Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I just can't wait for the sequel now and hopefully we get to meet Peter Quill dad J-Son who I'm thinking Nathan Fillion would be great playing him!
    But Nathan was in Guardians already. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having just returned from seeing it I think it may now be my favourite Marvel film. :D
  • Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Best marvel film yet, can't wait to get it on DVD. It was just fantastic, was expecting it to be good but it still blew me away
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from this and thought it was, to quote Spaced 'a big pile of shite'.
    The first hour was just jibberish about blah blahs wanting some thingme thing, with decent actors like Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin turning up saying a line or two then vanishing for the rest of the film with no real explanation as to why they're there.
    Then the last part is a total CGI overload. Not even that great CGI either.
    Really disappointed, someone somewhere had compared it to Battle Beyond The Stars, not even close.
    Smashing soundtrack though.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    Just got back from this and thought it was, to quote Spaced 'a big pile of shite'.
    The first hour was just jibberish about blah blahs wanting some thingme thing, with decent actors like Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin turning up saying a line or two then vanishing for the rest of the film with no real explanation as to why they're there.
    Then the last part is a total CGI overload. Not even that great CGI either.
    Really disappointed, someone somewhere had compared it to Battle Beyond The Stars, not even close.
    Smashing soundtrack though.

Oh no, the alien space film doesn't use CGI does it ? :(

I don't understand why they can't just go out to space and film there. Recruit a few aliens instead of using blasted CGI to create them. They never look right.

But maybe I'm missing something here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Oh no, the alien space film doesn't use CGI does it ? :(

I don't understand why they can't just go out to space and film there. Recruit a few aliens instead of using blasted CGI to create them. They never look right.

But maybe I'm missing something here.

Well, while trying to be arsey, you have missed something, as I said there was a 'CGI Overload' in the last part of the film. Everything becomes CGI: building, spaceships, clouds, dust, water, weird purple swirly stuff. And none of it is convincingly done.
    As an example, the space battle at the end of Jedi from over 30 years ago still holds up. When they overuse cgi in films like this, because it's almost like a 'Jack of All Trades master of none' type thing, it looks piss poor fairly quickly.
    In this case, opening night.

And an overload of cgi is just part of what wrong with it.
    Although, and I cannot stress this enough, cracking soundtrack.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's opening weekend in the US is likely to be bigger than Captain America 2. And to think some misguided fool started a thread here suggesting that it would be a flop...
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Rather ironic if it turns out to be the highest-grossing 'Marvel' movie ever, as it's not based on well-known Marvel characters (unlike previous Marvel movies).
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, while trying to be arsey, you have missed something, as I said there was a 'CGI Overload' in the last part of the film. Everything becomes CGI: building, spaceships, clouds, dust, water, weird purple swirly stuff. And none of it is convincingly done.
    As an example, the space battle at the end of Jedi from over 30 years ago still holds up. When they overuse cgi in films like this, because it's almost like a 'Jack of All Trades master of none' type thing, it looks piss poor fairly quickly.
    In this case, opening night.

And an overload of cgi is just part of what wrong with it.
    Although, and I cannot stress this enough, cracking soundtrack.

If you all you picked up in the last hour was the CGI you kinda missed the point of the movie. It's has an irreverent style in contrast to the Superhero/Star Wars/LOTR pomposity.
    That's in the CGI as well as the soundtrack.

I thought the comeback post was quite witty actually.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's opening weekend in the US is likely to be bigger than Captain America 2. And to think some misguided fool started a thread here suggesting that it would be a flop...

And it's going up and up on the tomato meter all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    If you all you picked up in the last hour was the CGI you kinda missed the point of the movie. It's has an irreverent style in contrast to the Superhero/Star Wars/LOTR pomposity.

There wasn't really that much of a point to the movie to miss. Stop the ball getting into the wrong hands was pretty much it.
    But by the last hour I was feeling the will to live slowly drain away after all the jibberish of the first half. Was expecting Brolin or Del Toro to appear again and do stuff, and they didn't, which kind of made their scenes a bit pointless and as I said the overload of CGI.
    Really disappointing, as I was looking forward to it, so much so I went opening night rather than wait till the end of the month for it to show in the cheaper cinema for half the price. Frankly the people who have compared it favourably to the likes of Star Wars and Battle Beyond the Stars need stringing up. The only thing they have in common is being set in space, with people.
    Although the end credits scene with Del Toro and a 'guest' was probably the highlight of the film for me. That and the Jackson Pollock joke, very risque for a family film. And the soundtrack.

Also I've never picked up any pomposity in the Star Wars films. The Lord of the Rings films are obviously a bit more grown up based on the source, but I wouldnt say that makes them pompous. As for superhero films, the Nolan Batman films could be described as a tad pompous, but none of the Marvel ones I have seen seem to fall under that. The non Batman DC ones, Green Lantern Man of Steel, were too piss poor to be pompous.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So did I. The movie sounds like it pretty much follows the tone of the comic and it looks like most people who saw it enjoyed it.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wasn't really that much of a point to the movie to miss. Stop the ball getting into the wrong hands was pretty much it.

Substitute 'Ring' for 'Ball' and see what you get.
    But by the last hour I was feeling the will to live slowly drain away after all the jibberish of the first half. Was expecting Brolin or Del Toro to appear again and do stuff, and they didn't, which kind of made their scenes a bit pointless and as I said the overload of CGI.
    Really disappointing, as I was looking forward to it, so much so I went opening night rather than wait till the end of the month for it to show in the cheaper cinema for half the price. Frankly the people who have compared it favourably to the likes of Star Wars and Battle Beyond the Stars need stringing up. The only thing they have in common is being set in space, with people.

I would agree there are some concessions to the comic afficiandos ( i.e. They will get a bit more out of the movie). But I didn't think the movie disappointed at all.

I don't see why Star Wars can't be criticised, the last three movies have been hopeless in their story lines and weak on dialogue, something which an 'overload of cgi' has definitely not made up for. I'm not sure what you can expect from a flight of fantasy like Star Wars. I've always liked the irony of saying 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' when of course the ideas are all rooted in 30s and 40s Hollywood epics and adventure movies.

The point is that GOTG is irreverent towards these 'epic', self important movies. That's not to dish 'Star Wars' or LOTR which do have an underlying message but it's to balance perspective a little especially with the overwrought Superman, Batman, and Spiderman stuff.

That's in keeping with the style and tone of the comics. There's a 'B' movie ethic in there with the cgi.
    Although the end credits scene with Del Toro and a 'guest' was probably the highlight of the film for me. That and the Jackson Pollock joke, very risque for a family film. And the soundtrack.

Also I've never picked up any pomposity in the Star Wars films. The Lord of the Rings films are obviously a bit more grown up based on the source, but I wouldnt say that makes them pompous. As for superhero films, the Nolan Batman films could be described as a tad pompous, but none of the Marvel ones I have seen seem to fall under that. The non Batman DC ones, Green Lantern Man of Steel, were too piss poor to be pompous.

The pomposity in Star Wars is as a consequence of Lucas trying to suggest that an over the top adventure yarn is actually the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. He should have left off that.

LOTR is much richer source material than the movies show to be fair. And the self contained imaginary worlds which it suggests are well realised. It's isn't entirely pompous but often the movies over emphasise the need for war against the forces of evil. There was a bit more to the the underlying morality tale that LOTR is/was meant to be.

In their attempts to be 'real' many of movie realisations of the Marvel/DC worlds have tended to be over serious. It is comic book, flight of fancy stuff after all!

The Jackson Pollock references and the 70s and 80s music just let us know that not only is 'Star-Lord' a Terran but that all these superheroes are rooted in the human imagination.

In the end you don't have to like GOTG I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or for microfilm, nuclear missile, secret of the 39 steps, diamonds, list of CIA double agents, eternally white suit, Krieger Waves, crystal skulls, arc reactor, or indeed McGuffin. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would agree there are some concessions to the comic afficiandos ( i.e. They will get a bit more out of the movie). But I didn't think the movie disappointed at all.

I don't see why Star Wars can't be criticised, the last three movies have been hopeless in their story lines and weak on dialogue, something which an 'overload of cgi' has definitely not made up for. I'm not sure what you can expect from a flight of fantasy like Star Wars. I've always liked the irony of saying 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' when of course the ideas are all rooted in 30s and 40s Hollywood epics and adventure movies.

The point is that GOTG is irreverent towards these 'epic', self important movies. That's not to dish 'Star Wars' or LOTR which do have an underlying message but it's to balance perspective a little especially with the overwrought Superman, Batman, and Spiderman stuff.

That's in keeping with the style and tone of the comics. There's a 'B' movie ethic in there with the cgi.

The pomposity in Star Wars is as a consequence of Lucas trying to suggest that an over the top adventure yarn is actually the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. He should have left off that.

LOTR is much richer source material than the movies show to be fair. And the self contained imaginary worlds which it suggests are well realised. It's isn't entirely pompous but often the movies over emphasise the need for war against the forces of evil. There was a bit more to the the underlying morality tale that LOTR is/was meant to be.

In their attempts to be 'real' many of movie realisations of the Marvel/DC worlds have tended to be over serious. It is comic book, flight of fancy stuff after all!

The Jackson Pollock references and the 70s and 80s music just let us know that not only is 'Star-Lord' a Terran but that all these superheroes are rooted in the human imagination.

In the end you don't have to like GOTG I guess.

I wouldn't say that Star Wars is above criticism at all. The prequels are probably exhibit number one in any case for over use of CGI. They are also pretty poor. There's probably a really good film within the 3 of them.
    I just didn't see where the pomposity comes into it. I don't think Lucas wanting to tell a larger story, or saga, is pompous either. Unless he was trying to do it to show that ultimate evil lies within us all. That might have been pompous. Pompous and very wanky.

The last of these Superhero films I watched was Iron Man 3 which I thought was brilliant. It was pretty darn funny and, due to Shane Black, riffed on Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is no bad thing.
    I found Iron Man 2 to be rubbish, and showed signs of being rushed as it was only 2 years after the first one. The first one which I quite liked actually.
    Thor: I gave up on half way through. Captain America, I can't remember, and The Avengers was pretty dull. But, again I didn't find them pompous.
    They didn't impose like the Godfather does.
    I don't actually think the Godfather imposes by the way . It was just a quote from Family Guy that I remembered that seemed fitting.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going again tonight :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have a few mates who've already watched it twice and in IMAX too. :cool:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather ironic if it turns out to be the highest-grossing 'Marvel' movie ever, as it's not based on well-known Marvel characters (unlike previous Marvel movies).

Was thinking that too! I remember them popping up in other Marvel comic titles, like the equivalent of your 3rd cousin, twice removed! they always looked cool though. And that's what its all about really...!:blush:
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it yesterday at BFI IMAX Waterloo.

Absolutely loved it.

From the first scene where a sad-looking young boy sits in a hospital waiting room in 1988, playing a mix tape on a walkman and the strains of 10cc's I'm Not I Love start, I just settled back into my seat and just had a feeling that this was a film I am going to enjoy. You just had a feeling that they had got the tone of this just right.

Chris Pratt as Starlord/Peter Quill (the young boy mentioned above) is very funny, engaging and has that essential likeable quality. And I found pretty much all of the characters to be likeable and memorable...even the overly-hammy villains.

I really could not find anything bad to say about it...all of the characters of the Guardians stand out in their own way...from the Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket the Racoon, Vin Diesel's stoic but endearing Groot, who has few words but still manages to make a massive impact...Zoe Saldana's feisty Gamora...and Dave Bautista's uptight warrior Drax.

Each character is given just enough backstory to flesh them out just enough to make you warm to them and believe in them.

The plot is really secondary, and is not really what the film revolves around...it's just an object that they have to attain, but it's the character interaction that makes the film work. This is not the doom-laden, end-of-mankind-as-we-know-it, serious Marvel movies we have seen previously, this is the less-serious end of the franchise.

And above all, what this film has in spades is humour, much of it of the subtle, throwaway type, but very effective. If you are not laughing, you are usually smiling.

And yet it is also a decent sci-fi epic in it's own right, the effects are very good, the realisation of the various worlds, spaceships and alien races is excellent.

The 80's mix tape mentioned before figures prominently in the film, and is used at precisely the right moment...would e a shame to spoil it any further.

And it has probably two of the best after credits sequences ever...one involving Groot and Drax, and the final one after the credits that is just...well, suffice to say if we get a movie about...that...it could be awesome...and hopefully hugely funny as well.
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it this afternoon. I'd been getting increasingly excited about this movie for the last few months and it lived up to all my expectations. Absolutely brilliant! :D
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a great movie, wonderful to look at and a great cast, the 3D was done well too. In saying that, will Marvel ever do a villain right?
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it just as much the second time :)
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    I thought it was a great movie, wonderful to look at and a great cast, the 3D was done well too. In saying that, will Marvel ever do a villain right?

That, unfortunately, is the downside with the light, fun tone of this universe. You're never gonna get a Joker-like antagonist because it would be highly inappropriate. Thankfully, this is compensated with its awesome heroes.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I agree but maybe we will get a different type of villian in the Guardians sequel as I think from the hint in the film that it might be Peter Quill father that is introduced in that film.In the comics his father isn't the nicest person so it could be an interesting relationship to explore in the second film with Peter meeting his father and discovering what he is really like!
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $37,800,000 opening day gross in America, that's higher than Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past opening day gross. Couple that with excellent reviews and word of mouth this could easily do well over $100 million by Sunday.