CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
Forum Member
✭✭
Anthony Moon EE

Tyler Moon EE

Derek Branning EE

Whittney Dean EE

Ryan Malloy EE

Rodney Blackstock ED (Now I know Rodders is great but I feel he could have been greater)

Rob Donvan CS

Frankie Baldwin CS

Carrie Nicholls ED

Do you think if they'd had better writing and different actors/actresses that they could have been great characters?

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Eddie Moon (EE). A character who was pretty much sold by the fact he was played by a 'big name'; it seemed they let that do the talking without putting much effort into the character he was playing. His first appearance in particular was embarrassingly self-aware; he featured at the end of an episode reading a newspaper story about the baby-swap, getting the duff-duff... there was no on-screen indication of who the hell this man was at this point, so the cliffhanger actually rested on 'oh, that's David Essex'. A shame considering his on-screen son is one of the most interesting additions to EE in quite some time.

Also agree with Rob Donovan. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Carla's brother should not have been the kind of man she could trust to leave in charge of her business after being reunited just a week previously. He could just be any old cardboard cut-out business man, when he should have been truly rough and ready. We've had enough suave men in suits who turn out to be a bad egg to last a lifetime.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Vannessa Eastenders- Criminally underused but I suppose any role she plays will be impossible to top Tanya Turner. But they could have done much more with an actress of her calibre.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanessa Gold and Derek Branning.

The first spoiled by a lack of story lines and the second spoiled by the writing and acting.
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Mitchell, the actor was utter crap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Vanessa!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Ronnie Mitchell, because they just threw so much tragic storylines at her people ended up hating her, if they'd have took the character in a new direction and the writing had have been good then I'm sure more people would have liked her. I don't think the actress should be different because Samantha Womack is incredible it just got abit repetitive when all you ever saw was Ronnie being miserable.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Baldwin CS was great
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie and Vanessa EE
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Vannessa Eastenders- Criminally underused but I suppose any role she plays will be impossible to top Tanya Turner. But they could have done much more with an actress of her calibre.

THIS! Vanessa was probably the main one of Kirkwoods characters who wasnt rammed down our throats and pushed to the fore of the show-when arguably if any of his new additions should have been then it should have been her.I dont think Max and Vanessa as a couple were explored enough or given a chance.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Vanessa Gold. So much potential, I'm also pissed off with how they tried to turn her into a villain of sorts and gave her a horrible send off, while Max and Tanya are still living happily despite treating her like utter shit.

The whole story still makes me mad. :mad:
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teresa Morton had the makings of a classic character on Coronation Street and the actress put in some really good performances - but the writing and stories just petered out and let her down.

Years ago there was a character on Emmerdale called Claudia, who was a nanny to the Tates. She was piecing together through overheared conversations bits of information and looked like working out that Zoe had killed her brother, Liam. It seemed like they were setting her up as someone who would potentially get involved with Zoe and Chris and double cross them (this is before Charity even existed). But the actress got married and decided to leave, and it all ended abruptly.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I always thought they could have done so much more with Heather. They just kept her as the butt of jokes, dressed her like a child and had her talking about cheese and George Michael.I think they could have used her so much better.
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rodney in ED is ok as he is. The actor himself (I believe) has been around for a long time, and has been in some quite high profile stuff. Whilst he doesnt have many major story lines, he makes for a good "fill in" for scenes, and I am sure that he will probably get more storylines in the future, as he has been a little under-used recently.

Scarlett? Not really sure. When she was in it first time round, all she really did was bit a bit moany and annoying, and flounce around; didnt really like the character at all. Weather this is the actress, or the storylines she was given, not really sure.

Debbie Dingle may also be a product of the above scenario. But whatever, she needs a hairdresser pronto.
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first read this thread, I thought of Vanessa from EE. She should have stayed in the soap for much longer and I thought she and Max worked really well together . Mind boggling that Ter's still there and she isn't .

Derek Branning should have been cast in the Johnny Allen/Andy Hunter school of East end villain, instead of the very inconsistent character he is now. I also think Danny Mitchell, Roxy and Ronnie's brother could have had a lot of potential with a different actor playing him
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Vanessa. How about Bet Lynch? She used to be brilliant.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS....Yes, Heather as well. I still miss her; she brought humor to EE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vanessa EE
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Vanessa Gold. The most shamefully wasted character in EE's history.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    Vanessa Gold. The most shamefully wasted character in EE's history.

My point in a nutshell ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much a wasted character as a wasted opportunity - Dan, Billy's son, dying off-screen...we're lumbered with Lola as a result. Dan sounded awesome, though, I think he and Michael could've gotten along or become rivals...

....but consequently, Julie was a wasted character, utterly dull and unlikeable.
  • linc52linc52 Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vanessa gold without a doubt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Ramsay Clegg (Andrew Sachs) in Corrie. I liked the idea of exploring Norris' feelings about his brother and his past, instead he popped up for a few episodes and then died off screen on a plane! Bizarre.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought was Anthony Moon actually. I know he got a lot of hate but I thought he was a decent character with a lot of potential , yet they ended up wasting him in an unexplored gambling addiction storyline (that was an add on to the shitty boxing storyline) and a very brief with relationship with Amira.

I wish him and Alice could have had more time than they did. Although Alice hasn't had much going for her where storylines are concerned, I actually really like her. She is a breath of fresh air from the teens we usually get.

I disagree with Whitney however. I believe she is a great character, we have seen her in some very good storylines, it is just recently the writing surrounding her has gotten a little lackluster. I think that they are trying to make the character happy (after making so many characters pretty depressing) but it hasn't worked out because no one likes Tyler.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Maceys in Emmerdale - just too dull, yet could have made for compelling viewing.

Rob in Corrie was sold as a 'dangerous' bloke straight out of prison who would use his fists to do the talking. What we've ended up with is yet another dodgy-geezer-in-a-suit-type, with all the charisma of a loose cobble.

Again, Derek Branning - a character with massive potential that has come across as a panto villain, simply because it appears the writers aren't too sure what he's meant to be.

It's kind of the same with Gloria - the writers didn't know what to expect and couldn't quite nail the character. The saving grace is the fact Sue Johnston is a brilliant actor, and the writers finally seemed to be getting it right in the past couple of weeks.

Also - Dirty Den on his return. The original Den was an interesting 3D character, with many flaws, and enough weaknesses to make him believable. The revised Den was heralded as some mind of super-villain who could do whatever he wanted without consequences, and a nasty streak that bordered on the panto.

I agree with the comments above about Vanessa in EE - a great actress and an interesting character: she had the makings of an EastEnders legend. Instead she was mostly stuck at home cooking egg and chips for Max...
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that Sasha Perkins had potential. But they only involved her with the Ferreiras.