Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone miss the first generation ?

Memory's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMi_itzgFs

Comments

• SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    i started watching the second generation, watching the 1st gen atm, it's alright
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    The second generation started sixth form the same year as me, so I always felt more affinity with them.

Until the ridiculous final episode, that is.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I like all of them for different reasons. I liked Generation 3 but thought the plots and screen time was boring and very unbalanced.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generation two was my favourite so I'm glad S7 is mostly them coming back. I felt they had the most depth. Generation 3 was awful and Generation 1 was really good but at times the characters weren't three dimensional enough.

Overall a very good show though. Four (hopefully five) good series out of seven isn't a bad track record.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generation 1 was the best, 2 was ok, 3 was awful. IMO, of course. Probably had a lot to do with the age I was when it was all broadcast, though.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st gen is my favourite, I watched the 2nd gen first and liked it enough to go back and watch the first two series, I was suprised at how much I liked it more than the 2nd gen. I don't know, it just felt better written and I loved the relationship between Sid and Tony, that to me was the making of that gen and the big love story (in a platonic way).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me I thought Generation 2 was better written. I felt for the characters more.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me I thought Generation 2 was better written. I felt for the characters more.

I guess it all comes down to which characters you relate to the most. If I were to put my objective glasses on, i'd say series 1-3 were on parr quality wise. With series 4 being a bit less so, I didn't really like the way they dealt with Effy's mental problem, or the fallout from the girl that died in the first episode. But that's just how I felt about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I guess it all comes down to which characters you relate to the most. If I were to put my objective glasses on, i'd say series 1-3 were on parr quality wise. With series 4 being a bit less so, I didn't really like the way they dealt with Effy's mental problem, or the fallout from the girl that died in the first episode. But that's just how I felt about it.

It is down to personal taste. But looking at it objectively most of it was on par with 1-3. One of the episodes (Emily's) actually got the writer a BAFTA nom. Which isn't something any other single episode or writer has ever had on the show. It was only three episodes from the middle of series 4 that weren't up to standard. I agree with you about how they handled Effy's mental illness. The rest of it was well written though. And it was the highest rated series so far in the show. So it was doing something right to keep the viewers around.

Some of the same things can be said about series 2, some of those episodes were below par too. Tony's was awful. And the ratings had actually started to drop by the end for Generation 1. But overall 1-4 are really good. It's a shame that almost all of series 5-6 wasn't close to the same quality, and it's ratings showed it. I hope Skins redux goes back to the it's old quality and gets rid of the bad image left from Generation 3.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I loved Nick Hoult and Sean Teale who played Tony and Nick Levan

I think the sex scenes were never that bad as the media made out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The more I think about Sid not appearing, the less I'm sure I want to watch Cassie's episode. Mike Bailey said he just gave an interview about Skins, and that it had been a long time. It reminded me of just how perfect that moment was in New York when Sid and Cassie almost saw each other, and left the audience almost certain that they had. It also made it pretty clear (as do his twitter jokes about being a guy with a regular job) that he's not going to be in series 7. (OK, I was hoping for a surprise).

Maybe Cassie says something about Sid, or gives some other sense of what happened between them. But Cassie with none of the other characters, while it does fit her character, leaves something of a dramatic hole, or undoes a great dramatic moment.

I read someplace that in Cook's episode we'll find out about what happened that night at Dr. Foster's, so at least Cook has some tie back to his series. And of course Effy has Naomi and Emily with her. And what looks like impending doom, as someone said earlier.

One of my big problems with the third generation was that it had no connection to the other two, except the headmaster, who was a last-minute addition. The crossover of Panda and Effy gave the first two generations a connection, but still let them stand alone. And having siblings and siblings' friends at the same college makes sense, I think. Maybe people drift apart over time, but unless what I'm reading is wrong, they could have done something to show that the different characters and different generations still had some sort of links. (As they did in Gen2 when they made references to Anwar, and Tony, was it?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianbennett wrote: »
    The more I think about Sid not appearing, the less I'm sure I want to watch Cassie's episode. Mike Bailey said he just gave an interview about Skins, and that it had been a long time. It reminded me of just how perfect that moment was in New York when Sid and Cassie almost saw each other, and left the audience almost certain that they had. It also made it pretty clear (as do his twitter jokes about being a guy with a regular job) that he's not going to be in series 7. (OK, I was hoping for a surprise).

Maybe Cassie says something about Sid, or gives some other sense of what happened between them. But Cassie with none of the other characters, while it does fit her character, leaves something of a dramatic hole, or undoes a great dramatic moment.

I read someplace that in Cook's episode we'll find out about what happened that night at Dr. Foster's, so at least Cook has some tie back to his series. And of course Effy has Naomi and Emily with her. And what looks like impending doom, as someone said earlier.

One of my big problems with the third generation was that it had no connection to the other two, except the headmaster, who was a last-minute addition. The crossover of Panda and Effy gave the first two generations a connection, but still let them stand alone. And having siblings and siblings' friends at the same college makes sense, I think. Maybe people drift apart over time, but unless what I'm reading is wrong, they could have done something to show that the different characters and different generations still had some sort of links. (As they did in Gen2 when they made references to Anwar, and Tony, was it?)

The writers confirmed months ago Sid wouldn't be in Pure. The five cast announced as returning really are all that will appear. Though they have said another past guest character will be in one of the specials but they're staying tight lipped on who it is or which one it will be.

You will get an answer on whether Sid found Cassie, that's been confirmed. And they have said he may not be in it but his presence is felt. So he probably did find her or had since as it wouldn't be hard for each of the them to track the other down through social media or old friends. Sadly it just seems like they didn't work out. Which wasn't that unrealistic considering their relationship was dysfunctional. I say this as someone who was a big fan of theirs and had hoped to see them both back in Pure.

Fire doesn't look like impending doom. That looks the most likely to end on the happier note for it's characters going by bits of information floating around. We know one of them is involved in a tragedy but most people aren't expecting anyone to die in it. And Effy sounds like she could potentially end it triumphantly. We'll have to wait and see though if that's the case.

Rise is the one that is most likely to be the melodramatic one based on it's plot. It sounds violent. And as for connections they have said they will be mentioning some of the old characters. Though not all but there will be connections to their past. This is meant to show the characters out on their own in their adult lives after college. It's meant to be different in style and tone. It's not Skins as you knew it.
    Forum Member
    I hadn't heard about the surprise appearance. That's pretty exciting. I knew the shows weren't supposed to be like the original program, but it sounds like a much better balance than I expected between showing the characters grow up and giving the audience some idea what happened to their relationship with their old friends.

I agree that as much as I loved Sid and Cassie together, it was a terrible relationship for both of them. So it's probably better that they're not together, but it's good to know that he has some influence on her life.

Not surprising, I suppose that Cook looks headed for violence. I suppose in Effy's case, with the right advice she could work her way out of a touch situation.

My quess about the special appearance: Maxxie, who's in London with his great big new muscles, plays bodyguard to Effy. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't heard about the surprise appearance. That's pretty exciting. I knew the shows weren't supposed to be like the original program, but it sounds like a much better balance than I expected between showing the characters grow up and giving the audience some idea what happened to their relationship with their old friends.

I agree that as much as I loved Sid and Cassie together, it was a terrible relationship for both of them. So it's probably better that they're not together, but it's good to know that he has some influence on her life.

Not surprising, I suppose that Cook looks headed for violence. I suppose in Effy's case, with the right advice she could work her way out of a touch situation.

My quess about the special appearance: Maxxie, who's in London with his great big new muscles, plays bodyguard to Effy. ;-)

It sounds like Sid will influence Cassie's life somehow in Pure. Whether in a good or bad way I don't know. The synopsis says she's lonely and a spoiler from a cast interview has revealed...
    she has a stalker called Jakob played by Olly Alexander. Who I think is the one she forms the friendship with that was also mentioned in the synopsis

Cook's episode has been likened to the movie Drive. And all have been said to be dark and adult dramas. Lara Pulver said on the Fire plot in an interview from a few months ago that...
    Her character Victoria and Effy stop being rivals and team up to throw a coup at the finance company they both work at.

Also crew information revealed Naomi ends up in hospital. Unknown how it happens.

That's why I have a feeling it will end triumphantly for Effy, at least on a professional level. On a personal level I think we'll just see her let go of the past with Freddie's death and she'll be more at peace within herself emotionally. I reckon Naomily's relationship will be fine and they'll weather whatever drama their characters get.

No, it won't be any main cast who is the surprise appearance. It will be someone who previously had a guest spot role in a past series. Katie has been confirmed as being a character who'll get talked about and you'd assume Tony and Freddie will also be. The writers did say they won't answer every loose end left by the past series and that some characters whereabouts and lives will be left up to the viewers imagination. So there will be connections but not heavy ones. Just enough to tie the old series to the latest one. As for the three sets of film like episodes they won't be connected to each other, so beyond Cook and Effy probably mentioning each other, they and Cassie are living separate lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That show sure messed with my head.
    Forum Member
    It sounds like Sid will influence Cassie's life somehow in Pure. Whether in a good or bad way I don't know. The synopsis says she's lonely

With Sid and Cassie, the writers had a lot of options, both good and bad. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take. It's not a surprise that Cassie finds herself lonely, and even less of a surprise that Cassie of all people might make questionable decisions.

That's why I have a feeling it will end triumphantly for Effy, at least on a professional level. On a personal level I think we'll just see her let go of the past with Freddie's death and she'll be more at peace within herself emotionally. I reckon Naomily's relationship will be fine and they'll weather whatever drama their characters get.

Given what you described, I can see Effy coming out on top professionally. She does have a certain manipulative ability with people, and while we've seen her down, we've seen her get her way. Freddie's death is something that just takes time, so while it will always hurt, I think she should be able to start getting past it. As for Naomily, they always yell at each other and then wind up happy in bed. :-)

No, it won't be any main cast who is the surprise appearance. It will be someone who previously had a guest spot role in a past series.

I was kidding about Maxxie because of Mitch Hewer's muscles. He couldn't play Maxxie now. (And he was told to lose some muscle if he wanted to get cast in Hollywood. That was a few months ago. Not sure what he's up to now.)
    The writers did say they won't answer every loose end left by the past series and that some characters whereabouts and lives will be left up to the viewers imagination. So there will be connections but not heavy ones. Just enough to tie the old series to the latest one.

Answering every last question would be boring, I agree. As long as they address the major remaining points, I'll be happy. In fact, if it weren't for "Pure", I wouldn't want them to address Sid and Cassie at all. Sometimes it's better to leave things where they were.
    As for the three sets of film like episodes they won't be connected to each other, so beyond Cook and Effy probably mentioning each other, they and Cassie are living separate lives.

They can't win with me on this one. If everyone isn't connected to each other and accounted for in the films, I'll complain. If they go out of their way to connect everyone and create a bunch of contrived stories to keep them together, I'll complain. They should just do what they think will work and not worry about me. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Sid and Cassie, the writers had a lot of options, both good and bad. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take. It's not a surprise that Cassie finds herself lonely, and even less of a surprise that Cassie of all people might make questionable decisions.

The plot does seem to fit her character.

Given what you described, I can see Effy coming out on top professionally. She does have a certain manipulative ability with people, and while we've seen her down, we've seen her get her way. Freddie's death is something that just takes time, so while it will always hurt, I think she should be able to start getting past it. As for Naomily, they always yell at each other and then wind up happy in bed. :-)

I think after S4 ended on a quiet and bittersweet note for Effy that they'll want her ending this time to be something bigger. Naomily don't appear be to having any kind of relationship issues this time. From info floating around they appear to be a normal couple who are dealing with everyday kinds of drama brought on by life. And their careers or lack of. That is why I think they'll be fine so long as they can get past the spoiler part. They are only secondary characters to Effy's main plot, there isn't realistically time for them to have a massive subplot about their relationship. Any issues they had were already resolved in S4.

I was kidding about Maxxie because of Mitch Hewer's muscles. He couldn't play Maxxie now. (And he was told to lose some muscle if he wanted to get cast in Hollywood. That was a few months ago. Not sure what he's up to now.)

He recently filmed a comedy movie.

Answering every last question would be boring, I agree. As long as they address the major remaining points, I'll be happy. In fact, if it weren't for "Pure", I wouldn't want them to address Sid and Cassie at all. Sometimes it's better to leave things where they were.

I'm sure any loose ends in regards to the returning characters will be mostly or completely wrapped up. I'd assume the ones for most other characters would be left as they were. I think they will address Sid and Cassie they have two episodes to fill for her character.

They can't win with me on this one. If everyone isn't connected to each other and accounted for in the films, I'll complain. If they go out of their way to connect everyone and create a bunch of contrived stories to keep them together, I'll complain. They should just do what they think will work and not worry about me. :D

I think it's better not to connect the storylines. I quite like the idea of seeing the characters in their own little bubbles. It allows for neater writing if they can conclude things at the end of every two-parter.
    Forum Member
    According to IMDb, it looks like Mitch Hewer just filmed two movies. Good for him! Glad his career is coming along!