Options

Username Silliness

Comments

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I checked my SOED and it's not in there at all, but it is a 1969 edition and sadly out of date. On line there is still little information, and the one I quoted is the only one I found with any information other than "French". That link also suggested it might possibly come from the Hebrew "barukh habba"...blessed be the one who comes...

Bruja is defined as a woman who has a pact with the evil. I have now found another ref.that says brouhaha in medieval theatre was "the cry of the devil disguised as clergy", so the devil seems to be the link.

I have dug around in my Spanish sites for the origins of bruj@ and the consensus seems to be that it comes from one of the Pre-roman Iberian languages. So I would guess they mean Vandal or Visigoth.

Yeah it's all making sense. Like the idea of a Hebrew link though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonders will never cease. I am actually having a really interesting discussion on the main forum. Faith restored.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    seems like humour is banned on the main board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The guy with the Aga? I thought so too

bit surprised by that, he likes to refer to one of the female HMs as "leather chops"
  • Options
    Flight815-23DFlight815-23D Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »

Don't worry, you can always SOAR in here :D

Working my way through 2 weeks of WDYTYA, US and UK. No good shall come from this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, you can always SOAR in here :D

Working my way through 2 weeks of WDYTYA, US and UK. No good shall come from this.

have there been any interesting ones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have there been any interesting ones?

Watching Cindy Crawford's right now - her ancestor was a Captain defending Taunton Castle in the 1640's - abandoned his family in Connecticut to go back there to fight. They're teasing in the bumpers that she has a very big deal ancestor further back, but not up to that yet.

(making notes of lots of names in this one, because there are a lot of similar placenames and dates in my tree, and all those families intermarried for generations)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watching Cindy Crawford's right now - her ancestor was a Captain defending Taunton Castle in the 1640's - abandoned his family in Connecticut to go back there to fight. They're teasing in the bumpers that she has a very big deal ancestor further back, but not up to that yet.

(making notes of lots of names in this one, because there are a lot of similar placenames and dates in my tree, and all those families intermarried for generations)

there have been some very interesting ones i saw a while ago (probably ancient in usa!) one in particular (wish i could remember who it was) whose ancestor was instrumental in the beginnings of votes for women in america
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bit surprised by that, he likes to refer to one of the female HMs as "leather chops"

Does he?:eek:

he didn't on the thread where I met him but to be fair it probably is difficult to work into a conversation about the merits of an Aga.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does he?:eek:

he didn't on the thread where I met him but to be fair it probably is difficult to work into a conversation about the merits of an Aga.:D

yes, he is also a big fan of max planck, but then physics is an fascinating subject....:D
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Polite way of saying 'old cow'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Polite way of saying 'old cow'?

*raises eyebrow*
    how was the rugby?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *raises eyebrow*
    how was the rugby?

Well her face does need a bloody good iron.

Rugby into the second game and is rivetless!:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well her face does need a bloody good iron.

Rugby into the second game and is rivetless!:yawn:

oh dear....that's very disappointing......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, Planets, I don't know if you'll want to track the Crawford episode down online or not - it aired nearly 2 weeks ago. Just in case, I'll put the bombshell ancestor in spoilers.
    Charlemagne

Not bad for a model from a farm in Illinois.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, Planets, I don't know if you'll want to track the Crawford episode down online or not - it aired nearly 2 weeks ago. Just in case, I'll put the bombshell ancestor in spoilers.
    Charlemagne

Not bad for a model from a farm in Illinois.

blimey!!!! bit of an unexpected one there!!! (i'm not bothered about spoilers :D but probably wise ) i might try and track that one down can't quite imagine how they found that one out!
  • Options
    Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Wonders will never cease. I am actually having a really interesting discussion on the main forum. Faith restored.

I had one the other night. Very refreshing! Took some finding though

Certainly is tonight. Another funny thread locked.

Nice to see you Muggins :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Certainly is tonight. Another funny thread locked.

Nice to see you Muggins :D

i am morally outraged by it :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am morally outraged by it :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

And an official DS warning! Tut tut!:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And an official DS warning! Tut tut!:(

place is full of mentals if they are reporting people joking about using the :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    place is full of mentals if they are reporting people joking about using the :rolleyes:

If you continue to recreate threads that have been closed, you'll find your posting privileges revoked. Threads regarding other forum members aren't tolerated.

Stalin would be proud. Maybe Kim-Jong-Il runs this place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you continue to recreate threads that have been closed, you'll find your posting privileges revoked. Threads regarding other forum members aren't tolerated.

Stalin would be proud. Maybe Kim-Jong-Il runs this place.

i'm considering a Suicide Thread and going out in style:cool:
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well :mad::mad::mad: I've come back from my jollies to find this STILL going and as it's one of the few threads I've enjoyed in some time I'm going to have to read ALL OF it. :mad: The red dot in my forehead - by the way - has been subsumed by my gorgeous tan. :cool: Be back when I've caught up....... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well :mad::mad::mad: I've come back from my jollies to find this STILL going and as it's one of the few threads I've enjoyed in some time I'm going to have to read ALL OF it. :mad: The red dot in my forehead - by the way - has been subsumed by my gorgeous tan. :cool: Be back when I've caught up....... :o

oh bad luck patsy....the padded room is ready for when it all gets too much for you, sedatives on the side there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm considering a Suicide Thread and going out in style:cool:

Cammy Cazzy!
This discussion has been closed.