Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Fair point.. Although I would counter with no one cares about taking a phone to a gig to record it.

The 808 was dead in the water as soon as it was released it is the Sinclair c5 of phones ;)

You would be surprised. I've been to many gigs and constantly see people sticking their phones in the air trying to record the gig. Not that I'm saying a phone lacking the ability to record good vid/audio at a gig is a deal breaker, just useful to have I would say. Gigs, conferences, events, nights out, good to be able to record good quality sound and video in dim, low light situations.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Gigs, conferences, events, nights out, good to be able to record good quality sound and video in dim, low light situations.
    The 808 is a decent phone, everyone prioritises.

I actually quite liked the screen for its ultra bright view-abiity.
    I'd suggest the unique camera and the special mics in the HTC One make for one of the best all round phones going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The 808 is a decent phone, everyone prioritises.

I actually quite liked the screen for its ultra bright view-abiity.
    I'd suggest the unique camera and the special mics in the HTC One make for one of the best all round phones going.

I would say so, to have great audio quality and very good camera quality are top features for a good many people. Add to that the slick design, the high spec and great display, you would be hard pressed to find a better all round package. HTC are on to something but public perception of the brand or lack there of, is HTCs Achilles heel.

They really should have been bigging up their beats audio stuff and really milking it with the younger generation, or getting musicians on board to help promote. HTC just totally fail on the marketing side, where as Samsung, Apple got that wrapped up.

Anyways, enough about HTC, as this is a Samsung thread :D

But bottom line is, Samsung S4, HTC One, Nexus 4, Xperia Z, no one will be disappointed with those offerings, pros and cons on all, but they will all deliver a great experience out of the box and are all Android so can be tweaked to your hearts content.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Right, now i cant take anything you say seriously ever again!!

I'm sure everyone respects your opinion, because like you said the S3 is great an the Nexus 4 is crap, oh then you changed your mind and the Nexus 4 was great and the S3 was crap. Then you decided you were going back to the S3 as the Nexus had to many problems, then you got another Nexus 4, then you borrowed a iPhone 5,

Then your S3 had no problems, then it had too many problems, then your iPhone 4 had every problem ever, then your iPhone 4 was good but you didn't like iOS , then your iPhone 4 was useable and the screen was unfit for purpose. Then even your dad hated iOS and preferred android, then your dad loves iPhone no matter what you say, then video on your nexus 4 was the worst you've ever seen so you're going back to the S3, then the Nexus 4 is amazing you love pure android , then you're going back to Samsung with the S4,

You and Stuart H are quite literally a pair of comedians, an by he way no matter what you deny every thing I typed you have said, although the timeline/ order is out of sync , but you said it.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone respects your opinion...
    Infinitely more than yours.
    You and Stuart H are quite literally a pair of comedians...
    You're really in no position to pass judgement on others given your own behaviour and posting habits.
    Stiggles may not be perfect but at least he's not a troll.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I'm sure everyone respects your opinion, because like you said the S3 is great an the Nexus 4 is crap, oh then you changed your mind and the Nexus 4 was great and the S3 was crap. Then you decided you were going back to the S3 as the Nexus had to many problems, then you got another Nexus 4, then you borrowed a iPhone 5,

Uhm...i said absolutely none of that whatsoever.

What i did say to Tracey I have to say before you even joined (well done by the way!!) is i didnt fancy the N4 as i didnt like the look of it. Once i used the N4 i liked it. I borrowed an N4, not an iphone 5. Not very good at this lying are you :D Haha!!
    Then your S3 had no problems, then it had too many problems, then your iPhone 4 had every problem ever, then your iPhone 4 was good but you didn't like iOS , then your iPhone 4 was useable and the screen was unfit for purpose. Then even your dad hated iOS and preferred android, then your dad loves iPhone no matter what you say, then video on your nexus 4 was the worst you've ever seen so you're going back to the S3, then the Nexus 4 is amazing you love pure android , then you're going back to Samsung with the S4,

Yep, i thought it wasnt fit for MY purpose. The screen was awful which it is on the 4S. It was laggy, horrible to look at with row after row of icons but i can appreciate why people like it. I liked the camera on it. The audio was good as well on recordings.

I have also never said my dad hated iOS simply because hes such an apple whackjob its unfunny. SO, once again more lies. What i said was he was impressed with some features of Android but he would never switch.

The video on the N4 is absolutely bollocks. No getting away from that but, it can and has been fixed using some hacks. Yes, i will be getting the S4 because its what i like to do and i can afford to do so.

I've never mentioned i love pure Android, ever simply as i don't. I miss features i used from the S3. More lies.
    You and Stuart H are quite literally a pair of comedians, an by he way no matter what you deny every thing I typed you have said, although the timeline/ order is out of sync , but you said it.

No. What is funny is the lengths you go to to make up such nonsense. Well done though!!
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

No. What is funny is the lengths you go to to make up such nonsense. Well done though!!

What I think the problem is, is pethaps you come on drunk with your "bollocks this, bollocks that, everyones an Apple nut job" then the next day forget half of what you've typed an completely contradict yourself.

Just calm down an discuss phones, ok you don't get personal like Stuart h but you're still get far to wound up. An making up complete fairy tales to back your stories that you then forget you've told doesn't help.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that flirting again, get a room already :p
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I was thinking about an S4 and came to look for a discussion on it.......Can anyone put up a link to it please???

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...then the next day forget half of what you've typed an completely contradict yourself. .
    err ain't that is you Hugh_. ?A Pot, kettle thing?

I actually know what I'm getting so I do not see the contradiction there.

The personal stuff is getting quite lazy though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC are on to something but public perception of the brand or lack there of, is HTCs Achilles heel.
    Advertising is very difficult in the ever changing tech marketplace

The Marks and Spencers of this world seldom needed to advertise because they remain static.
    Its the brand not the tech people are regularly buying.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC are on to something but public perception of the brand or lack there of, is HTCs Achilles heel. HTC just totally fail on the marketing side, where as Samsung, Apple got that wrapped up.

There's a reason for that. HTC simply doesn't have the same amount of cash to play with like Apple/Samsung do. Don't you think if they had they would advertise the hell out of the HTC One? They just can't because they don't have the same marketing budget that allows Apple/Samsung to sell millions and millions of their products.

In fact, here's a link telling you just how much Samsung are spending on marketing the S4 - £20million!

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/24740/Samsung_marketing_blitz_with_20m_for_S_4.aspx
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Advertising is very difficult in the ever changing tech marketplace

The Marks and Spencers of this world seldom needed to advertise because they remain static.
    Its the brand not the tech people are regularly buying.

You are talking nonsense now, Marks and Spencer spend about £70,000,000 a year on advertising :rolleyes:, they are also not a global brand, so that's a significant amount to spend as they are primarily a UK company, with some interests in other countries.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this again. HTC's problems are not solely attributable to poor marketing, that's no even the main reason they don't sell.
    Their problem is that for 18 months they've been releasing handsets that simply didn't measure up to the competition in terms of specs, performance or reliability.

HTC could market the hell out of their handsets but that won't persuade customers who have been burned in the past to give them a second chance.

One of the Engadget writers tried peddling the same nonsense and the comments section was filled with people saying that marketing has nothing to do with their decision not to buy HTC.

Also, that £20m figure for the S4 sounds far too low.
    Forum Member
    What I think the problem is, is pethaps you come on drunk with your "bollocks this, bollocks that, everyones an Apple nut job" then the next day forget half of what you've typed an completely contradict yourself.

Just calm down an discuss phones, ok you don't get personal like Stuart h but you're still get far to wound up. An making up complete fairy tales to back your stories that you then forget you've told doesn't help.

Ignoring the rest of the post just like the other person did!! I wont tell anyone, but you dropped yourself right in it! :D
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I was thinking about an S4 and came to look for a discussion on it.......Can anyone put up a link to it please???

:rolleyes:

It's here apparently! :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »

Maybe that's just for the UK! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer NOW spend about £70,000,000 a year on advertising

Corrected for you. They moved more into high profile advertising campaigns.

I used the term 'needed'. Apple never needed to spend much either, not when others did and do it for them.
    And M & S spend about 1% on advertising, maybe quite low for high profit margins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Not this again. HTC's problems are not solely attributable to poor marketing, that's no even the main reason they don't sell.
    Their problem is that for 18 months they've been releasing handsets that simply didn't measure up to the competition in terms of specs, performance or reliability.

HTC could market the hell out of their handsets but that won't persuade customers who have been burned in the past to give them a second chance.

One of the Engadget writers tried peddling the same nonsense and the comments section was filled with people saying that marketing has nothing to do with their decision not to buy HTC.

What the hell are you on about?? :confused:

HTC Sensation/XE, HTC One X not good phones?? they have the same issues that other phones suffer from, nothing wrong with them. It so is the lack of marketing any one can see that. They fall short on this side of things. They used to have a slogan, "quietly brilliant". that doesn't help get the word across though does it.

They have come out a lot more with the HTC One, they realize this was their downfall, they had admitted it themselves. So not sure where you get your "facts" from, but you are dead wrong on that.

Not as though Samsung, or Apple phones don't have their fair share of "issues" is it? Doesn't stop them selling bucket loads of phones though.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    What the hell are you on about?? :confused:

HTC Sensation/XE, HTC One X not good phones?? they have the same issues that other phones suffer from, nothing wrong with them. It so is the lack of marketing any one can see that. They fall short on this side of things. They used to have a slogan, "quietly brilliant". that doesn't help get the word across though does it.

They have come out a lot more with the HTC One, they realize this was their downfall, they had admitted it themselves. So not sure where you get your "facts" from, but you are dead wrong on that.

Not as though Samsung, or Apple phones don't have their fair share of "issues" is it? Doesn't stop them selling bucket loads of phones though.

Not really true is it, HTC were the number one android maker without huge marketing and clearly ahead of samsung. From that position of power they did not push on. Following the desire/HD the next few phones were not of the same standard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Apple stopped suing HTC when HTC could not afford the lawyers bills.

"I've always hated litigation, and I continue to hate it," Cook said during Apple's second quarter earnings call in April. "We just want people to invent their own stuff."
    http://mashable.com/2012/11/11/apple-htc-patent/
    Yeh, right Tim.

Me, I can't decide which is now the best top end phone, the S4, the Z or the One.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not really true is it, HTC were the number one android maker without huge marketing and clearly ahead of samsung. From that position of power they did not push on. Following the desire/HD the next few phones were not of the same standard.

That's because HTC had Android phones before Samsung and all the rest moved to Android. They did well with the desire because people finally saw it as the only decent alternative to an iphone . When Samsung came into the picture they as a brand are a household name, HTC are not. Even now you can ask people and HTC doesn't really come into conversation its a Apple and Samsung because they are the big names the big brands that people know.

HTC do not get themselves about enough. and really undersold their line of very capable products.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    There are several reasons why HTC arent doing to well. Some of them have been mentioned. Another reason why they havent been doing to well, is the number of handsets they release and the naming convention is confusing.

Samsung and apple release a flagship phone, which lasts around a year. HTC bring out a handset and 6 months later bring out another one. No one wants their flagship phone ot be out of date in around 6 months. With the HTC One, HTC have said this is their flagship phone for the next year. However I dont think they have been vocal enough about it.

The naming convention is also very confusing.There is the HTC One, HTC One X, HTC One X+ HTC One XL. Just by looking at the names you would have no idea that the HTC One is their flagship phone, from the naming convention you would think it was bottom of the pile. Samsung (S2, S3, S4) and apple on the other hand (iphone 4, 4S, 5) make it very easy for the consumer. Far less confusion.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the reasons the recent HTC top end phones did not do as well was the lack of memory card slot and dare I say it replaceable battery. :D
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    deleted...