Amending email address for gmail account

Hoping someone can give me a bit of guidance on how to go about resolving an issue.

Basically, my father bought himself an android tablet, and having had no experience with android or smartphones for that matter, when he set up the gmail account, he used his talktalk email address instead of gmail.

So now of course, it tries to sync his account which fails as it obviously cant "find" his account with the wrong address being used.

This is preventing him doing other things that are linked to the google account.

I am trying to find a way of either deleting the address or simply amending it to the gmail email address that he now has so that it will sync correctly and proceed how it should.

That is where I have a problem. I cannot find anything in the settings to do this, and the help pages dont mention anything like this.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Settings-->accounts-->Google-->touch the email address-->touch the 3 dots at top right of screen-->remove account.

At least that's how it works on my tablet. Hopefully your Dad's is similar.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i've read the first post correctly he has created a Google account with his talk talk email address, and then signed up for Gmail.

In which case, you need to add the Gmail account to the Google account, and this will change the primary address of the Google account to the Gmail address.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/72198
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double posted :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    :D That is brilliant!!

I stupidly forgot about the separate settings, and was trying to do this via the settings in the gmail app!!

Was so easy to do once I was in the right place - DUH!!!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated! Talktalk address deleted and his existing gmail account now added as it should have been in the first place!

Happy days :D
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shelle wrote: »
    :D That is brilliant!!

I stupidly forgot about the separate settings, and was trying to do this via the settings in the gmail app!!

Was so easy to do once I was in the right place - DUH!!!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated! Talktalk address deleted and his existing gmail account now added as it should have been in the first place!

Happy days :D

Excellent. Glad it worked OK :)