Will Sharon ever Shine Again?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
Forum Member
✭✭
Most of us on here agree that Letita Dean has been thoroughly diserviced by Lorraine Newman and her writing team since she returned to the show considering it took TPTB a year to bring Letita back to EastEnders...

I wish we could have a Q & A with LN about the state of the show and I will tell her straight-

do you realise Lorraine what you are doing to Sharon for example?

Sharon is an Iconic character who deserves to shine again and I hope at some point LN realises that before its too late...

Comments

• vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ps- I dont actually see Letita quitting but the likes of herself and Adam Woodyatt surely have some clout at EE and should be speaking up for their characters...
  • Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.
    Sharon deserves more than this.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This stint has sadly diminished her legacy. She's a shadow of her former self and lacks most of the traits that made Sharon so popular and well liked. I could forgive the lack of storylines if it wasn't for the fact they've butchered the character. Sharon, like Pauline before her, is a huge part of EastEnders' history. To see her reduced to a judgemental shallow bimbo who serves as a bit player to the Brannings is a disaster for the brand. They've already ruined Kat, Bianca, Pauline and Den. Sharon just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    This stint has sadly diminished her legacy. She's a shadow of her former self and lacks most of the traits that made Sharon so popular and well liked. I could forgive the lack of storylines if it wasn't for the fact they've butchered the character. Sharon, like Pauline before her, is a huge part of EastEnders' history. To see her reduced to a judgemental shallow bimbo who serves as a bit player to the Brannings is a disaster for the brand. They've already ruined Kat, Bianca, Pauline and Den. Sharon just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
    I agree I do not think she is ruined and could be righted with better writing. But they need to stop making her a B character to the Brannings its shameful. We know this is not Letitia's fault she was firm favourite of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. The sooner she gets rid of Jack the better and 5 minute friend Tanya. Vast majority of writers and team including Newman need their P45s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I do not think she is ruined and could be righted with better writing. But they need to stop making her a B character to the Brannings its shameful. We know this is not Letitia's fault she was firm favourite of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. The sooner she gets rid of Jack the better and 5 minute friend Tanya. Vast majority of writers and team including Newman need their P45s.

I don't blame Letitia at all. She has a very warm quality to her acting that occasionally manages to overcome the writing and make Sharon likable. The problem is the writing for the character is getting worse. With each passing episode she's further away from the brilliant character she used to be and not even Letitia can save her. I fear a Kat situation is at hand. Personally I think they've somewhat salvaged Kat in recent months but for most fans it appears it's too little, too late. Sharon is going down this route and it will be a sad day when that happens because there's no going back on ruining a character who helped define the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the right material she should. Sharon's turned into another Roxy, Kat, Mo, Ray etc for me, the characters I don't care about. They are just there.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    I don't blame Letitia at all. She has a very warm quality to her acting that occasionally manages to overcome the writing and make Sharon likable. The problem is the writing for the character is getting worse. With each passing episode she's further away from the brilliant character she used to be and not even Letitia can save her. I fear a Kat situation is at hand. Personally I think they've somewhat salvaged Kat in recent months but for most fans it appears it's too little, too late. Sharon is going down this route and it will be a sad day when that happens because there's no going back on ruining a character who helped define the series.

If Sharon starts punching Jack in the face and shagging everything moving I stop watching. I don't mind her cheating on Jack with Phil or someone as Jack the player getting played seems just. They turned Kat into abuser and serial cheater on a man who worshipped the ground she walked on. Sharon is not even close to that yet. But I do fear how much longer before I am hoping Sharon leaves. And I cant believe I am saying that. I dread the day I see the credits roll saying

Sharon Branning
    Letitia Dean

That happens and I quit watching. As they have ruined Kat, Bianca and then Sharon. Unless of course it has been announced Ross is returning but without that Sharon Branning does not include me as a viewer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Sharon starts punching Jack in the face and shagging everything moving I stop watching. I don't mind her cheating on Jack with Phil or someone as Jack the player getting played seems just. They turned Kat into abuser and serial cheater on a man who worshipped the ground she walked on. Sharon is not even close to that yet. But I do fear how much longer before I am hoping Sharon leaves. And I cant believe I am saying that. I dread the day I see the credits roll saying

Sharon Branning
    Letitia Dean

That happens and I quit watching. As they have ruined Kat, Bianca and then Sharon. Unless of course it has been announced Ross is returning but without that Sharon Branning does not include me as a viewer.

The fact this is even a possibility and that the Branning in question is Jack disgusts and disappoints me in equal measure. Should the worst happen and she actually marries into that family I'm sure we won't be the only ones who switch off.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless Simon Ashdown devises a storyline for her and actually writes tha main part of it she will never shine again as the outside Ashdown the scriptwriters dont seem to have a clue about the charactor which is frustrating to say the least.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree SHaron is still likable but there is only so much you can do when paired with Jack or rehashing the Phil stuff.
  • tfox6tfox6 Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all the critics on this thread: what would be your ideal Sharon storyline ?
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writing in EE is terrible for all the characters, no doubt about that, so I don’t doubt that the writers and producers haven’t done her any service. (I don’t watch EE these days so I don’t know much of her in this stint).
    But I wanted to ask, especially Sharon fanatics in particular, and please try to be objective. :o
    Is she such a good character on her own right though? She has always been surrounded by legends in all her stints, Den and Angie, Phil and Grant, Den again. Maybe she is not that strong a character on her own and that is part of the struggle perhaps. She certainly is not a very strong actress from what I have seen of her last time. She is good with Phil but any staff with him would most likely feel rehashed and she hardly has any links on the Square anymore. Maybe is more a matter of her not fitting in EE anymore.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish actually sharon had not returned, she's tarnished now by association with the Brannings & jack the player, as for change well I think its too late, that ship has sailed and its a bloody travesty really. You would have thought she would have moved in Ian's on her return.

it is what it is, a ratings booster, wrecking a fave character to do it. Bloody shame actually, and to be honest, I don't think Sharon fits on the square these days. Sometimes characters need to be left in the past unless they can do justice to a return.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her fuse blew out years ago!:o The heaving breast, Crossroads style acting and heavy jaw need to go-go-go!
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    tfox6 wrote: »
    To all the critics on this thread: what would be your ideal Sharon storyline ?

Imo, what should have happened straight from the off with her first episode, was having Sharon walk into the Vic without Denny. The reintrod of her with that wedding sham was a no no. Denny's there now so we're stuck with him - where they take that I don't know. Big big mistake and central to the way it's been ruined was pairing Sharon with Jack. Sharon should now be behind the bar of the Vic hiring Kat and chucking out Alfie and Roxy (the latter I really can't stand). Sharon's not cut out to stick with a marriage with Jack - another mistake to have taken it that far. Have Sharon walk out on Jack when she catches him in bed with Kirsty, she'll go to Phil and say ok if you want me, give me the Vic. At the moment, she's just faded into the background and might as well have not come back.
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flipping well hope Sharon shines again. At the moment she is more of a bit player and it isn't good enough. Before she would have (somehow) bought the pub and be queen bee in the Vic and it would be great. She seems to have lost her fighting spirit and I think the writers should give it to her back - and quick.
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it, wasn't it another sham wedding that brought Janine back? Ridiculous.
  • MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grimaced at Sharon being nasty to Kirsty the other night. It seemed alien to her character, I would never have thought the old Sharon would be part of a hypocritical gang of bullies kicking someone when they are already down. I don't buy her 'friendship' with Tanya either. They need to get her away from that plank of wood Jack and the rest of the Brannings, I just hope it's not too late for her to be saved.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Mitten wrote: »
    I grimaced at Sharon being nasty to Kirsty the other night. It seemed alien to her character, I would never have thought the old Sharon would be part of a hypocritical gang of bullies kicking someone when they are already down. I don't buy her 'friendship' with Tanya either. They need to get her away from that plank of wood Jack and the rest of the Brannings, I just hope it's not too late for her to be saved.

Then what do they do with her ? Pair her up with Phil, even worse IMO.
    I could never see where she would fit in with the show as it is now and I don't think I was wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I could never see where she would fit in with the show as it is now and I don't think I was wrong.

I agree from the curent crop of cast but now shes back, they should use her more with Ian. Build a "family" with him. Some scenes where Ian loks out for Denny that kind of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitten wrote: »

I agree, I hate Tanya and SHaron's "friendship". They always want a character for Tanya to bitch with and Sharon just isn't that person. Maybe if she had known Tanya for 10 years of more then that would be different. SHe has just replaced Jane in that role. Drinking buddy.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    Imo, what should have happened straight from the off with her first episode, was having Sharon walk into the Vic without Denny. The reintrod of her with that wedding sham was a no no. Denny's there now so we're stuck with him - where they take that I don't know. Big big mistake and central to the way it's been ruined was pairing Sharon with Jack. Sharon should now be behind the bar of the Vic hiring Kat and chucking out Alfie and Roxy (the latter I really can't stand). Sharon's not cut out to stick with a marriage with Jack - another mistake to have taken it that far. Have Sharon walk out on Jack when she catches him in bed with Kirsty, she'll go to Phil and say ok if you want me, give me the Vic. At the moment, she's just faded into the background and might as well have not come back.
    if phil isnt going to give up lexi for sharon i cant see him giving up the vic for her. Besides he asked her to move in and she said she didnt want to
    vald wrote: »

There is no real evidence she and phil will get together and its not me being biased. Phil can mope all he wants but does sharon really want to go back there. He cant make someone love him
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    She's a plot-device for Phil and a mouth-piece for the Brannings.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but I don't share the Sharon love; I think she's an appallingly self conscious actress who should be consigned back to history. Also incredible that Jack Branning would find her attractive.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Sadly, I can't see her shining again while she'd mired by the Brannings.