tulia the female boss great album

sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
anyone else agree it didn't deserve to flop seems like tulisas management didn't promote it properly.
apart from sight of you on x factor seems such a shame.
that all those great songs were recorded at least 2 or 3 more hit singles seems a shame that there's no more promotion.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's terrible, the intro track on the album makes me burst out laughing. It sounds like the voice-over to an amateur perfume advert.

The album has one or two decent tracks, but I feel like her voice is terrible and she seems to sing in one register in all the songs. Looking at the people she worked with, it could and should have been a better album.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the intros are bad but I think the album is good yeah her voice wasn't what it was due to smoking but she can still sing.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I'm a Tulisa fan from her work with N-Dubz, I like that she grafted for years to get the group to the success they were but I thought her album was terrible, nothing about it is standout at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    See, I quite like Tulisa and I was really let down by the album. I seem like the only one, but I like the Intro/Outro tracks and Sight Of You and Habit are both really good tracks but other than that, the whole album lacks everything for me. Shame really.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    anyone else agree it didn't deserve to flop seems like tulisas management didn't promote it properly.
    apart from sight of you on x factor seems such a shame.
    that all those great songs were recorded at least 2 or 3 more hit singles seems a shame that there's no more promotion.

No promotion? Really.

This was a woman who was on primetime TV every Saturday evening, with viewers who are her target audience (kids and casual music fans). She was in the tabloids nearly everyday - and this isn't enough promotion?

Jesus some people on this forum....

The fact that useless idiots like Tulisa get records contracts in the first place is insulting, to say that they don't get enough promotion when she clearly has been everywhere in the buildup to the release of her crap album is mad.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is 'tulia' anyway? ;)
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No promotion? Really.

This was a woman who was on primetime TV every Saturday evening, with viewers who are her target audience (kids and casual music fans). She was in the tabloids nearly everyday - and this isn't enough promotion?

Jesus some people on this forum....

The fact that useless idiots like Tulisa get records contracts in the first place is insulting, to say that they don't get enough promotion when she clearly has been everywhere in the buildup to the release of her crap album is mad.

**** claps ****
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be there are some good tracks on it but her voice has gotten really bad from when she was in N Dubz I used to think she was a really good singe when she was in N Dubz.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    It's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be, but it was disappointing. She could have cut 5 or 6 tracks and the album would have been a lot more streamlined and improved. And whoever decided to release Sight of You and Live It Up as opposed to Skeletons and Live Your Life really doesn't deserve to be employed anymore.

Also with the promo thing, she was highly visible, you can't argue with that, but not all publicity is good publicity. Never before have I seen the media willing a singer to fail so much (except maybe with Alexandra Burke), so seemingly she couldn't win. The whole project was doomed to fail before it even started, regardless of the quality of the album.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Who is 'tulia' anyway? ;)

Considering that her real name's Tula, the OP wasn't far off from her name either way!
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Intro is the single most horrific opening track to an album in years. The only redeeming thing is that when Young starts, it does sound quite cool and momentous, but damn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlm1YjwoQvc
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this album for about a week, but I can't listen to it anymore. Her voice and some of the production are a bit painful to listen to after a while.

I think in hindsight she should have released the album straight after Young (when she was still quite popular) and then released a couple of the stronger album tracks after that. Launching the album after Live It Up and Sight Of You (two of the weakest tracks on there) was absolutely disastrous.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    Also with the promo thing, she was highly visible, you can't argue with that, but not all publicity is good publicity. Never before have I seen the media willing a singer to fail so much (except maybe with Alexandra Burke), so seemingly she couldn't win. The whole project was doomed to fail before it even started, regardless of the quality of the album.

I'm sorry but the publicity was courted, she went on the X-Factor to put herself in the public eye and launch her 'career'. The fact she appariently came across as an stroppy idiot is her fault. And really if you cant win over people who watch the X Factor (the lowest level of music buyers who will happily lap up any autotuned, karokee crap) then you have no place in music at any level.
    As for the media wanting her to fail? I doubt it as while she was popular she is an easy headline for them.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to it out of curiosity more than anything else but I honestly didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be. It's not a strong album, to be fair, but it's definitely not unlistenable. I don't think anyone was expecting a masterpiece from Tulisa in the first place so. I think it would have been a lot stronger if they cut out some of the filler tracks and those godawful intro/outros - Steal My Breath Away, Kill Me Tonight, and Counterfeit would not be missed on the album and would make a tighter 11-track album. Skeletons and I'm Ready are the best ones.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being on x factor one performance is not enough promo.
    you have to get out there do a radio tour peform on all the shows this morning,loose women etc.
    I would expect that kind of promo from syco not island.
    I do agree that the media wanted her to fail and I do think it's a shame her voice isn't what it was.
    At one time she could really sing but I guess she can't be bothered to take care of it properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone actually expect this album to do so badly though? I thought top 10, Gold was at least intact. This has still sold less than 50k, which is DREADFUL. Her solo career is beyond saving and I don't see an N-Dubz reunion working out anymore because Dappy & Tulisa are just unlikeable now and have developed bad reputations and whilst they had a brilliant selling debut (500k+), and their follow up's didn't do as well with the latter selling a 5th of their debut's sales.

She would be an IDIOT if she quits the X Factor!!!
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    The Intro is the single most horrific opening track to an album in years. The only redeeming thing is that when Young starts, it does sound quite cool and momentous, but damn...

This always manages to cheer me up!!! surely she can't take this intro seriously. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that DS article that was expecting Tulisha's album to be one of the year's biggest sellers:o
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I would expect that kind of promo from syco not island.
    I don't think Island ever gave a shit to be honest.

Firstly, they never signed her - she was just dumped into their roster when the bosses at Universal decided AATW shouldn't promote the album itself and non-dance singles. That was obviously a bad decision.

AATW did a pretty stellar job at getting "Young" to #1, and I'm sure they would have done a decent job with "Live Your Life" if it wasn't scrapped last minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Young is by far the standout track on this album, however Live It Up and Sight Of You were ridiculous single choices. There were much better potential singles, the most notable being Live Your Life and Visa, but there are some other standout tracks such as Damn, Kill Me Tonight and dare I say it, the love or hate track, British Swag. The majority of the other tracks are pretty poor, generic filler. This campaign could have been so totally different with different single choices and had she released the album when Young was released. Also jsut revising the track listing ommiting some of the more dull tracks and settling for 10-12 tracks total. Personally, I think the Intro / Outro is both hilarious and cringeworthy and theyre my guilty pleasure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I really liked Young, but the rest of her music is shite. I'm just listening to the album intro on YouTube now, it's too funny. She sounds like a chavvy chipmunk.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the song "Sight of You" but the weird autotune voice is off putting. It had the potential to be so much better. Also, what was with the random "The End" at the end of the video LOL :D
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Terrible name for an album too. Trying to buy into that female pseudo-empowerment stuff that Beyonce and others have already done far better.

You just can't release mediocre albums now and expect them to sell. It's not like the old days when you had actually buy an album to see if you liked it (if you didn't have a friend who already had it). Now you can just use one of the streaming services and check it out first.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »

Oh God, that is absolutely hilarious in the most cringy way. :D:D

I highly doubt that this album was ever going to be any good (it's Tulisa after all!) but it's got 16 tracks! That would've been considered a mammoth album in years gone by. So many mainstream pop albums now just load the album up with filler tracks to the extent where an album of 10-12 songs is considered short. 45 minutes of good songs is surely better than breaking the hour mark just for the sake of it. I don't think the album would have gone down as badly if they took 6-8 of the strongest tracks, chucked in a few covers, lost the hideous intro and just put out a 50 minute record. Though it would likely still have been pretty damn bad.
    Rant over.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would have been much better the way she went on and the amount of time taking with the 'finishing touches'. I would rather listen to Heidi Montag Superficial ;)