Under The Dome Season 1 - UK Pace

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Channel 5 have announced a start for Season 1 of the tv adaptation of the Stephen King book

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/08/channel-5-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-under-the-dome/

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might give this a go

I'm currently only watching one drama series a week (Falling Skies) and I like to have a couple at any one time

It did get panned a bit on DS though.........:o
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I will give this a go ill stick it on series link :)
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It did get panned a bit on DS though.........:o
    I don't take much notice of anyone else's opinion; especially anonymous people on the internet :) I will always watch something and make my own mind up.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the book very much so will certainly be giving this a go.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For thos who have been watching this at US pace, is this show any good? Worth watching?

Good plot? Acting? Suspense/drama?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    For thos who have been watching this at US pace, is this show any good? Worth watching?

What are your standards, exactly?:D I find it quite watchable, but I wouldn't give it high praise. I would put it on the same level as most of Channel 5's other US network imports, like Once Upon A Time, Person Of Interest, and The Mentalist.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plot - good; acting for the most part okay;

drama - well it's no stretch for the intellect but it's good fun. I'd say watch the first episode and judge on that, it hasn't got any better or worse seven episodes in

It's no Siberia, but considerably better than Falling Skies
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Plot - good; acting for the most part okay;

drama - well it's no stretch for the intellect but it's good fun. I'd say watch the first episode and judge on that, it hasn't got any better or worse seven episodes in

It's no Siberia, but considerably better than Falling Skies

I thought episodes 2 and 3 were a big step down from the pilot. I almost quit after the third ep. Episodes 4 through 7 have been a return to the pilot's form.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I thought episodes 2 and 3 were a big step down from the pilot. I almost quit after the third ep. Episodes 4 through 7 have been a return to the pilot's form.
    I agree with this.

Its an absolutely dreadful adaption of the book though...and it seems to have p!ssed off alot of book fans, the IMDB forum is like 100% negative towards it which is unusual.

I am enjoying it overall though..miles better then the falling skies trash
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I'll watch.....because I watch most things.

I know it's recently been renewed, but is there a set end-date for it? I thought it was originally meant to be a miniseries.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My impression is that it's less about the science/fiction of the dome, what caused it etc, and more about how people react to it. Most of the people being unlikeable nut-jobs who don't react like normal people would.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It reminded me a lot of Jericho. Some dubious science and some stories straight out of the "Big Book of Standard Sci-Fi Plots" but I found it to be entertaining, although some people on the US Pace thread seem to be watching it just so they can say how much they hate it. While I don't mind a bit of "hate-watch" TV myself, I don't think this is bad enough for that.

Don't watch if you like your sci-fi to be dark and serious but it is one of the best "cult" offerings from the US recently and much better than the dreary Falling Skies or Revolution.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll certainly watch the pilot and then see how it goes.

I rarely watch any US tv on Ch5 apart from The Mentalist so just wondered if this was a good acquisition from them but i'll give it a go. I did watch the last Stephen King adaptation they showed which for the life of me i can't remember the name of but know it starred Pierce Brosnan but wasn't very impressed at all. Hopefully this may be better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll certainly watch the pilot and then see how it goes.

I rarely watch any US tv on Ch5 apart from The Mentalist so just wondered if this was a good acquisition from them but i'll give it a go. I did watch the last Stephen King adaptation they showed which for the life of me i can't remember the name of but know it starred Pierce Brosnan but wasn't very impressed at all. Hopefully this may be better.
    Ya Bag of Bones was utter shite.
    And Under the dome is also utter shite when compared to the book.

But separating the two...I am enjoyed the series alot, but its not a patch on the book.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's the night for this one then. I'll give it a go....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm quite enjoying this really, it's not amazing or anything, but it's entertaining enough, and light years ahead of garbage like Revolution and Falling Skies. I'd agree that it dips a bit after the pilot and then gets better again around episode 4 or 5 though, so people might want to stick with it.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im also going to give this one a go, I like watching a bit of sci-fi at 10pm during the week
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starts tonight on channel 5 at 10pm , i have been watching it from America and am on episode 8 and i cant recommend it enough .

great series based on Stephen kings novel and produced by Steven speilbergs company .
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Aliens or the 'unexplained', right?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Dempster's not impressed over on The Guardian

Must admit I'm dubious about the premis - like The Event, Last Resort and Flash forward it can only really work as a set number of episodes but instead its open-ended. Thus one day the ratings will drop and so it will be cancelled and you'll never know what was going on:(
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show, I'm loving Dean Norris being on TV two consecutive nights at the moment.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    LOL The Event and Flashforward.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

Must admit I'm dubious about the premis - like The Event, Last Resort and Flash forward it can only really work as a set number of episodes but instead its open-ended. Thus one day the ratings will drop and so it will be cancelled and you'll never know what was going on:(

she knows nothing :p

she must have watched the pilot and made her mind up . she definitely hasn't based that on the entire series and if she has then the article is factually incorrect .
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

This! They have the book with a begining, middle and end to use as the source, but they'll spin it on endlessly until people lose interest and the ratings drop. I'm fed up with this happening, it's becoming harder and harder to start watching any show that isn't episodic stand alone storys.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts on C5 tonight it looks quite interesting, anyone watching? Also anyone know how well its done in the US, if its been cancelled i might not bother watching.