Last Man Standing (starring Tim Allen) – Sky1

NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
Forum Member
✭✭
Hopefully this hasn’t been mentioned already but it appears Sky1 have acquired the rights to Tim Allen’s new (well, its just finished its first season and will start its second later in the year in the US) sitcom – Last Man Standing.

It starts Tuesday 2nd October at 6pm.

I like Tim Allen and from what I saw of it while in the US it looks quite good, nothing groundbreaking but probably worth checking out if you’re a fan of Tim Allen’s work in Home Improvement all those years ago.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fairly good. Not as good as Home Improvement, but if that's the type of sitcom you like then it should be up your alley. I'm glad somebody bought the rights in the UK.

I am concerned ABC moved it to Fridays in the United States. That's death-slot territory and this could be yet another failed attempt to revive TGIF. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled before long.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    It's fairly good. Not as good as Home Improvement, but if that's the type of sitcom you like then it should be up your alley. I'm glad somebody bought the rights in the UK.

I am concerned ABC moved it to Fridays in the United States. That's death-slot territory and this could be yet another failed attempt to revive TGIF. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled before long.

I didn't know it had been moved to Fridays in the US, that means it's got its work cut out for it with season two. Having said that, some programmes do well on Friday nights, like Blue Bloods on CBS.

It appears Sky1 are showing double bills daily so we'll get throught seaosn one fairly fast. One for the series link on my Sky+ i think!

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/09/sky1-acquires-uk-rights-to-abcs-comedy-series-last-man-standing/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I saw one episode, it was the biggest pile of shit going. Couldn't bear to watch anymore and neither it seems could the producers, who've replaced most of the cast for the second series...
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will begin airing Last Man Standing from Tuesday October 2nd at 6pm, with a double-bill. New episodes will then continue to air on weekdays in the 6pm time-slot.
    That seems like an odd timeslot and a strange way of showing it (if I've interpreted it right - meaning one new episode per weeknight).
    Normally you'd expect Sky to screen a new show in a "prime" slot once a week and to do what they usually do: repeat it three or four times every week until the tape wears out.

It almost sounds like they're contractually obliged to show it, but want to get it out of the way as quickly as possib;e and with as few people seeing it as they can manage :confused:
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    Sounds like that to me as well. I hate when they do that to any show, especially the new ones.

I would have thought that it might be a good accompaniment to The Middle and Modern Family, making a larger comedy night block.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    That seems like an odd timeslot and a strange way of showing it (if I've interpreted it right - meaning one new episode per weeknight).
    Normally you'd expect Sky to screen a new show in a "prime" slot once a week and to do what they usually do: repeat it three or four times every week until the tape wears out.

It almost sounds like they're contractually obliged to show it, but want to get it out of the way as quickly as possib;e and with as few people seeing it as they can manage :confused:
    I don't know whether that's the case. This must be a fairly recent acquisition. They didn't buy it before the show began, so they must have known what they're getting.

When they first started The Middle they had a strange way of showing those episodes. I think they started off one a week or so and then turned to showing them daily. It's probably a pretty good way to build a quick following. Maybe they're hoping to build a following, get through Season 1 and then air Season 2 closer to its US dates. It worked for The Middle.
  • SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    I don't know whether that's the case. This must be a fairly recent acquisition. They didn't buy it before the show began, so they must have known what they're getting.

When they first started The Middle they had a strange way of showing those episodes. I think they started off one a week or so and then turned to showing them daily. It's probably a pretty good way to build a quick following. Maybe they're hoping to build a following, get through Season 1 and then air Season 2 closer to its US dates. It worked for The Middle.
    I was thinking along the same lines Geiger.

I enjoyed S1 and look forward to S2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My guess is that they got the rights as part of a package of rights with other programmes, which is often the case.
    I suspect they don’t have much expectation of it, so seeing as they have the rights they might as well broadcast it, and have decided to show it in double bills every weeknight. Having said that, if they had absolutely no faith in it, it would be on at 3am.
    It annoys me too when new series are ‘rushed’ like this, but in this day and age its not a big problem if you have Sky+, just series link it, let the whole season record and then work your way through it in your own time. That’s my plan at least.

But I am a bit surprised that this didn’t get paired with The Middle or Modern Family, the fact that it stars Tim Allen alone should interest a fair number of people.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of Home Improvement which in my opinion is a classic, which led me to discover Tim Allen. It was hilarious! I remember it being on 6pm on Ch4 back in the day. One of my favourite sitcoms ever. I look forward to this but showing it as a double bill daily at weeknights is completely bizarre. This is definetely one for the Sky+.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starts tonight at 6pm with a double bill. Then 2 new episodes every weekday, so get your series link ready!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make no mistake, this isn't in the same league as Home Improvement. But it's watchable - even if it's just for Tim Allen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first two episodes last night, and I enjoyed it.

The best thing about it is Tim Allen, and it’s Tim Allen doing what Tim Allen does best, essentially playing the same character from Home Improvement.

It’s a very traditional family sitcom, but there’s nothing wrong with that if it’s done well. I’ve added it to my Sky+ planner to let the episodes stack up, and I look forward to watching the remainder of the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    II look forward to this but showing it as a double bill daily at weeknights is completely bizarre. This is definetely one for the Sky+.
    Heh, heh. I wonder if Sky had a "London Bridge" moment :rolleyes: and thought they were buying the Last Man Standing show that was on Dave last year. Looking at the description, that appeared (I never watched it and was unaaware of it until my database showed Sky1's LMS as being a repeat:confused:) to be a game show where some over-muscled types overcompensate for their insecurities by performing feats of endurance.

Maybe it was only when the package arrived at Sky Towers they realised they'd bought a sitcom instead :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh, heh. I wonder if Sky had a "London Bridge" moment :rolleyes: and thought they were buying the Last Man Standing show that was on Dave last year. Looking at the description, that appeared (I never watched it and was unaaware of it until my database showed Sky1's LMS as being a repeat:confused:) to be a game show where some over-muscled types overcompensate for their insecurities by performing feats of endurance.

Maybe it was only when the package arrived at Sky Towers they realised they'd bought a sitcom instead :D

I think that Last Man Standing was originally a BBC Three production.

I’m sure Sky knew they had purchased the 20th Century Fox produced sitcom instead.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I think that Last Man Standing was originally a BBC Three production.

I’m sure Sky knew they had purchased the 20th Century Fox produced sitcom instead.
    :D
    Yes, , I'm just being mischievous. Though an accident like that would make a pretty good plot for a sitcom, itself. ;)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quit liking it, very snappy, and do like the time slot given to it
    has the feel of those channel4 sitcoms of the 80's and 90's .....
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Watched the first season when it aired in the U.S and found it really good, just waiting for the second season to start up in November.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly got potential. I can see the 'inspiration' it takes from Home Improvement - ie. the sales pitch moments are just like Tool Time, and that's not a bad thing.

Look forward to the next season. Sky really should be putting this as the lead in to The Middle and Modern Family though, might just pick up a few more viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that Sky1 air a catch up of all the weeks episodes during the day on Saturday and Sunday, along with The Middle.
    I too think this deserves a better slot than 6pm, but the timeslot must reflect what they paid for it so even if it gets a small decent audience Sky1 should be happy.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I watched the first two episodes last night, and I enjoyed it.

The best thing about it is Tim Allen, and it’s Tim Allen doing what Tim Allen does best, essentially playing the same character from Home Improvement.

It’s a very traditional family sitcom, but there’s nothing wrong with that if it’s done well.
    jenzie wrote: »
    quit liking it, very snappy, and do like the time slot given to it
    has the feel of those channel4 sitcoms of the 80's and 90's .....

Absolutely

I'm currently catching up on episode 6, and it makes me laugh, not rolling around on the floor, but its funny and easy watching... I would recommend it....

There's nothing wrong with a homely family friendly sitcom, its funny, (has a good old school feel about it)

some of the easy watchable funny comedies are like that (Cosby Show, Happy Days, Different Strokes, Fresh Prince, Wonder Years, Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, Coach) etc

I can watch all kinds of comedy, (Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frasier, etc) the surreal dark humour (League Of Gentlemen, Vic and Bob, Psychoville, Marion and Geoff) lots of british comedies, like Phoenix Nights, Father Ted, Black Books, Early Doors, IT Crowd, Partridge, The Office, The Trip etc, (and then that Gervais thing in a care home, Derek was actually good)

and this kind has its place too......

I enjoy how its family oriented and the humour was perfectly balanced that followed some life values (albeit American)

I’ve watched it from the the first episode and its as funny as Home Improvement and I grew up watching and loving that show. TV today has gotten more into trying to have the next cutting edge and dealing with major issues.

Sometimes it’s nice to just laugh.

The mother is pretty too (on the halloween episode Ep4, and in the brown leather skirt on Ep6, She looks great for her age)

and its a shame that the cast have been re-jigged for season 2

(although it was weird having a 26 year old play the middle sister Mandy and a 22 year old play the older sister Kristin)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (although it was weird having a 26 year old play the middle sister Mandy and a 22 year old play the older sister Kristin)
    It'll be even weirder with a 28 y/o playing the eldest daughter - who's only supposed to be 18/19-ish in the show :rolleyes:
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    It'll be even weirder with a 28 y/o playing the eldest daughter - who's only supposed to be 18/19-ish in the show :rolleyes:

i like it, mainly because of Tim Allen, and i loved Home Improvement!

Whats this about changing half the cast for the 2nd series? i dont see anything wrong with the S1 cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    i like it, mainly because of Tim Allen, and i loved Home Improvement!

Whats this about changing half the cast for the 2nd series? i dont see anything wrong with the S1 cast.

They haven't. The eldest daughter was let go "for artistic reasons" :rolleyes: and the newer, older actress will take over. Her baby will magically become a 5 y/o. Dunno if the writers plan to carry on regardless, or fast-forward the plot by several years.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    They haven't. The eldest daughter was let go "for artistic reasons" :rolleyes: and the newer, older actress will take over. Her baby will magically become a 5 y/o. Dunno if the writers plan to carry on regardless, or fast-forward the plot by several years.

Noooooooo!!! I cannot believe Alexandra Krosney has left the show, i personally thought she was the best of the 3 daughters, though most people prefear Molly Ephraim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABC has today renewed Last Man Standing for a 3rd season… hopefully we get to see Season 2 on Sky soon.