John Hurt Who?

ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who do you think John Hurt is playing?

Doctor Zero - He's the original before Hartnell, before he took on the name Doctor.
Doctor Nine - He's the lost Doctor between McGann and Eccleston.
Doctor Twelve - He's the next incarnation whom Eleven has encountered as Ten in the 50th - the baddie that Simeon prophesied.
Other - Please specify.

Who do you think John Hurt is playing? 447 votes

Doctor Zero
15% 70 votes
Doctor Nine (the lost Doctor)
57% 259 votes
Doctor Twelve
4% 21 votes
Other
21% 97 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 9. McGann will regenerate into him.

But I just want McGann so I might be wishing instead of thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Either the 9th (or 8.5, whatever people are calling it)

Or just throwing it out there, the 1st.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Not any Doctor, The real 9th Regeneration during the time war in which he doesnt act in the way the doctor normally would.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he's twelve, the very fact he's played by John Hurts rules that out.

I'm stuck between the real Nine or the real One (with Hartnell and Eccleston being the real Two and Ten respectively).
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TD Chesh wrote: »
    Not any Doctor, The real 9th Regeneration during the time war in which he doesnt act in the way the doctor normally would.

Yes, that's what I meant by Doctor Nine.
  • MobesMobes Posts: 58
    Forum Member

Yup, the numbers will end up reset in the 50th
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTRM91 wrote: »
    Either the 9th (or 8.5, whatever people are calling it)

Or just throwing it out there, the 1st.

I don't think Moff would risk changing 50 years of DW, so if that happens then it must be fixed.

Far too much risk of fans being angry, easier to stick to messing around with 9+
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Well The Doctor has mentioned before those who are born into War don't act normal maybe that's what he was always meaning
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nine, and I think this would be the incarnation who fought in and ended the Time War. He'd have done a lot of terrible things during it and that's why the Doctor as we usually know him wanted to forget.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Twelve, I hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    I don't think he's twelve, the very fact he's played by John Hurts rules that out.

Not necessarily. Time could be rewritten and he might never end up regenerating into him. And if he's not (the real or alternate) Twelve then why didn't Clara meet Twelve?
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    He is the original... eleven stated he is not one of the incarnations so my theory is he is the original doctor and all others are incarnations of him
    Forum Member
    The Fact that the 11th said hes the one who broke the promise leads me to believe that there had been several doctors who had kept the promise already, Thats why i'm saying the the 9th regeneration.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think maybe 13th. From what I've heard, a Time Lord can only regenerate 13 times (right?). So maybe releasing he's at the end of his life, he goes rouge for a bit.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno. I think he's an alternative version of the Doctor. The man who would have existed had he not run away from Gallifrey, and that's the reason he did run away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    He is the original... eleven stated he is not one of the incarnations so my theory is he is the original doctor and all others are incarnations of him

Exactly what I was getting at.

He is the original, the others then became 'the doctor' to heal the pain John Hurt's incarnation caused.

In basic, John Hurt is the pre-Doctor.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think he's
    The embodiment of the Doctor's thoughts during the Doctor's more questionable acts, such as the Tine Lord victorious, torturing the dying Dalek, murdering Solomon etc, and he considers those, the worst parts of his personality, to be 'not the Doctor'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I dunno. I think he's an alternative version of the Doctor. The man who would have existed had he not run away from Gallifrey, and that's the reason he did run away.

Interesting theory. And Susan could in fact be that version's granddaughter because we never did get much clarification on how she could be the Doctor's granddaughter.
    Forum Member
    MTRM91 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was getting at.

He is the original, the others then became 'the doctor' to heal the pain John Hurt's incarnation caused.

The Fact that the 11th said hes the one who broke the promise leads me to believe that there had been several doctors who had kept the promise already, Thats why i'm saying the the 9th regeneration.

I mean he can't be the first/Orginal

How can the first break a promise that has not yet been set?
    Forum Member
    Double Post..
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Who do you think John Hurt is playing?

Doctor Zero - He's the original before Hartnell, before he took on the name Doctor.
    Doctor Nine - He's the lost Doctor between McGann and Eccleston.
    Doctor Twelve - He's the next incarnation whom Eleven has encountered as Ten in the 50th.

12 is highly unlikely since 11 spoke about him in past tense, he's either Zero or between McGann & Eccleston.

Also wont affect the numbering, as quoted from the episode, Hurt didn't act "in the NAME of the Doctor" so he'll probably be referred to as something like The Forgotten Doctor or something in merchandising, thereby keeping the existing numbering correct, as only 11 out of the 12 kept the promise, kept to the Name of The doctor.

Tho probably more the latter, as he broke the promise, whereas Hartnell made it, you can't break a promise before making it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 is highly unlikely since 11 spoke about him in past tense, he's either Zero or between McGann & Eccleston.

So who is "The Storm, The Beast, The Valeyard" that Simeon was prophesying?
  • frankiepigeonfrankiepigeon Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I am amazed there's any debate over this it appeared clear to me that he is the original man who later took the name "the doctor". As if the doctor is a persona used to move away from a darker past. a bit like a witness protection thing. Hurt being a bit of a baddie and the doctor his reformed character version. would makes the grumpy hatnell version make a bit more sense too.
    I was convinced before i saw this thread, but now I'm doubting it slightly.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    So who is "The Storm, The Beast, The Valeyard" that Simeon was prophesying?

We've already had him as The oncoming Storm. As for the Valeyard, go check Wikipedia.

The beast is a good point.

From Simeon's POV he's seen all of the doctors lifespan though
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rani