Favourite Stephen King books

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I could never get into SK's novels, but "Skeleton Crew" and "Nightmares and Dreamscapes"
    were great story collections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Love most Stephen King but best for me has to be:
    The entire Dark Tower series
    The Talisman
    It
    The Stand
    The Shining
    Rose Madder (which seems to be not all that popular with King fans, but I personally loved it)

...I've also recently bought 11.22.63 on the Kindle, but haven't read it yet - glad to see so many positive posts on it!:)
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my fave one is called THINNER..under the name of Richard Bachman ALIAS Stephen king.
    fantastic book.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Liked all of these

Carrie
    The Stand
    Salem's Lot
    The Long Walk
    Thinner
    The Library Policeman
    The Sun Dog
    Secret garden, Secret Window
    Apt Pupil
    The Langoliers
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
    Firestarter
    The Dead Zone
    Cujo
    Misery
    It
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Blaze
    Cell
    The Shining
    Under The Dome
    Dolan's cadillac

Not so keen on

Desperation
    Needful Things
    Duma Key
    Bag of Bones
    The Tommyknockers
  • sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dark Tower series
    Insomnia
    Needful Things
    The Stand
    Salem's Lot
    The Langoliers
    The Talisman
    The Black House
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    My vote goes to Pet Sematary.

Surprised no-one else has recommended this one yet.

Great story, very scary and not as long as some of his others which can drag on a bit.

I enjoyed it when I first read it as a young 20 something but it had an even greater inmpact when I re-read it more recently after I'd become a parent. Not to give anything away but the main character is a family man who I guess I could relate to better when I was older.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never get into SK's novels, but "Skeleton Crew" and "Nightmares and Dreamscapes"
    were great story collections.

My fave story in Nightmares was the clapping monkey one.
  • InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like quite a lot of Steves books, IT , The Tommyknockers and Christine are among my favourites. I recently finished 11.22.63 and that has gone in to my top 5 . I thought he paced it perfectly . Very good read .
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This question comes up a lot on here! He's a great storyteller, though there was a period after It when the stories he was telling weren't that great, although there's an enthusiasm and compassion about everything he writes which makes even his worst books eminently readable. He seems to have got back on it, though, and it's a good thing. 11.22.63 was brilliant, and Under The Dome was also pretty cool, though he still sucks at endings sometimes... (finishing 11.22.63, I was all like "wow! He really CAN do endings!" Then I read the author's notes where he thanks his son Joe Hill for giving him a better ending that the one he'd thought of...)

Now THIS is where I get controversial- I really, really loved From A Buick 8. I know that's the one everyone thinks is shit, but it reminded me of possibly my favourite novel of all time, Roadside Picnic by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. There's very little in literature that even comes close, so Buick 8 was a big hit with me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    The Stand for me, although a lot of his books are great.

Although plenty seem to use the main character being a writer......still, it works!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all of 'em! My faves are Duma Key, Bag of Bones, The Stand and 11.22.63.

If you have a Kindle there are a few little short stories available on there that are awesome. UR is actually about a Kindle and its very cool. Mile 81 is a short little horror story. In the Tall Grass is another, written with his son Joe Hill. And A Face in the Crowd written with Stewart O Nan.

Cheap to download worth every penny and dont' take very long.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been listening to old favourites (The Stand at the mo) and checking out new Stephen Kings as ever since 'Carrie' came out, he has been one of my favourite writers.

I have to say my favourite of all time, now, is 11.22.63 - especially the earlier part of the book. He seems to have found his form again, as 'Under The Dome' is also brilliant.

11.22.63 does time travel better than any other book I have ever read.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None really Mr King is one of the few authors that I find myself unable to finish any of his books at all.

Just don't like his style of writing.

Mind the only film based on his book that I enjoyed was Carrie.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Talisman and The Stand are my 2 favourites.

I really like how with one character who's a complete bastard you kind of cheer (well, I do) if/when they get their comeuppance and in the next scene there's a really lovely character who gets offed and it's really :eek: you bastard!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I read 11.22.63 and thought it was amazing.
    That was the first SK book i'd read in years.
    The featuring of the characters from IT made me think I may have read that book many years ago but I couldn't remember anything about it, so that was the next one I read and I was totally engrossed in it.

Now i've just started The Dark Tower, and have only read the first book so far (getting some more for Christmas).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I love The Dark Half, although it scared the whatsits out of me. Seemed so much more believable than say, IT or Carrie (both of which I also enjoyed).
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I really liked Pet Sematery (not sure it that is spelt right!!) but I may be alone here!! I also enjoyed Carrie, Christine and Salems Lot.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Oh, forgot about Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption as I never associate that with Stephen King but one of my favourite films of all time and I have read the original screenplay of this cover to cover several times over as I love it so much!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    11.22.63 had me gripped from start to end. I really cared about the characters and felt King really made them come alive. One of my top reads of 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Am wondering whether I should read The Shining sometime as I've just realised King's next book is a sequel to that.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am wondering whether I should read The Shining sometime as I've just realised King's next book is a sequel to that.

Yes, its a great read. If you liked the film then the book adds alot more background to the characters, and the book is quite a bit different to the movie, specially the ending. Can be a bit slow at first but with all SK books he likes to flesh out the characters until the real story kicks in. Doctor Sleep i believe comes out in September this year so plenty of time to read it.

I've just finished the Stand which is now my favourite book he's written so far, if you like SK I'd recommend this one.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Stephen king, my favourite by far has to be the green mile. Other favourites are misery, the shining and Dolores Claibourne.

I also loved 11.22.63 although I thought it began to drag a little in the middle. The beginning was gripping and it won me back around by the last section of the book.

I still have lots of his books left to read as I am such a slow reader. The only book I haven't liked of his so far was rose madder, it the only one i started and didn't finish. Not that it was completely bad but I could see where it was going. I started to find it a chore rather than entertaining to read about such an awful character (the husband). I might try and finish it one day.

I have just started the stand, so that should keep me busy for a while :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    I really enjoyed 11.22.63, I was really sad when I finished that book.

Loved this book, but it didnt end the way I wanted it too :cry:
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched a documentary years ago about The Shining where they explained that most of the book's contents were metaphors. I didn't know or get any of it (still don't) and feel quite stupid. I loved the story as I read it (at face value).
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salem's Lot a vampire novel of the old school.