Karen Carpenter

Comments

• BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duh ! Ever wished you'd not said something ? :rolleyes:

Feel i should make one thing clear - I'm a huge fan of The Carpenters' music (if anyone here has the 1998 Complete Guide To the Music Of The Carpenters by John Tobler, I did the basic text for that, which entailed listening to everything they'd released by then) and especially Karen's voice: not trying to run them down in any way, but when I was in LA during the late 80s doing interviews for my Beach Boys researches, I met a good many folk in the music industry, and we didn't talk BB all the time.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another request for the PM if possible, please.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Duh ! Ever wished you'd not said something ? :rolleyes:

Feel i should make one thing clear - I'm a huge fan of The Carpenters' music (if anyone here has the 1998 Complete Guide To the Music Of The Carpenters by John Tobler, I did the basic text for that, which entailed listening to everything they'd released by then) and especially Karen's voice: not trying to run them down in any way, but when I was in LA during the late 80s doing interviews for my Beach Boys researches, I met a good many folk in the music industry, and we didn't talk BB all the time.

Yet you carry on doing it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to explain exactly where I've in anyway run down The Carpenters ? Richard's problem with Quaaludes is detailed in Ray Coleman's book, with the family's approval, as is Karen's anorexia and misuse of ipecac and other meds. Compared to the excesses of, say, Led Zepplin, Guns & Roses or David Crosby, this is very minor league stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Yet you carry on doing it...

This!!

You can't make a comment leading people to believe that anorexia wasn't what caused Karen's death but something darker and more mysterious, but not actually saying what did and expect people not to ask for further info on a pm etc!! If you don't want to pass on the info, post saying you don't want to, not that you wish you hadn't said anything in the first place, then giving even more cryptic info to people!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone asked me for a PM, they got it: as for my saying I was in LA interviewing BB-related bods back in the late 80s and that occasionally we talked about other matters - that's cryptic ?

Cryptic - having a meaning that is mysterious or obscure.

Care to show me the mysterious or obscure part of that ?

BTW - "leading people to believe that anorexia wasn't what caused Karen's death". It didn't - she died of a heart attack, or heart failure, to which anorexia was a contributory factor.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone asked me for a PM, they got it: as for my saying I was in LA interviewing BB-related bods back in the late 80s and that occasionally we talked about other matters - that's cryptic ?

BTW - "leading people to believe that anorexia wasn't what caused Karen's death". It didn't - she died of a heart attack, or heart failure, to which anorexia was a contributory factor.

can you PM me please?:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her misuse of ipecac was noted in Ray Coleman's book on the band (it's a very good one), and as with the anorexia, it didn't help, as it weakened further a system already in poor shape. But no, not what I was alluding to.

I'm fascinated by what you might be alluding to. Can I have a PM as well, please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's exceptionally common knowledge that her cause of death was heart failure with Anorexia being THE major contributory factor. In the same way as internal bleeding can be a cause of death after you've been run over. Mainly, people are going to say that being run over is what killed you!!!!

You're post alluded to an alternate cause of death, that no one knows about and is hush hush!!! If that was what you were alluding to, then I don't think you would only need to speak to a certain few people in LA!!

As for cryptic, well come on....you're making comments in a 'nod nod wink wink' kind of fashion 'well we didn't only speak about the Beach Boys'...the implication is that you spoke about something else (obviously Karen or why put it in this thread) and that it was good info else you would just post it on up!!! Either you have something to say that isn't common knowledge or you don't, and if you do, nae bather, but don't make comments alluding to the same and then make comments wishing you'd never said anything, when in fact it's the only possible reason you could have made the comments in the way you did in the first place!!!
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    It's exceptionally common knowledge that her cause of death was heart failure with Anorexia being THE major contributory factor. In the same way as internal bleeding can be a cause of death after you've been run over. Mainly, people are going to say that being run over is what killed you!!!!

You're post alluded to an alternate cause of death, that no one knows about and is hush hush!!! If that was what you were alluding to, then I don't think you would only need to speak to a certain few people in LA!!

As for cryptic, well come on....you're making comments in a 'nod nod wink wink' kind of fashion 'well we didn't only speak about the Beach Boys'...the implication is that you spoke about something else (obviously Karen or why put it in this thread) and that it was good info else you would just post it on up!!! Either you have something to say that isn't common knowledge or you don't, and if you do, nae bather, but don't make comments alluding to the same and then make comments wishing you'd never said anything, when in fact it's the only possible reason you could have made the comments in the way you did in the first place!!!

Well said!
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite like a PM too!!!

As to the story - I always felt there was something cold and weird about the brother and have had the nagging feeling of something inappropriate between him and Karen. Of course, that doesn't mean it was him wanting her - if she was obsessed with him it could explain his discomfort and the feeling a lot of us have when watching him that there' ssomething hidden he doesn't want to talk about.
  • super bantamssuper bantams Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got all the hype about Karen Carpenter, to me she was dull and had no personality, how could you possibly compare here with the likes of Dusty Springfield? She was an OK singer but so are lots more, she was dull
  • MollieMMollieM Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Can you PM me too please!
  • lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member

I didn't :(
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be possible for someone to send me a pm also? Only if it's not a bother. :o
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got all the hype about Karen Carpenter, to me she was dull and had no personality, how could you possibly compare here with the likes of Dusty Springfield? She was an OK singer but so are lots more, she was dull

They were completely different styles of singers so it is like comparing Apples and Oranges. As was said on the programme, you only had to hear a couple of notes from Karen Carpenter and you knew it was jer, no one has ever matched her sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping on the bandwagon here, but can you PM me too please? Thanks.
  • ThisIsSannyCThisIsSannyC Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I don't even know where I am, can I have a PM too?
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have this PM as well please :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't libel the dead, why not just post 'the mysterious circumstances' here on the thread?
  • crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Braintree wrote: »
    You can't libel the dead, why not just post 'the mysterious circumstances' here on the thread?

I asked for a PM and never got one :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Perdita_x wrote: »

I think Bellagio made their initial comment before others alluded to the misuse of ipecac....I can think of a few other drugs that would suppress your appetite...and they are the obvious contenders....Bolivian marching powder being one...I hasten to add that I have no idea if this is the case....and if I`am honest I don`t really care......as it does`t matter anymore.
  • lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    crunchie wrote: »

Me neither:cry:
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »

Nor me :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I thought this was an interesting article about Karen's anorexia and about the film they made - I don't know if it's true and I haven't read the book, but thought I'd share:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-real-reason-karen-carpenter-was-driven-to-anorexia-2440030.html