Disney Confirms Standalone ‘Star Wars’ Films In Between Episodes 7-9

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Overkill ?

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-standalone-movies-release-dates/

I'm all for more Star Wars, but if they're going to flood the market with films, surely it dilutes the impact ?

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overkill ?

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-standalone-movies-release-dates/

I'm all for more Star Wars, but if they're going to flood the market with films, surely it dilutes the impact ?

Depends on the quality I suppose. I suspect they are looking at something akin to the recent "Marvel universe" stories. In that case it's worked IMO. There is plenty of scope to tell a myriad of stories in the SW universe.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    2 - 3 films per year starting with Yoda?

I've got a bad feeling about this.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 - 3 films per year starting with Yoda?

Hmmm, bad feeling you do have.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beat me to it! :)

I know Disney have to make their money back, and I hope they go The Avengers route, but this approach has "Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure" and "straight to DVD" written all over it...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it could work , only I can't help feeling that it will dillute the saga somhow .
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my mate said i was over reacting when i said i didn't like the idea of Disney buying Lucas film.

This is to him

"i told you so"
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well let me put it out there ..

"Jar Jar Binks : The Early Years"

:eek::eek:
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Jar Jar and the Seven Ewoks
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it could work , only I can't help feeling that it will dillute the saga somhow .

Its already been diluted my friend!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Creatively, Star Wars is dead.

It's been dead since 1983.

Disney are simply trying to milk the name for all its worth, and they are right to do so. They know each movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars regardless of quality.
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Hmmm, bad feeling you do have.

lmao . :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anyone else who isn't remotely interested in the reboot of Star Wars or is it just me? I couldn't care one iota about this.
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Is there anyone else who isn't remotely interested in the reboot of Star Wars or is it just me? I couldn't care one iota about this.

For fans of pre-1997 Star Wars who aren't blind faith fanboys who accept anything with "Star Wars" slapped on it, it's just further punishment.

Disney should toss us a bone, and release a remastered version of the unaltered classic trilogy on DVD and Blu-ray

I'd be content with that
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The Star Wars universe is a rich tapestry to work with, and a character driven story against such a backdrop really could be great. They need to just forget about trying to create a two-hour toy commercial though which is what Lucas did with each of the most recent three films. They were dire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Disney are simply trying to milk the name for all its worth, and they are right to do so. They know each movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars regardless of quality.

As is Yoda. He died in Episode 6. Are they going to make The Further Adventures of Dead Yoda?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    For fans of pre-1997 Star Wars who aren't blind faith fanboys who accept anything with "Star Wars" slapped on it, it's just further punishment.

Disney should toss us a bone, and release a remastered version of the unaltered classic trilogy on DVD and Blu-ray

I'd be content with that
    Disney probably still have to go through George Lucas, and I'm fairly certain Fox still have distribution rights for the old films...
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I just don't see where they can go with Yoda. He's really not that interesting or dynamic a character to hold an entire movie.

Plus, he speaks reeeealy strangely...
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    As is Yoda. He died in Episode 6. Are they going to make The Further Adventures of Dead Yoda?

Or Disney's Adventures of Yoda the Youngling
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't say creatively Star Wars is dead - if the right director or team came in they could actually make a really good movie hence why I am optimistic with the appointment of JJ Abrams.

So far Disney has made some encouraging strides with Episode 7 so fingers crossed they can pull this off.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is plenty Star Wars out there to satisfy young or old. Some of it is great, some of it isnt. Anyone suggesting it is creatively dead is burrying their head in the sand.

I don't have a problem with Disney making movies in addition to the Episodes. That way people can enjoy or ignore at their own pleasure, just like what has been happening for years with the Clone Wars movie, the tv series and all the EU stuff. I suspect the general public will focus on the Episodes and won't pay much attention to the standalone movies.
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    I wouldn't say creatively Star Wars is dead - if the right director or team came in they could actually make a really good movie hence why I am optimistic with the appointment of JJ Abrams.

So far Disney has made some encouraging strides with Episode 7 so fingers crossed they can pull this off.

To make a really good movie in the Star Wars universe first requires two things.

1- Restoration of the original trilogy. All of the changes that Lucas pointlessly added to the trilogy from 1997 onwards should be removed.

2- Decanonisation of the prequels, and the spin-off animated shows based on the Clone Wars. They are terrible, and Star Wars can only progress creatively if they are ignored.

Once both those things are done, Disney can go forward with the sequel trilogy, and then in the future they can make a new and improved prequel trilogy, earning billions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I'm not enthused about it, but I think if they get a good cast, writer and director they can make more good movies. I would have said the same about doing the X-Men prequel trilogy when that was first announced, but then the first movie was awesome. It is going to be touch to win over diehards who view the originals through rose tinted glasses, but for the average joe movie goer whose kidhood isn't attached to the originals, I think they've got a good chance of doing well.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make a really good movie in the Star Wars universe first requires two things.

1- Restoration of the original trilogy. All of the changes that Lucas pointlessly added to the trilogy from 1997 onwards should be removed.

2- Decanonisation of the prequels, and the spin-off animated shows based on the Clone Wars. They are terrible, and Star Wars can only progress creatively if they are ignored.

Once both those things are done, Disney can go forward with the sequel trilogy, and then in the future they can make a new and improved prequel trilogy, earning billions.

I've already done that bit in my mind.

When I was growing up watching the Star Wars films I used to have all these images and ideas in my head when Obi Wan was talking about the old days. Then the prequels came out and seemed to ruin all that.

Then, last year I watched the original (unaltered) trilogy again and I was delighted to find that the mental images conjured up in my mind when Obi Wan tells the stories were the same ones I came up with when I was five years old. They didn't link in any way to the prequel trilogy.

I was very happy.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the franchise is nearly 40 years old and there's still only two movies from it worth watching (eps 4 and 5) needless to say I cant wait for these new films NOT