does a good job of celebrating the show both its past and its future.
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissyQ wrote: »
    Could Clara be River in the before times?

Not if the Moff wants to live...
  • stevenalisstevenalis Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Clara is probably the little girl who was the computer in the Library and what we are seeing is different fragments of her life maybe?
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissyQ wrote: »
    Could Clara be River in the before times?

I hope so and there's nothing been shown yet that makes it impossible. I'd also be happy if she was the 12th Doctor. Up until now I've been dead against the Doctor changing gender, but I think Jenna could carry it off.
    Forum Member
    stevenalis wrote: »
    Clara is probably the little girl who was the computer in the Library and what we are seeing is different fragments of her life maybe?

She isn't. The prequel for The Bells Of Saint John put that one to rest.
  • berncolberncol Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been suggested on other forums that the 'OS' in Oswald could be a reference to Operating System.
    And the repeated phrase "Run, you clever boy" an instruction to run a program?
    You never know...
    Forum Member
    berncol wrote: »
    It has been suggested on other forums that the 'OS' in Oswald could be a reference to Operating System.
    And the repeated phrase "Run, you clever boy" an instruction to run a program?
    You never know...

I don't think it means anything.

I think Clara is just a human who's been splintered in different parts of times.

I don't think she's connected to any past characters, including something like CAL in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant see it being a past character:
    Cant be River as Clara has a mother(not Amy), Clara doesnt regenerate etc
    Doubt its CAL as would anybody really remember her?

I imagine that its either someone trapped somewhere and splintered through time, as a trap for the Doctor
    Forum Member
    I think some people just want a link between Clara and River when clearly there isn't one.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Cant see it being a past character:
    Cant be River as Clara has a mother(not Amy), Clara doesnt regenerate etc
    Doubt its CAL as would anybody really remember her?

I imagine that its either someone trapped somewhere and splintered through time, as a trap for the Doctor
    I think the prequel pretty much dismissed the CAL theory, as well as the River one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That too!

Is it to hard to assume that Clara is a new character?
    Forum Member
    For some people, I'm thinking so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That too!

Is it to hard to assume that Clara is a new character?

No it's not hard. I think it would be a cool twist if Clara was a young Melody. Just my opinion and it could happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    No it's not hard. I think it would be a cool twist if Clara was a young Melody. Just my opinion and it could happen.

It was already a cool timey wimey twist that she was best friends with Rory and Amy...

I think and hope that it's unlikely... people are already charging Moffat with a lack of imagination... I don't think this but I will if he does as you suggest and River is my favourite character ever.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people need a blackboard, a piece of chalk and a few hours to spare so they can jolly well stand there writing 'Clara is a new character' over and over until it sinks in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    It was already a cool timey wimey twist that she was best friends with Rory and Amy...

I think and hope that it's unlikely... people are already charging Moffat with a lack of imagination... I don't think this but I will if he does as you suggest and River is my favourite character ever.

That's great, but I still think what I think despite the negativity kicking about. I'd like it if Clara was a young River or I wouldn't mind if she was the 12th Doctor. I get more excited about returning characters and links to the history of the show than new characters.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara could be something borrowed.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or blue? Is that wrong?