Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Jazz Singer [1927]. Director: Alan Crosland

6/10

A silent film with a few sequences of synchronised dialogue and songs from Al Jolson. A landmark film rather than a good one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Cujo 8/10
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack the Giant Slayer - 4/10 - It was ok, but nothing other than predictable. I was also convinced the princess was actually 'Samsa' from GoT but on checking on IMDB it seems not.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Silent Hill - 8/10

Sequel time. Not looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Just caught Argo on Sky Box Office. Rather underwhelmed. It's ok but nothing more. 5/10 I don't quite understand what the fuss and awards were about.
    Same old Oscars crapola. The Academy members voting for the worthy/wordy, rather than the downright entertaining. Trying to pretend they are clever. :rolleyes:
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    End of Watch - 9/10
    Felt genuinely sad at the end.

Me too, even though I saw it coming. Good film.
    The Running Man - Dated (even in 1987), cheesy & with terrible acting to boot, but it is a fantastic film! :o

Given all those things, this film has no right to be any good, but it's cracking entertainment.

Love it. Arnie at his tongue in cheek best.
    Read the original story though, it's amazing. Wish someone would do a remake and make it follow the book.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    End of Watch (2012) 7/10
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rust and Bone - 8/10
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    In the last seven days:

Margin Call - 6/10

Total Recall (remake) - 5/10

Friends With Benefits - 7/10

Trance - 8/10

Like Crazy - 6/10

The Road - 7/10

Men In Black III - 6/10

A Single Man - 6/10

Regards...

RB...
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Proposal 6/10. Entertaining enough but a bit predictable and I didn't laugh at parts which viewers were clearly meant to find hilarious!
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current: Arbitrage. Great performance by Richard Gere, enjoyable film. 7/10

TV: Slumdog Millionaire. Love this film, Dev Patel's just fantastic. So pleased he's in The Newsroom 8/10
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    The Raven ..... great portrayal by Cusack 8/10
    The Constant Gardner ..... very moving 8/10
    Four Brothers ... shoot em up but entertaining 7/10
    Giant ... one of my all time faves and still 10/10
    Black Hawk Down ... brilliant 9/10
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Almost Famous (2000) 8/10
  • JingoJingo Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Unstoppable

Tony Scott's last film

8/10
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poltergeist 2...5/10.

Poltergeist is one of my fav films, I sheould have left it there really. This started off ok but soon turned plain daft..
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Silent House [2010]. Director: Gustavo Hernández

5/10

"The first horror film shot in one take" is the (not true) gimmick behind this Uruguayan effort which already has an American remake. Unremarkable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Into the Abyss

Werner Herzog documentary interviewing the perpetrators of a horrific triple murder as they await execution. Also talking to relatives of the victims and prison officials etc . Really brilliant and moving . I liked the fact he came at the subject from a neutral perspective.
    Getting to enjoy his documentaries having also watched Grizzly Man . Can anybody else reccomend some of his others?. Or just any good documentaries in general.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Four Brother..thought it was really entertaining 8/10
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Lenny (1974) Dustin Hoffman on cracking form as controversial comedian Lenny Bruce. Great performace too from Valerie Perrine as his wife.

9/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghost Ship - 6.5/10 - "A salvage crew that discovers a long-lost 1962 passenger ship floating lifeless in a remote region of the Bering Sea soon notices, as they try to tow it back to land, that "strange things" happen..." (Lovefilms)

It just starts to get creepy and it's all mysterious and then they suddenly make everything too transparent. It's a shame as this movie had huge potential but it is still entertaining enough.

Sadly, the best thing about this film for me was trying to work out where I had seen the actor Desmond Harrington before. :p

Dexter probably, although this movie is much older. It always struck me that he looks like Terence stamp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hangover part II. 6/10. No surprise it wasn't a patch on the first. I think I was a good 40 mins in before I laughed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Just watched 28 Days Later

cant remember ever watching this film, i beileve there are sequels ?

The only zombie films i like watching are the Resident Evil ones, the first in particular ( i prefer vampire films if i had to choose lol)

so i would give it a 4/10, it did pick up half an hour or so towards the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    That's my Boy 7/10

For a movie that was panned everywhere was funny and entertaining
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Dexter probably, although this movie is much older. It always struck me that he looks like Terence stamp.

It took the whole film and for me to finally do some Googling until I realised Desmond Harrington is in Dexter! But it did give us some entertainment value trying to figure out where we had seen him before :p

And now that you mentioned the resemblance with Terence Stamp, I can see the similarity. I think Desmond Harrington could play General Zod in a more modern Superman film too. In the meantime though, I'm waiting for Dexter's to start again. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Good Day To Die Hard
    Geez, where did it all go wrong?! This is easily the worst Die Hard film and even as an action film this is weaker than the beer me local serves..… Bruce seems more tired than a car wheel and the guy playing his son has the charisma and personality of a robust, but soggy cardboard box….. The villains are also very forgettable (even Die Hard 4 had a better villain) and the plot is wafer thin and boring. The humour just feels forced and repetitive (although there are a few good lines – the pirate gun being one of them :D) and the plot and characterisation are just pathetic and the film seems solely focused on the action and how many rounds of ammo Bruce and Son can let rip! The biggest problem though is the film being butchered beyond belief by the censors. It was a short enough film anyway but they cut out all the bits that make it a Die Hard film (especially THAT line!). Seriously if a film is made to be an 18 then it should only receive cuts to get it passed as an 18 and not watered down for a 12 year old audience. Beggars belief!! :rolleyes: Hopefully the rumoured sixth instalment (I like ‘Old Habits, Die Hard’ as the title) will bring the series back to form and will be the last. 4/10 and that’s me being generous. Jesus……

Stoker
    Didn’t plan on seeing this, but glad I did – it’s a pretty decent film. Prison escapee Wentworth Miller is the dude behind the screenplay and it’s surprisingly very good, even if it is chuffing creepy and disturbing. The whole thing is also very well directed and put together – you can feel the atmosphere they’re trying to create. The cast list is decent and the acting is strong throughout, especially from Mia Wasikowska who, as always, gives a bloody good performance (I always knew she’d go far after stumbling across her in In Treatment) She’s so talented and the type of actress I could watch all day…. And night…. With binoculars….. From the shadows……… 8/10

127 Hours
    Danny Boyle does it again! Top director who makes even the simplest storylines more engaging than a marriage proposal… Great stunning scenery, awesome direction, decent use of music and all the traditional Danny Boyle themes in terms of camera work and storytelling (the dreams etc). James Franco excels himself in the lead role (probably the best performance of his I’ve seen) and manages to carry the film (and a rock) on his shoulders. Based on the true story of Aron Ralston who got trapped hiking and had to cut off his own arm to escape. It’s a good film, but probably not one for squeamish people or people who like shiny superheroes, lots of action and explosions. Not sure it is a film that is re-watchable (just me opinion, obviously), but it is very good. 7/10

Scream
    Finally got me arse in gear and saw this so-called genre defining movie after being told by countless people how amazing it is. I imagine at the time it was quite revolutionary, but I found it more laughable than scary and innovative (seriously, I’ve seen department store Santa’s scarier than this film….). The directing of that opening sequence (with Barrymore) is very good but the rest is very average. The acting is also weaker than me lil’ sister and the plot is very standard and at times the story feels like a spoof of all the horror clichés it’s trying to pay homage to. A couple of times I thought it was a spoof of Scary Movie :D That being said, it is watchable, there’s some good music in there (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds for example) and it does make you laugh. Scary though? Nah! 6/10
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Legally Blonde (2001) - 6.5/10
This discussion has been closed.