Team GB are rubbish - 0 golds!!!

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnglianBob wrote: »
    Agree with your second statement but the first is silly imo, we might be geographically small but we are one of the bigger countries in terms of financial resources thrown into sport.

I wish people would leave the self loathing until at least our top medal prospects flop!

I accept your point.

I too am a bit cheesed off by people having a go at our athletes mind. I cannot believe that they're not doing the best they can.

And we've got to give the games more time at least before even those that don't care about that, have a proper go.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more the days tick by without a single Gold to cheer, the more bleak it looks

I hear disappointment in the voices of some commentators

They get very near, but no cigar

The ladies archery, leading Russia until the final rounds, and then start firing 6's and 4's

Today, the men in basketball, were leading Brasil, going so well, something happens during those final two minutes.

Effort is good, there is just no medals for those that don't quite make it
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is the press is going to build the lack of gold medals the longer it goes on. We've had potential medallists fall by the wayside every day - maybe it's the press in the first place who build them up and then shoot them down but I think it's now starting to work down to the general public's perceptive of the British performances.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more the days tick by without a single Gold to cheer, the more bleak it looks

I hear disappointment in the voices of some commentators

They get very near, but no cigar

See what I mean, here comes another wailing idiot who has no idea what they are talking about but feels the need to add their own post to a thread they probably haven't read.

It's quite a remarkable process.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a serious note what will "Team GB's" excuse be when we end up with just 1 Gold and end up way down the bottom of the Medals table, even behind Borat Country? not trolling just asking a serious question.

Olympic Failure Excuse Bingo ago-go :p
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I think we will get some ,but not as many as we hoped.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    On a serious note what will "Team GB's" excuse be when we end up with just 1 Gold and end up way down the bottom of the Medals table, even behind Borat Country? not trolling just asking a serious question.

Olympic Failure Excuse Bingo ago-go :p

It won't happen.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The problem is the press is going to build the lack of gold medals the longer it goes on. We've had potential medallists fall by the wayside every day - maybe it's the press in the first place who build them up and then shoot them down but I think it's now starting to work down to the general public's perceptive of the British performances.

I agree. You can sense the hysteria and desperation building up across the UK media, including the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    not trolling just asking a serious question.

You aren't asking a serious question though because if you knew anything about our medal prospects you'd know that there is no evidence so far that we will undershoot our gold medal target. As has been said several hundred times now, we have lost maybe one gold medal we hoped for - our other gold medal candidates haven't gone yet.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as we get more than Australia, its all good.

They were really pissed at us beating them in Beijing.:D
  • iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    I will say though that swimming is down on Beijings performances, hopefully that will be fixed by Rio eh.

Trouble being we said the same after Beijing, that everything on the swimming side would be fixed by London, etc. Becky Adlington did amazingly well, but her golds distracted people from the fact we had a LOT of failures elsewhere in the pool.

There's a lot of dead wood in that team that needs to be cut. Some of them are at their second or third Olympics and they're still making the same old excuses for underperforming.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    When Glover and Stanning win GB's first gold medal tomorrow morning at about 10:30 I'll be back on this thread to tell the OP where he can stick it!
  • PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as we get more than Australia, its all good.

They were really pissed at us beating them in Beijing.:D

Aussies are bad losers :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble being we said the same after Beijing, that everything on the swimming side would be fixed by London, etc. Becky Adlington did amazingly well, but her golds distracted people from the fact we had a LOT of failures elsewhere in the pool.

There's a lot of dead wood in that team that needs to be cut. Some of them are at their second or third Olympics and they're still making the same old excuses for underperforming.

Why would you care? I thought you very renouncing your citizenship and heading off to become an American?
  • iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Why would you care? I thought you very renouncing your citizenship and heading off to become an American?

Why do you care enough to respond?
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think its a shame we haven't picked up a couple more medals (not necessarily gold), as i was hoping the home advantage would boost us a little bit. Plenty of time to go yet though so lets not write ourselves off. The only sport where at the moment serious questions need to be asked is swimming, where we seem to have medal 'potential' but dont seem to be able to quite grasp it.

We still have some great chances in the rowing, cycling, sailing etc and I expect us to get a good haul. We may fall a bit short of Beijing, but let's wait a few more days when we might have a better idea of the lie of the land.
  • AnglianBobAnglianBob Posts: 292
    Forum Member

Today, the men in basketball, were leading Brasil, going so well, something happens during those final two minutes.

Effort is good, there is just no medals for those that don't quite make it

we aren't expecting gold medals in Archery or Basketball so why the wailing?

The swimming has been a dissapointment but not in terms of expected golds. Just a couple of outside bronze medal hopes have underperformed.

We've never been that strong at Swimming, we've always tended to be carried along by a big star at each olympics.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same old moaning from typical DS-trolls. Does it really matter? It's more important we have participants in all events and enjoy the games. To me, golds tallies are secondary and normally spell out the country superiority down to population.

Anyway, for a country like us that's 60m strong compared to America (300m), India (1b), China (1b); we don't do too bad! I'm personally disappointed that our badminton guys/gals are out already today; but we still have a lot to do with our team.

Wait until the start of cycling and rowing finals later this week, we'll be flying. :D
  • PLAN9FANPLAN9FAN Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Its only the fourth day FFS :rolleyes:

Plenty of opportunities to come..:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Just posted this in another thread.......

Being an Olympics nut, and enjoying playing with data, I thought I'd have a look at how things are panning out compared to some of the predictions before the Games began. I've started with the Guardian's predictions:

http://www.stonestack.co.uk/olympics.html

So far, they don't seem to be proving too accurate, but maybe that is because some of their predictions so far were long shots.

I'll now have a look at what other predictions are out there.
  • sparkplugssparkplugs Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    Same old moaning from typical DS-trolls. Does it really matter? It's more important we have participants in all events and enjoy the games. To me, golds tallies are secondary and normally spell out the country superiority down to population.

Anyway, for a country like us that's 60m strong compared to America (300m), India (1b), China (1b); we don't do too bad! I'm personally disappointed that our badminton guys/gals are out already today; but we still have a lot to do with our team.

Wait until the start of cycling and rowing finals later this week, we'll be flying. :D
    I couldn't have worded any of that better myself! :D

I hate how people can't enjoy anything we do unless we are at the very top, in this case getting gold medals! :mad:
  • kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant think of many golds we have missed out on that were expected or we had a decent chance in - the men's road race was a little disappointing but will always be tough given the event and number of competitors.

I would have thought we could have got a few more silver/bronze medals or been in the mix at least and seen a few dark horses come through unexpectedly, but there's still plenty of time left for that yet.

Two good chances tomorrow.
  • RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLAN9FAN wrote: »
    Its only the fourth day FFS :rolleyes:

Plenty of opportunities to come..:)

Exactly.

In Beijing, at the end of the first week (i.e. Friday), GB only had eight medals. They ended up with 47.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kibblerok wrote: »
    I cant think of many golds we have missed out on that were expected or we had a decent chance in - the men's road race was a little disappointing but will always be tough given the event and number of competitors.

I would have thought we could have got a few more silver/bronze medals or been in the mix at least and seen a few dark horses come through unexpectedly, but there's still plenty of time left for that yet.

Two good chances tomorrow.
    RichN95 wrote: »
    Exactly.

In Beijing, at the end of the first week (i.e. Friday), GB only had eight medals. They ended up with 47.

These two posts are 100% correct. Can everyone please make sure they have read these posts before spouting off nonsense about all these golds we should have by now.
  • Todger MoreTodger More Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Dearest Hearts fear not. Whilst "Performance Enhancing" is not a term Team GB wishes to be associated with, I've been brought in to make sure Rebecca Adlington wins gold in the 800m freestyle.