Titanic 3D Ruined by 2 disc edition!!!

Why do they bother bringing out the 3D collectors edition of Titanic if they are going to ruin the film by splitting it into 2 discs.
Very annoyed bought yesterday. Watched last night. Refunded today.
Never would I have bought it had it been clearly marked as a 2 part film split onto 2 disks.

Can anyone comprehend why in the middle if a film someone wants to get the "insert disk 2 message"

The next time James Cameron sits down to watch one of his gold in the cinema, if he ever does, I'd love the middle if the film to be ruined by a message for someone to change the film in the projector or something to tell him.... BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Comments

• webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some lord of the rings boxsets are like that too.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Why do they bother bringing out the 3D collectors edition of Titanic if they are going to ruin the film by splitting it into 2 discs.
    Never would I have bought it had it been clearly marked as a 2 part film split onto 2 disks.

Can anyone comprehend why in the middle if a film someone wants to get the "insert disk 2 message"

The next time James Cameron sits down to watch one of his gold in the cinema, if he ever does, I'd love the middle if the film to be ruined by a message for someone to change the film in the projector or something to tell him.... BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

It's a shame they couldn't split it at the end of the modern section, but that was too short.

They obviously had too much information for just one disc.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

The picture quality on the Titanic 3D Blu-ray is stunning. The only way to achieve this on a film that's 3 hours long is to spread it over 2 discs. Each disc is packing over 46GB of data. (Which is a lot)

If they had tried to squeeze the film onto one disc, the picture quality would have been nowhere near as good.

So you have to get off your backside and change the disk half way through. So what! It's well worth the compromise.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody never owned laserdisc.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »

Or those early DVDs ........Starship Troopers I'm looking at you!

Seriously though, its not that big a deal if you are getting the best quality possible. A chance for a coffee/loo break!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    The reason why it's on two discs is because each eye gets it own 1920x1080 image so in a sense the film is on the same disc twice.
    So because of the length of the film and to keep the PQ and SQ as high as possible it needed to be split over two discs.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the original ship broke into 2 parts when it sunk, so james cameron thought it would be nice to split the movie into 2 parts on bluray as a tribute, so the movie was ruined like the boat
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 hours 15 minutes, I think. Having a break might be beneficial :p 3D means more information on disc. And they could have made one disc version with a higher compression and thus a lower quality, but they went for a two disc version, for a better quality. It may be inconvenient to change the discs in the middle, but it will look better than a single disc version would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    The reason why it's on two discs is because each eye gets it own 1920x1080 image so in a sense the film is on the same disc twice.
    So because of the length of the film and to keep the PQ and SQ as high as possible it needed to be split over two discs.

You're right. 3D does indeed take up more space on a disc than 2D. It's not twice the amount though, but about 1.5 times more thanks to some clever encoding. The left eye image is generated from a full stream of data from tne blu-ray. The right eye data contains any differences from the left eye. The hardware then puts all the data together to give you the 2 full HD images.

The 3D version of the film is in 1.78:1, rather than 2.35:1 for the 2D version. This will also require extra data to keep the image quality at its best.

The Titanic 3D Blu-ray really pushes the format to its limits. The data coming off the disc regularly peaks at 60mbps. The results are seriously impressive. Looking forward to getting my hands on Avatar next month.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    stuartjk wrote: »
    Or those early DVDs ........Starship Troopers I'm looking at you!

...or went to the cinema when there was an intermission for the reel change. Remember those girls would sell choc ices, Kia-Ora, Raisonettes and ciggies from a lap tray? :D
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only question to be asked here is....

Why on earth would you want to watch Titanic, let alone in 3D?

its a terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible
    film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. And Avatar too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    The only question to be asked here is....

Why on earth would you want to watch Titanic, let alone in 3D?

its a terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible
    film
    webbie wrote: »
    Good point. And Avatar too.

The world would be a boring place of we all liked / disliked the same things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but this is a forum. So opinions are allowed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Yes, but this is a forum. So opinions are allowed!

Did anybody say they weren't?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...or went to the cinema when there was an intermission for the reel change. Remember those girls would sell choc ices, Kia-Ora, Raisonettes and ciggies from a lap tray? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCo1Ffn9_u8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xw7gJ6Eew&feature=related

these should be included on every dvd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world would be a boring place of we all liked / disliked the same things.

But it is a terrible film... I do not understand your point?
    Forum Member

Those Pearl & Deans bring back memories.:)
    The only DVD I know of that's actually got a proper intermission is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Those Pearl & Deans bring back memories.:)
    The only DVD I know of that's actually got a proper intermission is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

http://youtu.be/Wev6UaQKtAc

this is the only "Lets go to the lobby" version you ever need........
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/Wev6UaQKtAc

this is the only "Lets go to the lobby" version you ever need........

That's a shame, video not supported on my device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is a terrible film... I do not understand your point?

My point is, just because YOU think it is terrible, plenty of other people like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is, just because YOU think it is terrible, plenty of other people like it.

My point is, its terrible and plenty of people agree...ahh the other people, the other people is a scary place with webbed fingers where you marry your mother's sisters uncle cousin.

-GONZO-
    its a great video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wev6UaQKtAc&feature=youtu.be

http://bcmoney-mobiletv.com/view/959/aqua-teen-hunger-force-movie-intro/

well from the address above you can guess where it is from but its a slight pee take on the original
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the other people is a scary place with webbed fingers where you marry your mother's sisters uncle cousin.

Norfolk??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norfolk??

and forest of dean
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sound of Music

Dr Zhivago

Mutiny on The Bounty

Gone with the Wind

all films with an intermission, (entr'acte) I think.