Recent Blu-Ray Discs Dont Seem To Be As Good Somehow

MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Recently, I have purchased a few Blu-ray discs to add to my ever growing collection. I have noticed though that some of them are struggling to maintain the clarity in darker scenes which show intense grain and pixilation. A good example is The Vampire Diaries Season 1 which I picked up for £6 in CEX.

I am wondering if my Sony Blu-Ray player might be playing up; although SD Discs play quite well. If it is not the machine, then are the current discs not up to standard?

I wonder what other viewers think.

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the type of content - and how well it has been mastered into HD.
    I find the same is also true re HD and SD tv channels.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Will depend on wheat you are comparing it to as well. Vampire Diaries is a TV series so generally they don't have as much time to light and shoot it as well as a big budget film.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I am wondering if my Sony Blu-Ray player might be playing up;

No it won't be that. If it was anything to do with the kit then it would be the TV but almost certainly it's just the blu-ray disk mastering and the original content especially since you are seeing grain.

Or it could just be that you've got used to blu-ray and lost the wow factor.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The quality of Blurays varies by a ridiculous amount.
    You can get 50 year old movies like To Catch a Thief which show the format at its best with incredible levels of detail then you'll get more modern material which hasn't had as much care taken with the transfer or perhaps its just the way its shot - which is something I find with modern HD tv shows.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for your comments, guess I will just have to put up with the variable quality which seems to prevail with Blu-Rays these days.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your comments, guess I will just have to put up with the variable quality which seems to prevail with Blu-Rays these days.

Variable quality is everywhere on DVD, TV, Cinema, CD, MP3 etc etc - it's not just on Blu Ray