Why are video games so much more expensive in Ireland than the UK?

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I nearly dropped to the floor in shock today when I called into my local GameStop and saw they are selling GTA V (the bog standard edition) for the extortionate price of 65 euros!!:eek::eek:
That is around the equivalent of 55 pounds in sterling which I'm sure no UK people here would pay that much.

It's not just GTA, but games in general are crazily overpriced here...it doesn't seem to make sense:mad:

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    It's all about competition.

I lived in Dunfermline for 3 years and was spoiled by the price of games (and dvds). Without venturing too far at all I could buy games from Game, Asda, Tesco, Blockbuster. If I went to Edinburgh or somewhere like that there's HMM, lamentation and other chains selling games. Or I could have ventured online and bought from Amazon, Zavvi, Shopto and a hell of a lot besides, all with free delivery in a day or two.

Compare that with my little village in the west of Ireland and I can choose from Gamestop or Xtravision. Both extortionate because why not. Ireland is dire for online shopping. You'd still be cheaper to order from the UK and have it sent here. Amazon do free delivery here if the order is over €25 and comes from Amazon itself and not anybody selling through Amazon.

It's all down to competition!
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I nearly dropped to the floor in shock today when I called into my local GameStop and saw they are selling GTA V (the bog standard edition) for the extortionate price of 65 euros!!:eek::eek:
    That is around the equivalent of 55 pounds in sterling which I'm sure no UK people here would pay that much.

It's not just GTA, but games in general are crazily overpriced here...it doesn't seem to make sense:mad:

Shop online?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the only shop in my town alright that sells games but I thought an international chain like GameStop would have to have a set price in all their stores and not be allowed adjust the price in individual stores:confused: That is obviously not the case then.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    It is the only shop in my town alright that sells games but I thought an international chain like GameStop would have to have a set price in all their stores and not be allowed adjust the price in individual stores:confused: That is obviously not the case then.

I'm sure they do have a price structure to some degree but I don't think you're guaranteed the same price in every Gamestop, as is the same in any chain of stores.

GTA is even €60 on their website, whereas the ps3 version is only £38 (€45) on Amazon but the Xbox version is £49 (€58) there too.

Oh, we don't call it rip off Ireland for nothing.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's not just video games, a lot of things are more expensive here. CDs and DVDs are expensive enough too (up to €20 for a newly released album) and even clothes shops such as Debenhams and Monsoon charge more for clothes than they do in the UK. It's mad and I don't tend to shop much in Ireland. I look at the stuff and either buy online or in the UK.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't people in Ireland use Amazon UK?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Can't people in Ireland use Amazon UK?
    We can, but it does mean that we won't receive the game on release date.