windows 8 and control panel

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a laptop with W7 and one with W8. I really miss no start button on the latest version, and wonder if anyone can help me to find the control panel. I will be returning this laptop, and get a second one with W7. Thanks. Also, how do you navigate away from a page when there is no x in the right hand corner? I use the windows button and go back into IE. I cant set the time on it - I just cannot stand W8. And I'm computer savvy!

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want to know if your returning it?
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want to know if your returning it?

Because if I can find an easier way of using W8, I may reconsider. I'm only asking if anyone can advise me. Is there anything wrong with wanting to absorb knowledge?
  • tigertiger Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W8 is a mess IMO, it's just auto updated and now I can't log in, even though I'm using the right password !!
    Re control panel i got to it by ckicking folder icon at the bottom of the panel screen, then pinned it to the panel perm.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Because if I can find an easier way of using W8, I may reconsider. I'm only asking if anyone can advise me. Is there anything wrong with wanting to absorb knowledge?

I have heard Classic Shell mentioned a few times on here.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Control Panel

3 options that I know of;

1. Type control panel on the start screen.

2. Right-click the start tip (the pop -up in the lower left where the start button used to be) and a menu pops up. One of the options is for control panel.

3. From the desktop, bring up the charms bar (mouse to the top or bottom right corners and move mouse away form the corner), click settings and then you get a list of options, including control panel.

Closing Metro-style Apps

1. Press Alt-F4 on the keyboard.

2. Bring up the switcher (same as how you bring up the charms, but on the left-hand side) right-click the apps you want to close and select close.

3. (touchscreen only) Drag down the screen, starting off the edge of the top bezel and continue dragging all the way off the bottom edge.

Set the Time

Same way as Windows 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

Start8 is another option for a start menu replacement;

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I've heard a lot of people prefer this over classic shell.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    I have a laptop with W7 and one with W8. I really miss no start button on the latest version, and wonder if anyone can help me to find the control panel. I will be returning this laptop, and get a second one with W7. Thanks. Also, how do you navigate away from a page when there is no x in the right hand corner? I use the windows button and go back into IE. I cant set the time on it - I just cannot stand W8. And I'm computer savvy!
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

Helbore wrote: »
    Start8 is another option for a start menu replacement;

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I've heard a lot of people prefer this over classic shell.

The answers are above.

I know Classic Shell is definitely freeware and ad-free, nag-free... is easy to install, and it works very well (I've used it for at least a couple of months and never go anywhere near the new Start Screen). It also separates apps from normal programs, so you can easily ignore all apps if you wish.

I haven't used Start8 but if you want to try that one, first make quite sure that it is also freeware, permanently ad-free and nag-free - because a commercial company makes it. It may be, this is just something for you to check on. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I haven't used Start8 but if you want to try that one, first make quite sure that it is also freeware, permanently ad-free and nag-free - because a commercial company makes it. It may be, this is just something for you to check on. ;)

It is not freeware. It costs $4.99, but has a 30-day trial.

I have no personal experience with it, but I've used Stardock software for customising Windows in the past and it was very good. I've heard other people say that Start8 blends into Windows 8 better and looks more like it is an actual part of the OS, rather than a 3rd party add-on.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic Shell definitely the best upgrade to Windows 8. :D

(other than just installing Windows 7, that is)
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, how do you navigate away from a page when there is no x in the right hand corner?
    I guess you're asking how to close a Metro app, in which case this might help:
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/28560/windows-8-four-ways-to-close-metro-apps
  • NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    To navigate away from a page, right click will bring up the address bar and tab bar. You can then close the tab or open a new one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I guess you're asking how to close a Metro app, in which case this might help:
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/28560/windows-8-four-ways-to-close-metro-apps

Someone's missing the boat here. You're not supposed to want to close apps, that's the entire point.

I suggest adjusting your attention span to around 30 seconds, you'll just leave the device alone and then pick it up at a random point in the future and your app will still be running, just as you want, without having to open it again.

Double-clicking is so old hat. ;)
  • NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Trouble is, you have to break the habit of a lifetime to 100% trust Windows to memory manage itself reliably. Luckily, W8 does!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant set the time on it
    Try this:
    http://www.faqforge.com/windows/correct-wrong-system-time-in-windows-8

On my two Win7's PC's, I often need to try two or three different time servers before I find one which works, and which one it is varies each time I do a time sync.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be returning this laptop, and get a second one with W7.

I would just do this as soon as possable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this tutorial which explains how to perform common operations in Metro. It seems quite useful:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/698273-modern-ui-start-screen-tutorial-microsoft-should-have-provided.html
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do, without needing the Start menu:

In Windows Explorer (ie where you see files) Click "computer" on the left, then the "computer" tab at the top (second from left after "file"), then "open control panel".

Right-click this and add it to the Quick Access Toolbar to make it available from any Explorer window with one click.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pinned everything I need to a taskbar on desktop, which is about 15 items. Done. Anything else I used to find by searching/typing in a start menu, so now I search in a start screen. Practically no difference.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    OP - If you stop trying to use it exactly as W7 and give it a chance by learning how to use it, you may grow to like it......I have...
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    It is not freeware. It costs $4.99, but has a 30-day trial.

I have no personal experience with it, but I've used Stardock software for customising Windows in the past and it was very good. I've heard other people say that Start8 blends into Windows 8 better and looks more like it is an actual part of the OS, rather than a 3rd party add-on.

In that case, I wouldn't go near Start 8 on principle, because it isn't free and it simply replaces essential functionality options that MS deliberately left out. It isn't better functionally than Classic Shell as the latter does it all. For those who think style is as important as functionality, perhaps it's worth considering but even then I wouldn't on principle pay for this kind of thing.

call100 wrote: »
    OP - If you stop trying to use it exactly as W7 and give it a chance by learning how to use it, you may grow to like it......I have...

I tried to. I failed.

I won't be trying again unless and until they take it out of its current stable alpha desktop release into something approaching at least a decent release candidate quality. I find it to be simply dreadful on my desktop (but I'm sure it's great on a tablet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    OP - If you stop trying to use it exactly as W7
    If I've read the initial post correctly, I don't think the OP was doing that. They reported having a screen with no close button, which implies they were in a Metro app (or possibly a conventional Windows EXE game which takes over the entire screen, but that seems unlikely).

IMHO the problem isn't trying to use it in W7 mode, that's easily fixed with Classic Shell or Start8 etc. The problem most people seem to be having is discovering how to do common operations in Metro mode as there are no visual clues and most things are hidden and far from obvious.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your replies. I did in fact manage to find my control panel yesterday evening by hovering around on the right of the screen and search was one of the options which came up. I clicked on it, and CP was a choice, so I managed to get into it. Trouble is, it's a bit hit and miss as to whether search, among the other options, comes up. I still prefer W7 , as sometimes when I want to close a page, I am not given the option to do so, and have to bring the desktop up, and open another IE. I did spend a few hours on it last night - in my experience, the best way to learn is just to play about with it yourself. That way, you learn where you are making mistakes, the faster way to find things, etc.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you know the name of what you are looking for, option, setting, programme, etc. it will come up in search. So if you can't locate something, open the search charm and search for it.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    If you know the name of what you are looking for, option, setting, programme, etc. it will come up in search. So if you can't locate something, open the search charm and search for it.
    Search doesn't work for Control Panel options like Power or Printers anymore though does it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Search doesn't work for Control Panel options like Power or Printers anymore though does it?

Yes, it does. It lists them separately, under settings.

If you look below the search box, there are a list of different areas you can search in; the defaults being apps, settings and files. Then any program that has search functionality is listed under them.

That way you can use search on any application that has search functionality from the one pane.