Dizzee Racal ranting at Radio 1

Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
Forum Member
Radio 1 has played him all his career and now just because they didnt playlist his frankly awful new tune he has gone on a tirade of abuse at the station. My opinion is he is biting off the hand that has fed him, Radio 1 is one of if not the biggest station in the UK and he has just alienated himself. He sold out and then expects to still get airplay when he brings out something a tad different. Whats this guys problem? I find him irritating and think his ego has let him down.

Whats your views.

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I bet the Mercury Prize Committee rue the day they gave Dylan his award :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand him:rolleyes:
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's bonkers :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they have snubbed him as such, they clearly don't think much to his new material and don't want to play it. It is up to each individual radio DJ what to play. They make and break you
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 are famous for this kind of behaviour. It's so petty, and to be honest they are part of the BBC. They shouldn't be telling listeners what they can and cannot listen to, they should let their audiences decide.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be the case that one radio station has so much control over the chart. But I think at least radio 1 is more willing to play more alternative music than Capital. But they do refuse to playlist certain artists for silly reasons and I do agree they are little more lenient to American artists, both for profanity and "being too old.":rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I bet the Mercury Prize Committee rue the day they gave Dylan his award :D
    Why's that?
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I think he's behaving like a spoilt child throwing his toys out of the pram! I never liked Dizzee Rascal, but his early material was critically acclaimed and had some meaningful lyrics, hence Radio 1 would play it as they like to champion alternative music to some extent. When he came out with more commercial stuff like 'Dance Wiv Me' and 'Bonkers', those were pretty good pop songs so still had a place on Radio 1.

But now... he's churning out absolute drivel with no soul, but the public seem to have deserted him as his new album barely managed 2 weeks in the top 40! So it's no wonder really that this has happened. Honestly, R1 have given him far more support than many other acts and have only 'snubbed' 1 song, so I think he needs to get a grip!
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Radio 1 are famous for this kind of behaviour. It's so petty, and to be honest they are part of the BBC. They shouldn't be telling listeners what they can and cannot listen to, they should let their audiences decide.

what a strange thing to say....Radio 1 should play every song that is released ?? there are 100's of songs released every week ...you do know that there are a limited number of minuets in the day don't you ?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Why's that?

It's hardly rocket science :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's hardly rocket science :D
    You're going to need to expand on it as it didn't make sense. So please enlighten us.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

This is the reason I don't listen to Radio 1, Capital or any mainstream radio station. I can't stand the snobbery.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reason I don't listen to Radio 1, Capital or any mainstream radio station. I can't stand the snobbery.

Thinking Dizzee Rascals latest output isnt fit for broadcast isnt snobbery, its common sense.

His latest stuff is complete and utter tripe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking Dizzee Rascals latest output isnt fit for broadcast isnt snobbery, its common sense.

Tru dat.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 are famous for this kind of behaviour.

I don't see what they've done wrong though. They can't playlist every song by every artist. Dizzee's new single, Love This Town, is really awful. I love Dizzee, but it's the worst single of his career, I wouldn't play it if I were a DJ. I'm sure Radio 1 were still planning to playlist any future singles of his, if they were a bit more interesting.

Most artists out there only get their singles playlisted by Radio 1 every now and then. Dizzee has been lucky to be one of the select few to get every single he released playlisted for years. He should be the last person complaining about Radio 1 imo.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I'm not referring to Dizzee Rascal as I'm not really a fan and I haven't heard his latest stuff, I'm just referring to mainstream radio in general. Look at R1's attitude towards Britney Spears (who I'm a fan of). Have they even playlisted Work Bitch or Perfume? Capital is even worse. They seem to play the same 20 songs on a loop. Remember when they snubbed Alexandra Burke?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think radio one do a really good job. If you look at their playlist it is balanced between massive hits, good new stuff and some more unknown stuf. Recent songs like Afterglow by Wilkinson and Youth by Foxes probably wouldn't have done as well without their support and whilst it may not be to everyone's taste, they can't playlist everything. Granted, britney didn't get playlisted but firstly, the song really isn't all that and secondly it has been played a few times on a couple of shows I've heard any audience response plays a massive part in what they playlist - if the britney song has been played it probably got a not-so-great text or twitter response and so that was taken into account when the playlist decision was made. similarly with the vamps - as far as I know 'can we dance' wasn't playlisted pre-release however when it charted well they have since added it to their playlist as listeners must want to hear it.

I don't know if they do this still but I know they used to - a selection of listeners are asked to choose their five favourite songs from the playlist and that data is compiled to decide what songs remain playlisted and which ones do not - this is another way of gauging what is popular with listeners rather than their playlist simply being dictated by chart position - and often explains why songs such as 'lived a lie' by You me and six and 'atlas' by Coldplay remain playlisted even though they haven't performed extremely well commercially.

Don't get me wrong i don't agree with every decision they make, but I think radio one gets a lot of grief quite unfairly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'm not referring to Dizzee Rascal as I'm not really a fan and I haven't heard his latest stuff, I'm just referring to mainstream radio in general. Look at R1's attitude towards Britney Spears (who I'm a fan of). Have they even playlisted Work Bitch or Perfume? Capital is even worse. They seem to play the same 20 songs on a loop. Remember when they snubbed Alexandra Burke?

Maybe the reason "Work Bitch" wasn't playlisted was because it's called "Work Bitch"? Bitch may be a radio friendly term in the US, but it isn't over here...
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really don't think you can leave it to the public to decide what is good music....look at the charts! :)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Radio 1 snubbed her as well. One of their controllers actually said that they would not play her as she "doesn't fit in with the image of our station" or something ridiculous like that.

When she launched her second single, they played it once, then made fun of it on air, letting callers slag it off live on air while the fans calling in weren't put on air. They tried a similar tactic again when she launched Start Without You. Aled Jones tweeted that the song was rubbish and that it would never get to #1, and retweeted loads and loads of negative tweets about it, constantly saying it would flop. Radio 1 also never played the song.

However, they were left red faced when it was a 2 week #1 blocking Katy's Teenage Dream from the top spot. As for Capital, they supported her until one of their head controllers started insulting her on Twitter. Quite bizarre behaviour really.

But Radio 1 as a public funded station should not be engaging in that kind of behaviour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I really don't think you can leave it to the public to decide what is good music....look at the charts! :)

Exactly!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    This thread seems to have gotten a bit "Let's slag off Radio 1, because they're changing the audience they're aimed at". They've been made to go after a younger audience, so they're playing music which appeals to that audience. Whether you like it or not, they've been told to make these changes so now they're doing it.

Dizzee Rascal appears to be moaning that they're refusing to play his new single, possibly because of the implied f word in the chorus (which, If he was that bothered, he could probably just edit out anyway).

This is probably going to come back and bite him on the arse, as they seem to be the only major station that plays his music...
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 snubbed her as well. One of their controllers actually said that they would not play her as she "doesn't fit in with the image of our station" or something ridiculous like that.

When she launched her second single, they played it once, then made fun of it on air, letting callers slag it off live on air while the fans calling in weren't put on air. They tried a similar tactic again when she launched Start Without You. Aled Jones tweeted that the song was rubbish and that it would never get to #1, and retweeted loads and loads of negative tweets about it, constantly saying it would flop. Radio 1 also never played the song.

That's not true at all. I heard it 4 times on Radio 1 the week it went to #1 alone (granted, the chart shows pushed the total up). Infact, the week of Start Without You's release, Alexandra went for an interview at Radio 1 (that was one of the times they played the song).

There's archives of when Radio 1 play songs, so I can dig out some of the times they played Start Without You if you don't believe me.

This is one of the things about Radio 1 that people don't understand. Just because they don't playlist a song, it doesn't mean they never play it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the reason "Work Bitch" wasn't playlisted was because it's called "Work Bitch"? Bitch may be a radio friendly term in the US, but it isn't over here...

You can't say bitch on the radio here, only on TV. When that song is played the chorus says "you better work, work"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

But then what is radio for? You can't leave it solely to DJs or the audience strays because if you aren't playing what people want to hear, then you have no audience. For example, a lot of people at power 105(station in NY) dislike Drake, but they play his music all the time because that is what the people like.

Every morning DJ Envy dedicates a section of their show to a people's choice mix where he gives out gidelines like tweet him your favorite dipset track, or your fave Halloween song, etc and he will play it during the people's choice mix. He did a sick old school RnB mix not that long ago that was tweeted by the people and was fantastic.