What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Planet of the Damned by Harry Harrison - a cracking story.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Pathfinder - Orson Scott Card
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    War Crimes for the Home- Liz Jensen
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started 'After the Fall' by Charity Norman

What do you do when your family's dream becomes a nightmare?

Should appeal to fans of Jodi Picoult, Anita Shreve, or Joanna Trollope ....

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White Nights by Ann Cleeves.
    Second in the Shetland Quartet; quite enjoyed the first, Raven Black so hopefully I'll find this one a good read.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Wonder by R J Palacio....you got to read this one. Can't put it down yet I don't want it to end!

Picking up Afterwards by Lupton again which I'm really struggling to get into.

I started this today and I'm halfway through already! haven't read much lately as I am doing a college course that takes up a lot of my spare time but this book has really got me back into reading!
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I'm still struggling through Wolf Hall (Hillary Mantel) in between reading other more enjoyable books, but I refuse to give up on it as it's not a library book, I actually paid full price for it. Don't think I'll be bothering with Bring Up the Bodies if this is anything to go by, I don't like her style of writing.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mel Sherratt- Taunting the dead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've embarked on a massive re-read of all Sophie Hannah's books having loved The Carrier. Little Face yesterday, now onto Hurting Distance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    This thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner. I think it's the last (#6) of the Quincy and Rainie series and I'll be sad to er, 'Say Goobye' to them. *probable tumbleweed moment....*

Anyway, the book itself is the usual gripping stuff, although this one is probably the darkest. It's also not the sort of book to read if you don't like spiders... :eek:
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I'm still struggling through Wolf Hall (Hillary Mantel) in between reading other more enjoyable books, but I refuse to give up on it as it's not a library book, I actually paid full price for it. Don't think I'll be bothering with Bring Up the Bodies if this is anything to go by, I don't like her style of writing.

It's funny how her narrative style splits opinion. I'm just past p.400 and am loving it!
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting tonight :)

'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Finished John Connolly's Wrath of Angels, new book in the Charlie Parker series. Loved it
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I've embarked on a massive re-read of all Sophie Hannah's books having loved The Carrier. Little Face yesterday, now onto Hurting Distance.

I love her books, they don't always get good reviews on Amazon but I have enjoyed all the ones I've read.:)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Diary of a Provincial Lesbian by V.G Lee.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished William Golding's Lord of the Flies .. Didn't like it . Can see why its seen amongst the classics .. but get me off the island .. NOW !

I am not avid either. Some of the descriptions are lovely. I have been unable to read it to the end, despite dipping into it for years.

There is something about it, that is off putting.

When I think about it, the word "avid" always makes me chuckle and think of Min tormenting poor Alf Garnett when she forces him to discuss a survey on deodorants. "That's the same as we are. Not avid." when she gets to the bit about television which has nothing to do with deodorant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I love her books, they don't always get good reviews on Amazon but I have enjoyed all the ones I've read.:)

Yeah I love them too. I've recently been speaking to her on Twitter and its inspired me to have a re-read as she is a lovely lady who is happy to engage with her readers.

Am now onto "The Point of Rescue" the third in the series :)
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning. I really enjoyed the first book in the series and hoping this one is just as engrossing.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still Standing, The Savage Years ---- Paul O'Grady
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Bo'ness To The Bernabeu - John McGovern
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just given up on A true haunting by Edwin F Becker,i was expecting to be scared to death after reading reviews but I found it just boring,maybe because fictional ghost stories I have read can be much scarier,i have now started Abiding evil by Alison Buck,which I have got into straight away.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, loved every minute of it, l always feel sad when l have enjoyed a book so much, to come to the end.:(
    Have to decide who next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Just finished Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, loved every minute of it, l always feel sad when l have enjoyed a book so much, to come to the end.:(
    Have to decide who next.

I adored this book, brillant read. I feel the same when a good book ends, its sad.