Spies of Warsaw (BBC 4)

LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did no one watch this, it was on today with David Tennant??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01psbj3

Comments

• the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was too much on tonight for me - have recorded it.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was just wondering why there was no thread for it. I enjoyed it very much though it was a bit distracting to have Owen from Torchwood in so many scenes with the Doctor!
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought maybe ppl didnt know about it since it was on BBC4, and i didnt see a thread here on about it :)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I *should have watched it, just not in the mood for proper TV tonight.
    I might download it off Iplayer.

* can't remember what it's about, but the title rings a bell, must have heard something about it and made a mental note to watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * can't remember what it's about, but the title rings a bell, must have heard something about it and made a mental note to watch it.

Basically, it's about spies in Warsaw! It was the first part of 2 this evening, part 2 is next Wednesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Pernille from The Killing 1 is in it as well as Tennant.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this, as a David Tennant fan. Excited to see TK's Pernille too!

However, I ended up turning it off, which is a rare ocurrence for me. DT was fine, as was Pernille, but the writing was dull and clunky and no amount of energetic acting can make up for that. They'd also chosen the tactic where anyone whose character was French got to speak in standard English, but everyone else had to put on an accent. This got very boring as not all the actors were convincing.

The story, after half an hour, had not engaged me. I didn't believe in the romance between DT's character and the woman in the lurid blue and pink satin dress (who chose those clothes??), so I don't think I'd be much bothered if the war split them up eventually.

'Restless' was much better, IMO.

YMMV. With any luck.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I was interested in this - is it repeated on BBC4?

However it seems odd just to have this for two episodes - you might assume 'Spies of Warsaw' would merit a long running series a bit like secret army.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    It's on BBC 4 next Monday at 10:45 pm. It's on BBC HD on Saturday at 11 pm.

I was watching Chelsea v Swansea and completely forgot it was on. Looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pernille was great but on the whole I found this so disappointing, especially compared with Restless (and I think the comparison is valid as both deal with WWII espionage). Janet Montgomery (the lead girl) really wasn't up to much and had no chemistry at all with David Tennant.

Very poor script - case in point the scene where he and her have just had a nice shag, after which she says something about finding a way to break it off with her boyfriend, and he responds "so you still haven't told him then?" - as if they would have got that far without discussing whether or not she had yet left her boyfriend to be with him! Terribly exposition-heavy dialogue throughout. The direction was decidedly unspectacular too. I felt like most of the Warsaw bits could've been filmed on a back lot at Pinewood for all we saw of the city, and we didn't see any exterior shots at all in Paris. Clearly done on the cheap.

Rant over!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    They'd also chosen the tactic where anyone whose character was French got to speak in standard English, but everyone else had to put on an accent. This got very boring as not all the actors were convincing.

David Tennant had to put on an English accent! I know I should be used to it after so many Dr Who episodes but it still sounds false to me sometimes - mostly when he uses a glottal stop.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    I found it dull, maybe it will get better but I just couldn't get up any interest in either the story or the characters.
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    David Tennant didn't seem right for role, and I kept expecting him to get his sonic screwdriver out.:(
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lennie wrote: »
    I thought maybe ppl didnt know about it since it was on BBC4, and i didnt see a thread here on about it :)
    I recorded it and haven't watched yet but if it's just a drama thing I won't really find it interesting. Was hoping it might have been factual documentary.

Personally I always check out both BBC3 and 4 as there are often interesting programmes on either channel.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    sandblast wrote: »
    It's on BBC 4 next Monday at 10:45 pm. It's on BBC HD on Saturday at 11 pm.

I was watching Chelsea v Swansea and completely forgot it was on. Looking forward to it.
    That's when I'll be watching or recording it.:)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this, as a David Tennant fan. Excited to see TK's Pernille too!

However, I ended up turning it off, which is a rare ocurrence for me. DT was fine, as was Pernille, but the writing was dull and clunky and no amount of energetic acting can make up for that. They'd also chosen the tactic where anyone whose character was French got to speak in standard English, but everyone else had to put on an accent. This got very boring as not all the actors were convincing.

The story, after half an hour, had not engaged me. I didn't believe in the romance between DT's character and the woman in the lurid blue and pink satin dress (who chose those clothes??), so I don't think I'd be much bothered if the war split them up eventually.

'Restless' was much better, IMO.

YMMV. With any luck.

Wow, if Restless was better this must have been abysmal!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, if Restless was better this must have been abysmal!

Just what I was going to say. I saw some of Restless but found it dull so this must be diabolical. Actually I did see a TV critic in The Times say that this series wasn't great in a preview the other day - might give it a miss seeing as I've got loads of other stuff to watch.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I guess we all understand the (usually huge) gulf between BBC1 drama and BBC2, but I haven't really given much thought to BBC4 ... only a third through this so far .... interesting enough.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised more people didn't enjoy this. I recorded it and thought I would give it a whirl and switch off if I didn't get engaged in it. (Basically, I like David Tennant.)

However, I watched it all the way through and found it very enjoyable. Definitely will be watching part 2 next week.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted Murray wrote: »
    David Tennant didn't seem right for role, and I kept expecting him to get his sonic screwdriver out.:(
    I'm pretty sure he did, didn't he? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was like an old fashioned spy-drama, the kind we used to love and watch in the 1970s/80s. I thought it was quite Le Carre like.

I will be eagerly awaiting the second episode.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the dialogue clunky and the lines seemed stilted. Although the time did fly by, so I must have found it engaging.
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he did, didn't he? :p

I didn't hear it, he must have had it on silent.:p

Ya pervert :eek:
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I felt it was a little too obviously by the numbers; action, intrigue, romance, action, romance, intrigue, repeat scene rotation until done. Agree with the clunky-type comments, both dialogue and acting. Did it need a strong second strand, or level (seemed terribly simple and linear)?

Plus - and this may not go down well with some - Mr Tennant may be a ill cast, and even a little stretched ... there, said it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    A very lovely soundtrack though, I must say. A kind of rainy day jazz vibe.

If the drama doesn't grip you, then the music surely will.