Options

Barking at tv...

steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
Forum Member
Hi, we dread a dog/cat/cow/horse etc appearing on the telly for as soon as our little jackchi sees it she growls and barks at it until either we turn it over (the tv station) or the animal goes off screen. Anyone else have the same problem? It drives us mad!....bless her:)

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a dog when we were kids and whenever the tv show "casualty" finished, and it did that ringing/siren thing, she would get up and go nuts without fail, to the point where when we knew the show was about to end, one of us would sit there with the tv remote ready to mute it as soon as it finished! :D
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting article

My dogs don't really take any notice of the TV - but we still have an old CRT TV :D (It ain't broke so why replace it?) apart from Hansel who will 'sing' along with certain TV theme tunes - EastEnders (which we never watch any more) and Law & Order. The funny thing is, if we change channel or mute he will continue to 'sing' for near enough the exact length of the theme song. And while he is badly out of tune, you can just about make out what he is 'singing'. He always looks so embarrassed afterwards - as though he has no control over himself :D
  • Options
    fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dogs will react to certain animals on the tv but not by barking. They can be fast asleep like they were last night when I was watching Project Nim and as soon as the chimp made a noise they both leapt out of their bed, came running to the tv and sat watching and tilting their heads from side to side!!
    The one thing they do bark at on the tv is when a doorbell goes.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent years turning channels when dogs came on the screen, part of the fun of having a dog we always thought LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Any show which has the sounds of sheep or lambs in it sets mine of in a competition of noise to see who gets the last say - this time of year its hilarious, she can be sleeping, turn it over to Emmerdale and she's charging the telly giving it a row 'get off my land!'
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog loves watching any program with animals on. He crystal and whimpers at dogs, bears, big cars etc. I also likes watching you tube on my phone of daft dogs. He also goes crazy when he sees a pot dog or animal in a shop window. I did buy him his own but he broke it.
  • Options
    CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    My dog used to react to the neighbours theme tune because that meant dinner time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    when a animal comes on the tv. keep the voulume low then when your dog see's it and start's being nauty take her/him out of the room intil (s)he has stopped them let her back in. repeat that every time. don't let her of even once :cool:
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only have a problem with our Staffie doing this especially the Specsavers advert with the short sighted shepherd
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I watched a programme about weird pets and a lady had a huge rodent that was larger than a big dog but apparently the same family as a hamster. It started squeaking and my dog shot out from under his blanket and ran around the room and started sniffing the tv looking for it!

He doesnt tend to respond to animals, although his ears would prick up when paul o gradys battersea programme was on. If he hears someone knock on a door on tv, anything squeaking or the sound of bells (like a cat collar bell) he jumps up to find out where the noise is coming from.