Cheap iPhone with bigger screen for developing countires

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the many iPhone rumours is that Apple may be going to release a cheaper version of the iPhone aimed at developing countries. It is rumoured to have a larger screen the the iPhone 5 which is way too small anyway. This would be a good move if its true. However its unlikely to see the light of day in Europe or North America as Apple wont wont to compromise their premium price structure.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/09/apple_low_cost_iphone_rumors/

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    One of the many iPhone rumours is that Apple may be going to release a cheaper version of the iPhone aimed at developing countries. It is rumoured to have a larger screen the the iPhone 5 which is way too small anyway. This would be a good move if its true. However its unlikely to see the light of day in Europe or North America as Apple wont wont to compromise their premium price structure.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/09/apple_low_cost_iphone_rumors/

It's going to be very difficult for apple to maintain their price structure and release a competitive product in developing countries.

they are already under pressure to release something in the phablet sector. it will be a very reasonable question 'why do you want me to pay 700 alans for my iPhone 5 when you're selling this bigger device for half the price'
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    It's going to be very difficult for apple to maintain their price structure and release a competitive product in developing countries.

Why ? Loads of manufactures do it all the time. Look at car prices for the same model across the global for example. Even microsoft have different versions of windows available for developing countries. Its crippled but much cheaper in china and india.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Why ? Loads of manufactures do it all the time. Look at car prices for the same model across the global for example. Even microsoft have different versions of windows available for developing countries. Its crippled but much cheaper in china and india.

They wont do it because it will impact their Premium Pricing structure. Investors wont be happy. A lot of their customers opting for a cheaper option would be bad for their share price.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the iPad Mini was a desperate attempt to compete with the Nexus 7, this 'low-cost iPhone' is just an embarrassing and desperate attempt to emulate the Nexus 4. Apple have run out of ideas.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Running out of ideas and time ... big changes afoot me thinks
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wont do it because it will impact their Premium Pricing structure. Investors wont be happy. A lot of their customers opting for a cheaper option would be bad for their share price.

I assume they will not sell them in their current premium markets. Things are difference prices all over the world.
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Like the iPad Mini was a desperate attempt to compete with the Nexus 7, this 'low-cost iPhone' is just an embarrassing and desperate attempt to emulate the Nexus 4. Apple have run out of ideas.

Do you think the mini has competed with the n7? The sales numbers should be available soon, it will be interesting to see how both get on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I assume they will not sell them in their current premium markets. Things are difference prices all over the world.

Do you think the mini has competed with the n7?
    The sales numbers should be available soon, it will be interesting to see how both get on.

Apple actually featured the Nexus 7 in their keynote. I think that says it all, that keynote dripped with desperation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple actually featured the Nexus 7 in their keynote. I think that says it all, that keynote dripped with desperation.

Samsung wrote a whole document comparing the iPhone with the galaxy s, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the question I asked.

How do you think sales will compare?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But not as different as Apple will need to make it to sell to developing countries.

It will really cheapen the brand and highlight just how much mark up apple actually do.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it will be a very reasonable question 'why do you want me to pay 700 alans for my iPhone 5 when you're selling this bigger device for half the price'

For the same reason you can buy a big bulky laptop at half the price of a small more powerful one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not as different as Apple will need to make it to sell to developing countries.

It will really cheapen the brand and highlight just how much mark up apple actually do.

I don't think that is true. I collect watches and have a very good understanding of the prices across the world. It does not affect the price in the uk and definately doesn't cheapen the brand.

I think the n7 has already demonstrated how much a phone is marked up and people are going out and paying £130 more for it, and that is just in this country:confused:
    Forum Member

IMO the iPad mini is much better than the N7 (I have both and rarely touch the N7 because the mini is so much nicer to use) This of course is only my opinion but I would hardly call the mini a desperate attempt. Also, not sure how you (or anyone) are qualified to make the second half of that comment when no one outside Apple even knows whether there will be such a device and secondly what it will look like.
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Running out of ideas and time ... big changes afoot me thinks

"Running out of ideas" - your opinion and a perfectly valid one, but running out of time ? How long do you think $125billion can keep Apple going. They could pay their salaries and overheads for the next 7 years even if they never sold another iDevice again. Ludicrous to suggest they are running out of time.
    Forum Member

Companies compare with the competition in their advertising all the time, Samsung are notorious for it. However, there is no doubt that the N7 is serious competition for the iPad mini, so Apple addressed it head on, perfectly reasonable thing to do.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    "Running out of ideas" - your opinion and a perfectly valid one, but running out of time ? How long do you think $125billion can keep Apple going. They could pay their salaries and overheads for the next 7 years even if they never sold another iDevice again. Ludicrous to suggest they are running out of time.

Lol, they certainly haven't run out of time with that cash!

But they do seem to have run out of ideas. Nothing has been released for 2 years suggesting anything otherwise.
    Forum Member
    The sales numbers should be available soon, it will be interesting to see how both get on.

Not sure they will. Apple are expected to announce a combined iPad figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, they certainly haven't run out of time with that cash!

But they do seem to have run out of ideas. Nothing has been released for 2 years suggesting anything otherwise.

Maybe they should follow samsung and release a phone with a bigger screen, a quad core processor and make it run slow, now that is innovation.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Maybe they should follow samsung and release a phone with a bigger screen, a quad core processor and make it run slow, now that is innovation.:rolleyes:

Oooh, I would hide quickly :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, I would hide quickly :)

I know. I'm only joking really, but I would love to know what people are calling innovation. Samsung currently seem to just make a phone bigger and people claim that is innovation.

I don't think there has been any great innovation since the early iPhones.
    Forum Member
    I know. I'm only joking really, but I would love to know what people are calling innovation. Samsung currently seem to just make a phone bigger and people claim that is innovation.

I don't think there has been any great innovation since the early iPhones.

Agreed, it's very difficult to see what further true revolution can be brought to the phone. The point about bigger phones is that it is also so much easier to up the specs, particularly battery life, and to use cheaper components as well. It is a fact that miniaturisation costs money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, it's very difficult to see what further true revolution can be brought to the phone. The point about bigger phones is that it is also so much easier to up the specs, particularly battery life, and to use cheaper components as well. It is a fact that miniaturisation costs money.

I see some possible innovation in screen and processor design to get better battery life, and then one major change would actually be an alternative battery technology, but I think that is a while off.
    Forum Member
    I see some possible innovation in screen and processor design to get better battery life, and then one major change would actually be an alternative battery technology, but I think that is a while off.

But even that's a bit meh. I already carry a spare battery for the odd occasion I need it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even that's a bit meh. I already carry a spare battery for the odd occasion I need it.

But if you could get a charge to last, say, 3 days, that would be cool.
    Forum Member
    But if you could get a charge to last, say, 3 days, that would be cool.

Yes but not revolutionary like the original iPhone was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe they should, as Samsung are obviously doing something right that Apple isn't. That's why the Galaxy S3 is the best selling smartphone in the world. :)