Connect Netgear -> Homehub wirelessly.

Hi again!

Dont know if this can be achieved - I think the idea is mooted in the main BT Homehub thread, which I followed but it didnt work.

In my room, I have an XBOX360 and also a Homeplug system which connects via Ethernet for another device in another room.

The HomeHub is connected downstairs (for speed issues) - but I need to connect those 2 ethernet devices in my room upstairs. I have my old Netgear DG834 wireless router which I would like to use as a switch... so......

Can I connect the Netgear in my room, to the Homehub downstairs wirelessly, meaning that the Netgear in the room can see the net and hence share broadband with other ethernet devices in my room.

Does that make sense!?

The main problem when I followed the advice in the other thread, is that I dont know how to make the netgear see the Homehub to pick up the Broadband signal.

Thanks if you can make any sense of this and help out!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    what you need to do i think is in your homehub settings you need to give your network a name ( ssid)

then in your http://192.168.0.1 netgear you have to give your netgear the same name, channel frequency and make your homehub, netgear and 360 have wpa-psk with same password
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    what you need to do i think is in your homehub settings you need to give your network a name ( ssid)

then in your http://192.168.0.1 netgear you have to give your netgear the same name, channel frequency and make your homehub, netgear and 360 have wpa-psk with same password

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the ideas. Tried this and still nothing.

Not sure what I should see from the Netgear, but have no wireless light flashing on the front and no connections showing within the 192.168.0.1 control panel?

Any other ideas? Does anything need a static IP or anything?

Thanks, Paul.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    having looked about i dont think it will work, you would need to get a range extender. annoying i know. could you not buy more homeplug devices?
    Forum Member
    having looked about i dont think it will work, you would need to get a range extender. annoying i know. could you not buy more homeplug devices?

Yea, could do - but dont really want to if I can help it!

In theory, I'd be sure you could use the Netgear as a wireless switch, but I just dont know how to do it!

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    UPDATE:

After doing some more research, I think this could be possible. There is an option in the HomeHub to connect to a 'Repeater' to extend the wireless network.

I set my Netgear up again and went through the Repeater settings in the HH and the HH now sees (and connects) the my Netgear router in my room upstairs.

I set the Netgear up with the settings in this and the other thread, but the wireless lights on the Netgear still do not flash and after connecting my 360 to the Netgear, I cannot connect the 360 to Live.

Anyone know how to configure the Netgear to be a repeater and 'talk' to the HomeHub please?

Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Try setting your netgear to a fixed IP address in the range 192.168.1.*** where *** is between 64 and 253. Also, dumb down the netgear so that it is acting as a simple switch rather than a router, i.e. no DHCP serving and no NAT.

I've done this using a Belkin WAP to an old DG814 and it works a treat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no way of linking the netgear to the homehub by means of a wireless connection. The dg834 does not support WDS
    WDS (Wireless Distribution System) is a system for extending wireless range or bridging between two network segments wirelessly, where a wired link cannot be installed (for example across a road between two offices).

Can you not use the homeplu system to connect the Homehub to the Netgear. If this was located near one of the machines upstairs then you would just need to add a patch cable from the Netgear to the device.

If this does work then you need to connect the two devices together as follows.

You can link the netgear to the HomeHub if you really want to.

Do this before you connect the netgear to the home hub.
    It may be a good idea to downpower or disable the wifi on your HH. I'd recommend that you connect to the netgear with an ethernet cable rather than the Wifi for now.

Go to you http://www.routerlogin.com/
    login,
    under Advanced section, you should see LAN IP Setup

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address ... (enter Netgear IP address 192.168.*.*)
    IP Subnet Mask (enter same subnet as on HH 255.255.255.0)
    RIP Direction
    RIP Version (Set to Both, so it allows a Router to exchange routing information with other Router)

Use Router as DHCP Server (Un-tick)
    Starting IP Address ... (this will be greyed out)
    Ending IP Address ... (this will be greyed out)

Click Apply, Its a good idea to save a copy of your router settings before you change anything.
    And save the settings again when you make the changes as under another file name.

Now you can only get a wireless connection Via your netgear when its connected to the Home Hub. A DHCP server issues an IP address to any connected devices, so if the HH is not powered up and conneted to the Netgear. Despite the fact you will be able to see the Wireless SSID.