Nexus 4, cracked screen

c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My own stupidity and laziness in ordering a protector of some kind, I don't like the bumper but it would have stopped the screen cracking on this occasion.

Anyway, the bottom right hand, about 1 cm up and about 2 cm across is now cracked and not responding.

Had a quick scan around the web and looks like google are going to charge around £100 and takes around 2 weeks. Carphone warehouse may do repairs but don't know how much and how long it will take. Are there any other options ??

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently CPW charge £80 to repair a cracked screen.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same thing has happened to mine it only fell from the sofa to the floor and the screen has cracked and the bottom half inch no longer responds to touch.

£100 to repair a £270 phone seems a little harsh, and if I use CPW I will void the warranty.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    To be fair it isn't *really* a £270 phone, it's 'underpriced' due to Google not taking any retailers cut on it. Still, £100 is not exactly an inconsequential sum, I agree. All for the sake of a 3 quid case....my son's GF dropped hers (with afore-mentioned 3 quid case) from approx 3 feet onto our hardwood floor - not a scratch.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    To be fair it isn't *really* a £270 phone, it's 'underpriced' due to Google not taking any retailers cut on it. Still, £100 is not exactly an inconsequential sum, I agree. All for the sake of a 3 quid case....my son's GF dropped hers (with afore-mentioned 3 quid case) from approx 3 feet onto our hardwood floor - not a scratch.

yeah, I've been kicking myself for not getting a case. I had actually ordered one when my mrs first got the phone but they were out of stock of the one she wanted and I never got round to ordering another one.

Of course I had to be the one to drop it :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    yeah, I've been kicking myself for not getting a case. I had actually ordered one when my mrs first got the phone but they were out of stock of the one she wanted and I never got round to ordering another one.

Of course I had to be the one to drop it :o

This happened to me but I bought a cheap 3 quid case from ebay until the official bumper came back in stock which turned out to be lucky as I did end up dropping it.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    The same thing has happened to mine it only fell from the sofa to the floor and the screen has cracked and the bottom half inch no longer responds to touch.

£100 to repair a £270 phone seems a little harsh, and if I use CPW I will void the warranty.

I thought you sold yours....:confused:

I've dropped mine from the sofa arm more time that i care to remember and its never cracked. Before i got my case Gormond recommended, it used to slip off the damn leather couch constantly. It used to be on the floor more than it was in my hand! Still not a mark on it.

Also, its not a £270 phone. I wish you would drop that.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

I brought mine from the googleplay store and it cost me £279, so for me it's a £279 phone.:confused::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course it is! That's the price that Google announced and that's the price that it sells for on the Play Store.

Is it head and shoulders above the spec that you would expect on other phones in that price bracket? Absolutely. Does that make it very good value for money? Definitely. But it's still a £279 phone because that's its price point.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I brought mine from the googleplay store and it cost me £279, so for me it's a £279 phone.:confused::confused:

for once we agree Hugh (well as long as we agree its £279 not £270) :D
    Forum Member

No you didn't. You 'bought' it....;)

Anyway, Google announced it as a £279 phone bought only from them. LG who makes the phone charge more than that for it. Much more as does everywhere else.
    Forum Member
    Of course it is! That's the price that Google announced and that's the price that it sells for on the Play Store.

Is it head and shoulders above the spec that you would expect on other phones in that price bracket? Absolutely. Does that make it very good value for money? Definitely. But it's still a £279 phone because that's its price point.

That's only direct from Google's price though :confused:

Everywhere else is way over £350.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

Do they allow you to bring stuff from the Google play store? :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You got free delivery then? As it cost me £289 including delivery.

Also as mentioned Google are taking a retailer cut on the sales, hence why it's closer to £400 everywhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a follow up question, has anybody actually had their screen replaced with CPW or LG (who google direct you to).

CPW want £23.50 just to look at it and LG won't even give a quote for looking at it but the guy on their helpline said it will be at least £20 to get a quote.

I had a look at replacing it myself but parts alone are £80 (and that is shipped from US) and the screen appears to be glued with the case and apparently can be a pain to separate.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    You've made me nervous now. I have the nexus 4 with a silicon case that covers the back but not the screen.
    Which is the best case?

Really bad luck on the screen. If it's new, I'd get google (LG) to repair it as I'd still want my warranty and it's a really good phone.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to wait 2 weeks you can do it your self.

I managed to crack the front screen and was able to repair it myself by using this video

The screens are quite expensive though as you have to buy the lcd and digitizer assembly in one unit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like a lot of money.
    I know you don't live near me but when I was in our local mobile phone repair shop getting my phone unlocked somebody came in with their iPhone with a cracked screen and he said he would replace it for £40.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    That sounds like a lot of money.
    I know you don't live near me but when I was in our local mobile phone repair shop getting my phone unlocked somebody came in with their iPhone with a cracked screen and he said he would replace it for £40.

the digitizer and LCD are bonded on the Nexus so I think £40 is going to be out of the question for this phone
    Forum Member
    Do you not have any insurance for the phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    the digitizer and LCD are bonded on the Nexus so I think £40 is going to be out of the question for this phone

Sounds like a good reason not to buy this phone. Not that I've got a clue what a digitizer is!
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good reason not to buy this phone. Not that I've got a clue what a digitizer is!

Most phones are like this now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most phones are like this now.

I don't even know what I'm doing on this forum! I only ventured in to get some advice on resetting my phone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not have any insurance for the phone?

nope, never damaged or lost a phone in over 15 years between me and my mrs. As I mentioned the plan was to get a proper case, just never got round to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've made me nervous now. I have the nexus 4 with a silicon case that covers the back but not the screen.
    Which is the best case?

Really bad luck on the screen. If it's new, I'd get google (LG) to repair it as I'd still want my warranty and it's a really good phone.

It didn't fall on the screen, it actually the edge of a paving block at an angle right where the bezel meets the screen. I would imagine if it had hit anywhere else I would have got away with it.

The official bumper may have saved it, any cover that comes round the side and meets up to the glass and stands proud of the screen would probably have saved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    nope, never damaged or lost a phone in over 15 years between me and my mrs. As I mentioned the plan was to get a proper case, just never got round to it.

You mind find that its covered in your house insurance, just the excess to pay which will probably be the cheapest method.