Alpha Protocol anyone else enjoy this

HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
Forum Member
✭✭
I picked Alpha Protocol up in CEX the other day for £3, having heard a lot of bad reviews I expected a bad game but I found a gem buried under a huge pile of sh**. For all the games problems (And there are many) there is actually a great idea hidden away under them.

Despite all the games problems I am actually enjoying seeing how the story and character relationships develop depending on your actions.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    It had so much potential and ended it up being just "decent."

I think a sequel would be pretty good (but incredibly unlikely too).

The way it got forgotten kind of reminds me of The Saboteur (which was a far better game imo).
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked it up cheap from morrisons last year but just cant get into.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I picked it up cheap about 6 months ago. Started it but just couldn't get into it. Keep meaning to go back to it at some point but struggling to find any gaming time at the moment.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It was very good. The way the story changed was very clever and the RPG aspects where nice. Combat was ok when you got the hang of it.

Its a shame we will never see a sequel. Lots of potential there.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's yet another on my list labelled, 'Bought cheap & still not played'. Sleeping Dogs & Just Cause 2 are also on that list much to some peoples horror.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it pretty hard to get into, the short introduction and initiation section was hard going and it was only in the cut scene leading to the Saudi mission that I started to get a glimpse of the gem buried deep down inside this game. The Saudi missions were also quite a struggle to motivate myself to play them but once I had finished the Saudi missions and opened the game up to the three safe houses around the world I really started to see the potential this game has.

Evolving the story reminds me of games like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead. Its such a shame that so much about the game is wrong which really dilutes the great idea Obsidian tried to pull off with this game. Because of all the problems this game has I find it hard to say its good, the frame rate is poor, the controls are clunky, the graphics are ugly even the cut scenes have loads of graphical glitches but the story and character development is really something special. The best way to describe this game is enjoyable if you enjoy a good spy story, the RPG elements complement what they tried to do as well.

I am glad to see some other people have managed to discover the gem hidden away under what is frankly on the face of it a sh** game.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seoulite wrote: »
    The way it got forgotten kind of reminds me of The Saboteur (which was a far better game imo).

The Saboteur was awesome. Once you got past the annoying introduction missions to travel to Germany for a Race the game really opened up into something special. The use of black and white which changed to colour as you liberated an area was brilliant and the almost 'Allo Allo' acting added a certain comical charm to the characters and setting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    It was the most underrated game of the generation for me....there's so much for a sequel too.