Error Code 21 - iPhone Dead?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
Forum Member
Was trying to update my 3GS to iOS4 and now it's killed my iphone!!!
There was an error, said it would need to be restored but now it gives me Error Code 21 whenever I try to restore!!
Help!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    dear oh dear, it begins.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timmeyboy wrote: »
    Was trying to update my 3GS to iOS4 and now it's killed my iphone!!!
    There was an error, said it would need to be restored but now it gives me Error Code 21 whenever I try to restore!!
    Help!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem & no matter what firmware I downloaded, it cameup with the same problem. The only cure I found was to download a OS4 beta & then force restore it by holding down the shift key when clicking the restore option in itunes.

Hope that you can cure it, as it does scare the crap out of you.
  • Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear :cry:

Mine keeps 'Updating carrier settings'. Done it 5 times in the last couple of minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I've gone into my itunes settings and deleted the iphone 4.0 restore and reconnected iphone.
    It's downloading the iphone 4.0 again - gotta wait about 20 minutes now!

I think term is BRICKING IT!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    timmeyboy wrote: »
    I've gone into my itunes settings and deleted the iphone 4.0 restore and reconnected iphone.
    It's downloading the iphone 4.0 again - gotta wait about 20 minutes now!

I think term is BRICKING IT!!!

Hi mate iv got the same problem, where did you find the IOS4 download so that you could delete it?
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got this on my iPod 3G. Just restore it on another PC via iTunes and all will be fine.

It's a problem with your PC thinking it has more than one iPhone connected and it just refuses to update. It's daft, but it scares the crap out of you when you are left with a lump of £230 metal...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened to mine today while trying to restore to iOS4, had to take it to the apple shop and get them to do it.

There were dozens of people there with the same issue, some showing different error codes which couldn't be resolved so they gave some replacement handsets under the warranty.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    The only way I found out of this was to open a new 'User account' on my laptop and plug in the iPhone to iTunes on that account and that allowed me to restore it to factory settings and downloaded the new OS. Only problem was, all my contacts disappeared along with everything else.
    I then plugged it into my iTunes on the original User account and it did a sync and downloaded all my apps again......But no contacts or passwords etc. All Apps had to have their passwords etc reinstated.
    I've been pumping phone numbers into it all day (Those I have). Not best pleased but at least it's not 'Bricked'....:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    The annoying thing is this.......

I had a 3g that did this on a previous software release. It bricked the phone.
    I took it to an apple store and they looked at the moisture sensors and said 'water damage'!!

They would not replace it.

Gutted

£130 to get it sorted.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Sue them.....The new OS obviously installed water on your phone!!!!
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an absolute disgrace................I aint touching it til something stable is sorted out...
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water Damage - there's an app for that.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace................I aint touching it til something stable is sorted out...

So 1 person having trouble means that its unstable? Do be brief!

Restart your PC, and launch a restore in DFU mode, that will sort it. Also, make sure you've updated to iTunes 9.2, otherwise it won't work at all. Also, try a different USB socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    So 1 person having trouble means that its unstable? Do be brief!

Restart your PC, and launch a restore in DFU mode, that will sort it. Also, make sure you've updated to iTunes 9.2, otherwise it won't work at all. Also, try a different USB socket.

To be fair to Boyzie it is more than 1 person affected. Mine got bricked yesterday and it was only a trip to the apple shop lasting an hour that sorted it out. By the way there were many others in store with the same issue.
  • blakeichblakeich Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    mind you i had trouble my os4 install failed so i had to restore but then restore failed with a 1604 error i had to download a special program to bypass the error
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering there are 10 million iOS devices in the world if it was unstable you'd soon know about it. So far I've seen three people complaining.