Teen Mom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
I've been a lurker on here for some time and so like to read through other people's views on stuff I watch, but I had a search in hope of reading some Teen Mom threads and couldn't find any?

I don't mind admitting that the show is actually me guilty pleasure, but surely I'm not the only one who watches!?

If there are some Teen Mom threads by the way, please just point me in the right direction, thanks!

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it too, so you're not alone.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it too, that's three of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I knew I couldn't have been alone!

Might as well give the thread some direction then, who is your favourite?

I think, unfortunately, a lot of them have some issue of some sort but I do think Maci seems to be coping the best, but then I also think Farrah tries to but still acts like a stroppy teenager so makes it harder to take her seriously as an independent...
  • xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have watched this show (and 16 and pregnant) for a while, i just happened to come across it 2 years ago and instantly liked it.

i have a soft spot for catelynn and tyler :D

cannot stand amber or janelle (and her mum)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I love 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom, I always look out for threads too. My favourites are Maci and Chelsea, don't like Amber or Jenelle or spoilt teen Farrah.

Can't wait for Teen Mom 3!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch this (the original ‘cast’ only) because my wife makes me. 90% of what we watch is my stuff so I have to allow here a few things. But having just said that, its quite watchable, not what I’d choose, but its ok.

My take on them is that Katelyn and Tyler seem the most mature couple and ironically probably would have coped with having a child better than the others (although we’ll never know for sure), Farah is the most immature of the lot, and Amber has the most issues.

:o

Now, where are my The Shield DVDs…..
    :D
  • elmerfuddelmerfudd Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched the original Teen Mom since the beginning, i love it.

Farah is soooo rude, i cannot believe that she speaks her parents the ways she does, no wonder her mum chinned her (not that i agree with it).

Catelynn & Tyler, really routing for them two, against all odds (crappy parents etc) they are still smiling & are far more mature than people twice there age.

Maci, cannot work her out, i like her alot but her & Kyle are going no where cause i believe she is still in love with her ex.

Cannot bring myself to comment on Amber, she is just awful, gary is awful, both hideous people, that child would be better of (and probably safer) with foster parents or with her grandparents (garys mum seems nice).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I love it, but have to stick up for farrah. She's a rude, stroppy cow but I would be with parents like that! They are so controlling, I would scream!

Love Catelynn and Tyler, but maxi annoys me a little - she's very meh!

I love teen mom 2, I prefer some of the cast, Chelsea is great (although The Adam thing is never ending!)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I love this but have to watch it on my days off as its a bit of a guilty pleasure! Out of all the toddlers seen on the show id say amber and garys is the cutest by miles.

Its made me wonder though, what are the child benefits like in america? We see girls who get to around 18, with a kid and either single or a wishy washy partner and they really struggle. They go to school, have a part time job yet cant afford to rent anywhere decent because they spend all their spare cash on baby supplies. So in america arent they entitled to council housing or benefits to spend on baby milk, nappies etc? Or are they just left to deal with it and hope their parents support them financially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a related note, I’ve often thought about what the ‘teen moms’ are paid for being part of this show.
    In America the series gets extremely high ratings for MTV, so one would presume that they all get paid quite a lot per series… but why are some of the couple clearly struggling financially? Obviously there would be little point to the programme if they had a load of money in the bank… so maybe their salaries for the programme are paid into some sort of trust fund or something that they can’t access until the programme has finished (which it now has).

Anyone know?
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    On a related note, I’ve often thought about what the ‘teen moms’ are paid for being part of this show.
    In America the series gets extremely high ratings for MTV, so one would presume that they all get paid quite a lot per series… but why are some of the couple clearly struggling financially? Obviously there would be little point to the programme if they had a load of money in the bank… so maybe their salaries for the programme are paid into some sort of trust fund or something that they can’t access until the programme has finished (which it now has).

Anyone know?

I think their earnings must be ring fenced, they drive massive cars etc so perhaps they can buy big things but still have to reflect true teen life?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I think their earnings must be ring fenced, they drive massive cars etc so perhaps they can buy big things but still have to reflect true teen life?
    I've seen every episode of 16 & pregnant AND Teen Mom 1 & 2. Started when I was on bedrest for a couple of months about 3 years ago. I also read the American forums so a few answers.
    The Teen Moms get around $100,000 and the lads get appearance money too, but it's very unclear whether it has to go into trust funds or anything ( and is probably why the ghastly Adam is still on/off with stupid Chelsey). It's on record if you can google it, because Amber had to declare her income when she went to jail, as I'm sure Janelle had to.

The original Teen Mom has not long finished for good in the States so there's going to be a huge hole in all of their finances without the MTV money coming in. Teen Mom 2 has just started, picking up with Leah and Cory's divorce. It seems odd as it's so long ago that Leah is now on Number 2 ( not sure if it's official yet, but she's definitely on Baby No 3).

They get practically nothing from the Government and it varies from State to State. The Americans on the forums are all over them like a rash if they apply for so much as a food stamp. There seems to be a huge swell of backlash against anyone receiving welfare ( and remember the cost of the birth has to come out of Insurance if they have it)

It's a real culture shock reading it after our lax benefits system. I feel so sorry for Kail as she's had such a rough deal in life with the Mother from hell and no stability. I posted as much on one of the forums but stopped when I was completely dissed for sticking up for her. :rolleyes: Apparently you can work a gazillion jobs on minimum wage, go to school and still have time for a baby.
    They make me so glad I dont live over there and grateful for our benefits system even if it gets abused. They cant say it stops girls getting pregnant because their teenage pregnancy rate is higher than ours

I loved Tyler and Caitlin during the first series but I see them growing apart as Caitlin hasn't got Tylers' drive for college so he's becoming hyper critical of her. I hope they stay together though.

:p I must be one of the few who likes Farrah. She's fiesty,ambitious and determined. Deb is a lousy mother who seems much needier than Farrah and I've loathed her since 16 & Pregnant, even though she dotes on Sophia, who is the cutest thing.
    Macy I've gone completely off, she's become a perrenial whiner, while what can you say about poor screwed up Amber? Like Janelle you wonder if they will ever get their life together. Chelsea annoys the hell out of me, while Leah is just desperate to be a Mum. The twins are cute though.
    I find the shows fascinating,even if I'm not MTV's demographic and the one thing it's taught me is thank God I dont live in America where, if you're poor, you're on your own and how!
    There are also the most stupid naive, idiotic girls in their teens, but I suspect those can be found all over the world. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I've seen every episode of 16 & pregnant AND Teen Mom 1 & 2. Started when I was on bedrest for a couple of months about 3 years ago. I also read the American forums so a few answers.
    The Teen Moms get around $100,000 and the lads get appearance money too, but it's very unclear whether it has to go into trust funds or anything ( and is probably why the ghastly Adam is still on/off with stupid Chelsey). It's on record if you can google it, because Amber had to declare her income when she went to jail, as I'm sure Janelle had to.

The original Teen Mom has not long finished for good in the States so there's going to be a huge hole in all of their finances without the MTV money coming in. Teen Mom 2 has just started, picking up with Leah and Cory's divorce. It seems odd as it's so long ago that Leah is now on Number 2 ( not sure if it's official yet, but she's definitely on Baby No 3).

They get practically nothing from the Government and it varies from State to State. The Americans on the forums are all over them like a rash if they apply for so much as a food stamp. There seems to be a huge swell of backlash against anyone receiving welfare ( and remember the cost of the birth has to come out of Insurance if they have it)

It's a real culture shock reading it after our lax benefits system. I feel so sorry for Kail as she's had such a rough deal in life with the Mother from hell and no stability. I posted as much on one of the forums but stopped when I was completely dissed for sticking up for her. :rolleyes: Apparently you can work a gazillion jobs on minimum wage, go to school and still have time for a baby.
    They make me so glad I dont live over there and grateful for our benefits system even if it gets abused. They cant say it stops girls getting pregnant because their teenage pregnancy rate is higher than ours

I loved Tyler and Caitlin during the first series but I see them growing apart as Caitlin hasn't got Tylers' drive for college so he's becoming hyper critical of her. I hope they stay together though.

:p I must be one of the few who likes Farrah. She's fiesty,ambitious and determined. Deb is a lousy mother who seems much needier than Farrah and I've loathed her since 16 & Pregnant, even though she dotes on Sophia, who is the cutest thing.
    Macy I've gone completely off, she's become a perrenial whiner, while what can you say about poor screwed up Amber? Like Janelle you wonder if they will ever get their life together. Chelsea annoys the hell out of me, while Leah is just desperate to be a Mum. The twins are cute though.
    I find the shows fascinating,even if I'm not MTV's demographic and the one thing it's taught me is thank God I dont live in America where, if you're poor, you're on your own and how!
    There are also the most stupid naive, idiotic girls in their teens, but I suspect those can be found all over the world. :D

Interesting reply, thanks.
    It still confuses me though, if they are getting paid something like $100,000 per season, why do they have jobs like waitress and pizza delivery boy.
    I understand that if they start living like celebrities the premise of the programme falls apart, but also I doubt they would agree to additional seasons if they weren’t able to spend the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Interesting reply, thanks.
    It still confuses me though, if they are getting paid something like $100,000 per season, why do they have jobs like waitress and pizza delivery boy.
    I understand that if they start living like celebrities the premise of the programme falls apart, but also I doubt they would agree to additional seasons if they weren’t able to spend the money.

It must go into trust until they're 21, Farrah drives a fancy car but her parents appear to have money (having a spare house for farrah to live in for example) Both Maci and Kyle, even Ryan all drives nice cars but again there parents dont seem short of a few quid, Cateylnn, Tyler, Gary & Amber all appear to struggle with money but so do there parents. I would imagine they get a small allowance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only surmising, but I think there has to be a trust fund arrangement or something. MTV wont reveal a thing, but after all if there were no babies there'd be no shows.

Wow! Just caught a clip on You Tube about Amber's earnings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYt4FFAFl48

:eek: That is serious moolah. I totally underestimated the amount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I'm only surmising, but I think there has to be a trust fund arrangement or something. MTV wont reveal a thing, but after all if there were no babies there'd be no shows.

Wow! Just caught a clip on You Tube about Amber's earnings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYt4FFAFl48

:eek: That is serious moolah. I totally underestimated the amount.

That is ridiculous :mad:
  • randomliserandomlise Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Hi I watch this show too! will be really sad when the original Teen Mom finishes for good! :(
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a fan. The ending to the show had no closure whatsoever. I'm pretty sure the show wouldn't have ended if Amber didn't go to jail.

I prefer Teen Mom 2, though. It's a lot more entertaining with the amount of drama in it!
    Forum Member
    Omg. Farrah as mum and the nail polish! :O I'd of gone spare if that has been my dog!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Omg. Farrah as mum and the nail polish! :O I'd of gone spare if that has been my dog!

Im sat watching this episode now :eek: as if letting Sofia nail painting the dog wasn't bad enough, her falling asleep whilst baby sitting a 2 year old - BAD GRANDPARENT!!

Initially I thought it was all Farrah but I'm starting to think her Mum is bonkers :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elmerfudd wrote: »
    Im sat watching this episode now :eek: as if letting Sofia nail painting the dog wasn't bad enough, her falling asleep whilst baby sitting a 2 year old - BAD GRANDPARENT!!

Initially I thought it was all Farrah but I'm starting to think her Mum is bonkers :confused:

I sort of agreed… but then Farrah was so angry by the way her mother acted when she babysat that she needed to go out for a meal with her sister, leaving her mum to babysit!!!
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Teen Mom! Catelynn and Tyler are my favourites :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought Debs was bonkers, unlike Kail's mother who gets my award for Worst Mother, ever. I can hardly stand to watch the selfish biatch who cares not a jot about either her daughter or Isaac.
    I thought how nice it was when Janet (Doofus Jo's mother) stepped up and became her surrogate Mum, but alas, you cant go screwing around Kail and think your baby daddy's Mother is still going to feel warm towards you.

Incidentally it seems Macey's split up with the long suffering Kyle as she wants Ryan back ( not a chance honey) and Chelsea's got her GED :eek:

I'm just going to watch this weeks episode because I find that unbelievable. How long has she been saying she'd get round to it? Her Dad must be over the moon. Now just kick Adam to kingdom come and maybe Chelsea will start to grow up. I'm not holding my breath. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    The original Teen Mom is my favourite. Catelynn and Tyler would have been the best parents ever, Butch and April - argh they make me so mad that they have had such a bad influence on their kids yet their kids are still more grown up than they are!

Amber - oh dear, she has the cutest kid and sooo many problems. I think being 'off-air' will actually do her the best lot of good.

Maci - Ahh I always hoped she'd get back with Ryan as much as I liked Kyle - I'm surprised he cheated though (Kyle) he didn't look like he had it in him. She did annoy me a bit, she loved to be the victim and though Ryan could be a pain in the ass, she didn't help matters like getting Bentley to phone him and say stuff that she dictated to Bentley (i.e. the birthday party invite!).

Farrah - Yikes, is her or Deb the more annoying?! I can't decide but one thing's for sure...like Mother like Daughter - watch out Sophia! (who is super cute!).

In Teen Mom 2 - I wish the one with twins (name escapes me) would get back with her baby Daddy (equally - name escapes me!) - no chance of that now she is on baby number 3! Janelle - she makes some daft decisions but thats another one with a whacky Momma too. I think both of them love Jace really though, he is another cute kid !

Find Chelsea boring really - she should listen to her Dad and move on from Adam who is a total loser! As for Kailyn I feel sorry for her as I always feel she is on her own, also makes bad decisiions but I think her heart is in the right place !

Don't watch TM3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TM3 hasn't aired yet, so you'd be a bit lucky to have watched it! :p

I knew it was too good to be true, Chelsea only passed her GED Practise test, not the real thing.

Leah cracks me up. She's on her 2nd marriage, 3rd baby but this week we see her accepted into Nursing College where the first priority seems to be friending her future husband on Facebook.

Fortunately he looks pretty OK, and most certainly isn't a "Redneck" clone of Corey. I thought the combat/camouflage wedding was one of the naffest I've seen. :)

Oh, Jenelle, Jenelle, Jenelle. For gawds sake grow up and think about that poor little kid not your own selfish desires and storming out whenever you dont get your way. He's going to be so scarred. :cry: She's pretty unbelievable, even for a 20 year old. :mad: