Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Emma was incredibly horrible to Howard, I just wish he had told her to get the heck out of his house. He did not look impressed though.

Mrs Tembe was lovely and that other church lady :D Her face was a picture :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    An episode with believable characters for once. In Doctors a scarf is normally worn by men pretending to be women and trying to hide the adam's apple , so it made a nice change for it to be used to hide a clerical collar .

The woman and daughter were believable as well , and it was a nice touch foe her to be seen looking for adverts for young models at the end .

Sam seems to have recovered quite a bit from a few weeks ago when he was bed bound, and can lead a fairly normal life . I doubt very much whether a Swiss clinic would accept him as he does not appear to be terminally ill or in any kind of pain
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    Sam seems to have recovered quite a bit from a few weeks ago when he was bed bound, and can lead a fairly normal life . I doubt very much whether a Swiss clinic would accept him as he does not appear to be terminally ill or in any kind of pain

It wouldn't be the first time someone with depression but no other illness has gone off to Dignitas though. Wasn't there an elderly couple who did it quite recently?
  • Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Emma was truly awful in yesterday's episode - selfish is one thing, but to have your husband sectioned? I have never liked her much anyway - Howard could do much better.

I still am not convinced by the whole new vicar thing. I realise that it may be a different denomination from the Anglican church (though the building is very Anglican), but in our church we were nearly 2 years without a vicar, and being on our church's PCC I know what sort of hoops have to be jumped through to even advertise for a new one - some churches in our diocese aren't even able to appoint a new one - the ones in other parishes have to take on extra.

However, although the new vicar (I like others had guess who he was from the start) said he was pleased with the way he had been welcomed, I suspect he may have a few issues with the other parishioners apart from Mrs Tembe who was lovely as they showed no Christian values in their treatment of him until he revealed who he was.

The young girl and her mum was a very believeable story - but the little girl was a dreadful actresss - sorry!!
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,548
    Forum Member
    Hi, long time lurker on this thread, so finally decided to join in. :)

I actually really enjoyed todays episode. As soon as the man walked into the church, I thought it was obvious that he was the vicar but I still enjoyed the storyline nonetheless. I like the little rivalry between Mrs. Tembe and the other woman and the little sly comments. 'I hope he's hungry, you're flapjacks are filling' Go Mrs. Tembe!!!

Also liked the storyline with the girl and her mother.Actually thought it was quite realistic. When she was leaving the surgery and was telling Daniel that she would do what the girl wanted etc. I was just thinking how silly it would be if the woman just changed all her views and goal for her daughter in a single doctors appointment, so was glad to see that she hadn't really changed at the end. Much more realistic.

WIth that whole big announcement from Sam yesterday, I was expecting more that about 3 minutes of Emma on screen. I really liked Emma when she first came in but now she is getting on my nerves. I hate the way she is all hot and cold with Howard. He really tries, bless him.:)
    I always feel with Emma/Sam like i've missed an episode (which I haven't) because I still don't fully get the relationship.I don't think they fully explained the whole open relationship thing properly. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attentio

Sorry for the bit of a rant!:D

Hi, C'mon in, the water is lovely!
    If I don't hear a very funny response from some of the other regular posters I'l be wondering why though!:D :)

RE the bit in bold, no your right. This is the second time in quick succession that Doctors have gone into "half baked" storyline mode with regard to not seeing the full story through or not explaining the background fully.

First they did it with Kevin's dad and whatever the exact real reason was why he didn't stay with Kevin's mum and yes again, they have not explained for how long Sam and Emma have had this open marriage relationship. In any case I am not impressed with that! I'm the new Vicar too by the way! :D
    Streuth, I just noticed too that I originally wrote Sam and Howard instead of Sam and Emma! Corrected before being posted though!

Back to being serious though, unless Doctors do go onto explain the above anomalies, then that really won't do. I think they will with regard to Kevin's dad as Kevin mentioned his dad to Jimmi the other day and it looks like they will develop the story further which should be good. With Sam and Emma though, I won't mind if they don't explain their background as long as Howard metaphorically kicks Emma's sorry behind out of Letherbridge and out of the programme! :D

Oh and in general something I forgot to mention the other day because of that Emma. Mrs Tembe on the phone to that patient was sooooo hilarious! " Please don't tell me anymore about your piles,....you can show them to Doctor Haskey at 4.45"! :D:p

Having said that, I am getting tired of Mrs Tembe's "activities". I almost think the show should be re named as Mrs Tembe's activities with how much they are concentrating on her!
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not liking it that much at the moment... bit tedious...
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time someone with depression but no other illness has gone off to Dignitas though. Wasn't there an elderly couple who did it quite recently?

if you dont mind a sad story Me after you by Jojo Miles is a terrific read and explains sams predicament quite well I think I would feel pretty much like he does in his position I dont think Id like to live reliant on other people for everything
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you dont mind a sad story Me after you by Jojo Miles is a terrific read and explains sams predicament quite well I think I would feel pretty much like he does in his position I dont think Id like to live reliant on other people for everything

Agreed! I mentioned that book a few posts back on the old thread wondering of the writers had read it - ' Me Before You' -although Will in the novel is quadriplegic and it is made clear he is in a terrible situation, much worse than Sam's. I've read that novel about eight times now :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! I mentioned that book a few posts back on the old thread wondering of the writers had read it - ' Me Before You' -although Will in the novel is quadriplegic and it is made clear he is in a terrible situation, much worse than Sam's. I've read that novel about eight times now :eek:

I was close and Id had a hard days shopping lol.Isams only got the use of one arm and cant do much for himself it's not that different I agree heartily with the idea that you have the right to die if you find life intolerable and you are of sound mind which Sam obviously is life's about quality not quantity
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I was close and Id had a hard days shopping lol.Isams only got the use of one arm and cant do much for himself it's not that different I agree heartily with the idea that you have the right to die if you find life intolerable and you are of sound mind which Sam obviously is life's about quality not quantity

I know I would cope with physical disability far better than losing my mental faculties. I have alrady drawn up a living will laying out the circumstances that I would find intolerable and would not want my life extended by treatmemt or resucitation. I don't want my family to have to deal with the decision if I get to the stage when I can no longer express my wishes on prolonging my life.

In Sam's case he can still make the decision himself, I don't agree with him, but only he can know what he can endure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I know I would cope with physical disability far better than losing my mental faculties. I have alrady drawn up a living will laying out the circumstances that I would find intolerable and would not want my life extended by treatmemt or resucitation. I don't want my family to have to deal with the decision if I get to the stage when I can no longer express my wishes on prolonging my life.

In Sam's case he can still make the decision himself, I don't agree with him, but only he can know what he can endure.

I dont think I would I think somehow its worsse to have a sound mind in a body that wont work than a mind that o longer works inside a sound body at least when you lose your mind you only have very brief moments of remembering what it was like before , when you lose your body you wake up every morning knowing what you have lost .
    then again it's one of those chicken and egg things like which would you rather be blind or deaf
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I dont think I would I think somehow its worsse to have a sound mind in a body that wont work than a mind that o longer works inside a sound body at least when you lose your mind you only have very brief moments of remembering what it was like before , when you lose your body you wake up every morning knowing what you have lost .
    then again it's one of those chicken and egg things like which would you rather be blind or deaf

This is why I say it is different for everyone.
    If I lose my mind then I no longer have any choices, not what I eat, where I go or what medication I take. I find this thought intolerable. I cannot even express pain, have a conversation, read, understand the world around me or recognize the people I have loved. No control over my bodily functions. It is not for me, and I don't want it my children to see me reduced to this knowing that there is no hope.
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    This is why I say it is different for everyone.
    If I lose my mind then I no longer have any choices, not what I eat, where I go or what medication I take. I find this thought intolerable. I cannot even express pain, have a conversation, read, understand the world around me or recognize the people I have loved. No control over my bodily functions. It is not for me, and I don't want it my children to see me reduced to this knowing that there is no hope.

I've already told my children that I don't want to get old and helpless. I look at old people in old people's homes just waiting for the grim reaper, and it fills me with horror. I'd rather just end it before I ever get to that stage - it's not life, it's existence.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Turned over to Alibi this morning and there was a programme called Miss Fishers murder mysteries. I was sure it was Dido Miles playing the lead
    see what you think
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm934786560/nm0204583

Not sure of the way to hide the link
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but when I read Me Before You I WANT Will to commit to a life with Lou every time and yet I 'get' why he cant - but - look at Stephen Hawking ...
  • Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how strange is this - my tivo tv programme information for my planned recordings give 2006 and 2007 episode information for 26th and 27th Feb episodes of Doctors - mentioning Donna, Greg, George and Melody :confused: the eps before and after seem to have the current info....
    I miss George....:(
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    how strange is this - my tivo tv programme information for my planned recordings give 2006 and 2007 episode information for 26th and 27th Feb episodes of Doctors - mentioning Donna, Greg, George and Melody :confused: the eps before and after seem to have the current info....
    I miss George....:(
    A NEW THREAD!!!:eek::D

I miss George too. She could come back and see Daniel/Jimmi:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    watched today's episode with breathless fury at Emma's selfish behaviour! loved Karen rolling over Mrs Tembe's decision to recommend Heston over Jimmi for the new vicar. Actually, Jas's storyline wasn't that bad today etiher.
  • topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmas being such a cow especially the way she told Sam about 'There's Someone Else' but imo Sams also being selfish looking forward to Chris finding out later this week!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for Howard
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two daughters of a woman who went to Dignitas were on This Morning today. They said that just getting there was a "long drawn out process" and it costs £10K ! So I hope this isnt a rushed storyline if that's the way it's going...
    Forum Member
    The two daughters of a woman who went to Dignitas were on This Morning today. They said that just getting there was a "long drawn out process" and it costs £10K ! So I hope this isnt a rushed storyline if that's the way it's going...

It has to be a long drawn out process so that they can ensure the person taking their own life has properly thought it through and it isn't a spur of the moment thing. It's better that way. Like you though I hope they don't rush through it. Presumably Emma is going to have to be the one to organise it for him - or he might be able to organise it on-line himself.
    Forum Member

I thought you where getting bored with the storyline?

I think Emma is right to urge him against it and try and talk him out of it, its the other things she has been doing that I don't like, including leaving him. I'm glad she mooted that he might be able to overcome some of the problems too.

Another snippet today of their background though? They've always had an open marriage by the looks of it? Proper new age hippy kind of thing was it? In any case, poor Chris being lumbered with such carefree parents like that who only seem to really care about themselves and what they want rather than whats in the whole family's interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt say that I implied I didnt like Sam being painted as a Saint just because of his situation. Feisty young Styker !!! :D
    Forum Member
    I didnt say that I implied I didnt like Sam being painted as a Saint just because of his situation. Feisty young Styker !!! :D

Wasn't being feisty, just asking a question/clarification on your feelings on the storyline. :)

I hope Sam changes his mind. I don't think he's thought it all through enough and is acting more out of some kind of frustration/anger than full balanced thoughts.

I once bumped into someone I am aquainted with (though not by choice) who was off his face in general and without going into to much detail about why, he didn't care if he died tommorow all because his mates would remember him as a legend and he seemed to get great "happiness" from that! :rolleyes:

I pointed out to him and I don't think he had this pointed out to him before in the way that I told him nor had he really considered it, that if that did happen, there would be no coming back, that would be it. Once your gone, your gone for good. Not like a bad dream that you can wake up from and all is ok afterwards. I think I might have goton through to him on that point but he is still acting like a right wally in general I think.

I wonder if the likes of Sam really think about death fully before deciding to go ahead with a voluntary death? I get the impression he hasn't and he is more angry about his condition and he as good as said it today, that by going to Switzerland he will regain control, but for what?! :confused:
This discussion has been closed.