IMDB Top 250

sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've decided to work my way through the IMDB Top 250 after watching a couple of old classics this week, at present I've seen 132 , curious to hear what percentage other people seem to have seen.

Comments

• Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just went through them all and I've seen 80 out of the 250
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    139 - I miss out on a lot of the oldies, Japanese and the Tolkien films. I do well on euro, blockbusters and Hitchcock.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the imdb ranking process is flawed, but in keeping with the spirit of the thread I've seen 157 out of those 250
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    121 for me - mind you are are a few I've no intention of ever watching :)
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
    Forrest Gump
    Terminator 2
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Alien
    Back to the Future
    Aliens
    The Lion King
    Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
    2001: A Space Odyssey So boring to me
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Die Hard
    Jaws
    The Thing
    The Wizard of Oz
    Groundhog Day
    Twelve Monkeys
    Donnie Darko
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Star Trek
    Jurassic Park
    District 9

Read To Go when I get time

Inception (2010)
    The Shining
    The Green Mile
    Matrix
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Batman Begins
    The Sixth Sense
    Into the Wild
    Ben-Hur
    Stand by Me
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just counted and I've seen 28!
    Not one for the 'classic' films though.
    And a few of them I've only seen because I did film studies and had to watch them for my coursework (the older ones from the 20's)
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I've seen 199 on that list if I counted correctly.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen 63 of them and I think about 12 of them were ones I actually liked

I am very weird when it comes to films. I normally like the films that were flops, or hated or not very well known ones.
  • abhabh Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn, i consider myself a movie buff and surprised that I have only seen 97 movies from the top 250

most of the unseen are the old ones 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s.. unable to find the mood to seem.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised at how many of my favourite movies are not in that list. I just checked one of my favourites, 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp', and that has a rating of 8.0, which is higher thatn some on that list. It says that only votes from regular voters are considered, though.

I've seen 162 of them. Looking at the 88 films I haven't seen, there aren't many that I'd want to try.

Highest positioned film that I haven't seen is Fight Club, at 10.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen 126 of them
    I need to see some more of the classics
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Ive seen 123. Mostly the B&W classics I haven't seen.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    They really need to start being more strict about the weighting of films and what constitutes a fair score. The likes of Star Trek Into Darkness should not be in there. It'll drop out within a year once the fanboy ratings are balanced out by more level-headed ones.
  • Neo TokyoNeo Tokyo Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Seen 140.
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen 204 give or take a couple as lost count couple times
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    I think the imdb ranking process is flawed, but in keeping with the spirit of the thread I've seen 157 out of those 250

It has to be when Manhattan is at 247 and Terminator 2 at 36!:eek:

I think I've seen about a third from the list.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    No slight intended on the OP (good on you for expanding your tastes there are many wonderful films on that list)

IMDB tends to be popular Hollywood/English speaking films and very little beyond.

A far better and definitive guide IMO (not necessarily for ranking but movies included)
    http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm
    Forum Member
    oops.. As for how many...196.

Would be much higher if there was more 'world' cinema on the list.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen 57 of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    No slight intended on the OP (good on you for expanding your tastes there are many wonderful films on that list)

IMDB tends to be popular Hollywood/English speaking films and very little beyond.

A far better and definitive guide IMO (not necessarily for ranking but movies included)
    http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm

So (as far as I can see) nothing post 2001 has made it onto the list? Interesting...
    Forum Member
    So (as far as I can see) nothing post 2001 has made it onto the list? Interesting...

There are a few options, just above where the list actually starts, if you click on 'by year' there are around 40 movies from 2001 onwards.:)

Thankfully Inception is nowhere to be found.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    There are a few options, just above where the list actually starts, if you click on 'by year' there are around 40 movies from 2001 onwards.:)

Thankfully Inception is nowhere to be found.

I did a bit more in depth searching later on, and discovered a few.

Always disappoints me slightly that Pan's Labyrinth doesn't place higher in lists like this. But then I suppose other people's opinions of films don't really matter...
    Forum Member
    I did a bit more in depth searching later on, and discovered a few.

Always disappoints me slightly that Pan's Labyrinth doesn't place higher in lists like this. But then I suppose other people's opinions of films don't really matter...

Aye.
    Personally I don't tend to worry about rankings in lists like this but more what is included. So, for me the IMDB list, whilst is has many many great films in it, is on the the whole mainly Hollywood/English speaking safe. Nothing wrong with that but it is limited in its scope considering it is supposed to be a 'of all time list'.

Anyway, apologies OP didn't mean to divert the thread.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    abh wrote: »
    damn, i consider myself a movie buff and surprised that I have only seen 97 movies from the top 250

most of the unseen are the old ones 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s.. unable to find the mood to seem.

I counted 97 too!!
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The list must be dynamic, in that we each see the most up-to-date version when we view it, because I saw Inception on there (not seen it though).

So in a sense our scores are meaningless because we're not all looking at the same list. Nevertheless, I scored around 140 to 150, not exact because some sound familiar but I can't be certain I've seen them.