Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    We say goodbye to the increasingly whiney and redicolous Diane tonight:)

Diane rules, she just likes things a certain way :p

Tonight's first episode contains my favourite scene of Cheers, when Sam imagines the future with Diane. Such a sweet scene imo

Then it's hello Rebecca. Took a while for them to figure out the character, then it's hello craziness :D
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane rules, she just likes things a certain way :p

Tonight's first episode contains my favourite scene of Cheers, when Sam imagines the future with Diane. Such a sweet scene imo

Then it's hello Rebecca. Took a while for them to figure out the character, then it's hello craziness :D

In last nights 'house buying' episode she was ludicrous, unbelievable and annoying.

The synopsis for tonight's first episode:

Sam and Diane's wedding day approaches at long last, but enthusiasm is waning amongst the regulars at the bar.

I know how they feel:sleep:
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was it decided that Shelley Long was leaving as I wonder if the producers chose to make Diane more and more annoying so by the time she went no one would miss her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    When was it decided that Shelley Long was leaving as I wonder if the producers chose to make Diane more and more annoying so by the time she went no one would miss her.

I was finding her very annoying by season 3.

By this time it was less "will they, won't they?" than "who f@#$!ng cares!"
    Forum Member
    I was finding her very annoying by season 3.

By this time it was less "will they, won't they?" than "who f@#$!ng cares!"

I think there was a distinct ramping up of Diane's foibles in her last season, the whole 3 proposal things do look really silly now with the benefit of 26 years of time (as an eleven year old I didn't notice before).

I still like the whole Sam & Diane thing, as it was a main hook of the early series.

I'm glad they went the way they did when Rebecca joined, the show was more ensemble later on (heck it even started to become that way after Coach died)

:)
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye bye Diane
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are they still engaged, what happened to the house they bought? If the book writing didn't work out why did she not return to Boston. Perhaps these get cleared up later in the series.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are they still engaged, what happened to the house they bought? If the book writing didn't work out why did she not return to Boston. Perhaps these get cleared up later in the series.

What happened with Diane and her book is only clarfied in the series finale, 'One For the Road'. In the first episode of Season 6, Woody gives Eddie Le Bec a brief summary of where she went off to, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, for those fans of Sam and Diane who'd be interested in seeing the alternate ending to 'I Do, and Adieu', here it is:

Sam and Diane Get Married!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    What happened with Diane and her book is only clarfied in the series finale, 'One For the Road'. In the first episode of Season 6, Woody gives Eddie Le Bec a brief summary of where she went off to, though.

I've enjoyed the series so far and I know it's only a comedy but, sorry, the final Diane episode was just too unbelievable and left too many loose ends for my liking.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm not ashamed to say that I was bawling at the end when old Sam and Diane were shuffling around the floor! It was so poignant, knowing that it never comes to pass.....
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I like Kirstie Alley on Cheers alot but always miss Diane like mad when I finish rewatching Season 5 :(
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Diane (never thought I'd feel that)

Not warming to Rebecca Howe just yet. She seems quite wooden and detached. I hope she gets involved with the 'group' a little more (early days yet though) I have been informed that her character does change (soften?) over time - I look forward to that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not warming to Rebecca Howe just yet. She seems quite wooden and detached. I hope she gets involved with the 'group' a little more (early days yet though) I have been informed that her character does change (soften?) over time - I look forward to that. :)

Rebecca becomes a neurotic wreck, which is much funnier than the ice queen she starts out as. She also does get involved with the group probably more than Diane - she even becomes good friends with Carla! :eek:
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that season 6 is here one of the names in the end credits is much more prominent than it used to be, since her promotion to Associate Producer, Mary Fukuto.

That name makes me smile everytime.

And you too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that season 6 is here one of the names in the end credits is much more prominent than it used to be, since her promotion to Associate Producer, Mary Fukuto.

That name makes me smile everytime.

And you too!

I'm so glad someone else gets a kick out of that! :D:o Every time!
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Have to say I thought Diane's exit episode wasn't very good. Didn't really make a great deal of sense to me that Sam would stop the wedding and basically tell her to go off. It lacked emotion and felt rushed, but then, I assume it was rushed. I wonder how much notice Shelley long gave the writers before leaving. Have to say it too - Kirstie Alley was hot!
    Forum Member
    Have to say I thought Diane's exit episode wasn't very good. Didn't really make a great deal of sense to me that Sam would stop the wedding and basically tell her to go off. It lacked emotion and felt rushed, but then, I assume it was rushed. I wonder how much notice Shelley long gave the writers before leaving. Have to say it too - Kirstie Alley was hot!

as I remember it, Shelley gave notice before the start of season 5. So the writers should have had enough time to come up with something decent, I guess they did waste a fair amount of time with the endless proposals (plus a few episodes where Diane is only in one scene)

Kirstie Alley gets better the more stupid (in a nice way) they make Rebecca
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought last nights episodes quickly showed an improvement that Rebecca's character allowed. Better as a main character in the one with Sam as the TV sports anchor and as a 'dip in' with Carla's wedding to Eddie.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I still enjoyed Cheers up till Diane left the storyline had been over played and once Rebecca appeared it was rejuvenated. Like PW says she is hot and her voice is so sexy. It takes a few episodes for her character to build as we see her become more and more neurotic. I am so looking forward to the next few weeks
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True.
    I've enjoyed the series so far and I know it's only a comedy but, sorry, the final Diane episode was just too unbelievable and left too many loose ends for my liking.
    True again, I didn't get the 'having to go away from everyone' either. The scriptwriters must have been pissed off with her to not come up with a better story line.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Rebecca becomes a neurotic wreck, which is much funnier than the ice queen she starts out as. She also does get involved with the group probably more than Diane - she even becomes good friends with Carla! :eek:
    I thought last nights episodes quickly showed an improvement that Rebecca's character allowed. Better as a main character in the one with Sam as the TV sports anchor and as a 'dip in' with Carla's wedding to Eddie.
    Much as I still enjoyed Cheers up till Diane left the storyline had been over played and once Rebecca appeared it was rejuvenated. Like PW says she is hot and her voice is so sexy. It takes a few episodes for her character to build as we see her become more and more neurotic. I am so looking forward to the next few weeks

Good to read that her character gets more involved. :cool: Always liked Kirstie Alley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I felt exactly the same about Diane's exit didn't make any sense and loose ends not tied.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    It was out of character the way Diane left, in real life she would have written her book while still with Sam at Cheers but alas that couldn't happen due to Shelley wanting out.

There is just no way Diane would have not visited Cheers a single time for six entire years. But hey thats just the way it had to be.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This afternoon's double bill weren't in widescreen! Anyone know if they were when on last night? I'll try and see them on Saturday morning instead and hope they're in wide this time.